“Great Lunch at Avenida Cafe and Restaurante”

Avenida Cafe & Restaurante
Ranked #1,360 of 2,064 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Reasonably priced delicious Portuguese fare for lunch with great service.
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We stopped in to just have a quick drink so my husband could take a break and rest his leg. We decided to order a glass of wine and just look at the menu to pass the time. Changed our minds and ordered a meat and cheese platter and some roasted local peppers. An order of clams came past the table and the looked interesting. After nibbling on the first two items we decided to try the clams. The were AWESOME!!!! They were the perfect ending to our trip in Europe. Succulent and tasty and oh so tender. Paired with a nice local wine we floated back to our cruise ship with smiles on our faces. The service was fantastic, quick and efficient. If we are ever in Porto again we will make sure to stop in for lunch at Avenida Cafe.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Stay away from this place!

I went with my partner to this restaurant. After long decision-time if we should go for this restaurant or for the cheaper one next to it, we finally opted for this one, because it looked way classier. Wrong choice!

My partner ordered rice with chicken with the statement he couldn‘t do anything wrong with that. I ordered the typical portuguese dish francesinha. For drinks a small bottle of water.

Well, what we got were two dishes completely drowned in wine (no mentioning of this in the menu!) and a big bottle of water (probably to balance out the alcohol).

The bill also just came when we asked twice for it. Meanwhile other people were already trying to escape from the restaurant.

I have no idea how this restaurant still exists with this poor quality of food and the bad service on top!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Stumbled across this place and wished I hadn't. There were three restaurants next to each other and for some reason we drew the short straw and selected this one. I should have looked harder as customers in the other two seemed to be smiling.

There was not much to smile about here, my wife ordered prawns in garlic infused oil as a starter, I am not sure what we were expecting for 12 Euros but they arrived within seconds of being ordered, there were 5 of them, even they looked disappointed and it must have taken a chef of some genius to both overcooked them and then serve them cold. The only thing warm was the white wine. Our suspicions were aroused that all might not be well. I ordered clams for my starter, I'd like to tell you about them but they never arrived.

I mentioned to Jorge our waiter about the cold prawns and he took them away and presented us 3 mins later with what looked like exactly the same prawns feebly disguised with chopped parsley. My wife insisted she recognised one of them. They were not eaten.

Luckily the mains arrived and I mentioned to Jorge about my missing clams, his attempt to be surprised at such a faux pa was unconvincing and suggested to me that missing courses were not unusual.

My seafood rice was misdescribed and should have been listed more precisely on the menu as rice. My wife attempted to consume her steak but struggled with incision and not just because the knife wasn't sharp. The steak was accompanied by fries, a fried egg and an unidentified medley of sliced plant life.

Jorge meanwhile spent time taking orders from and laughing and joking with a table of drunk Italians who I suspect where at that stage unaware of the crimes being committed in the kitchen that were heading their way.

Jorge cleared our plates and as requested brought the bill, luckily the clams were not on it (did they ever exist?) but the prawns were and consequently 12 Euros was deducted. In fairness Jorge seemed a nice enough chap and clearly able or used to dealing with his customer's disappointment. I wish him well. If our paths cross again it will only be because he is working elsewhere.

1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

It took over an hour and a half to get our food and this was with asking where it was three times. We ordered steak and they brought it to us well done instead of rare and all the food was cold like it had been sitting there for at least half an hour before being brought to us. The restaurant was not even busy at this time. Several people seated around us left after half an hour because their food orders were not taken. Do not eat here! There are so many better places in Porto. What was meant to be a quick bite to eat turned into a 2.5 hour ordeal. We even had to wait over 20 minutes for the bill - which had no discount.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Went here for a light lunch, where the family shared a few snacks to keep us going. Food was ok, service was ok. Nothing to write home about, and I wouldn't go out of my way to go here. I don't really have any recommendations - all I can say is that it is better than the McDonalds on the other side of the square!