“Excellent food, friendly atmosphere”
Review of Rui Paula DOP

Rui Paula DOP
Ranked #125 of 1,947 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In the first quarter of 2010, Rui Paula returned to his homeland, OPorto, with the opening of the DOP restaurant. The new space is situated in the Palace of the Arts - Talent Factory, in Largo de S. Domingos in the historic city center, classified as World Heritage. This building is full of history. It began as the S. Domingos Convent and remained active since the fourteenth century, as a venue for auctions and council meetings. In 1834, served as the headquarters of the Lisbon (later Portugal Bank), and between 1934 and 1989 hosted the Douro Insurance Company. The Palace of Arts, now under the jurisdiction of the Youth Foundation, aims to "establish itself as a center of creativity and innovation of national and international excellence, professionally promoting young designers / artists, and be the dynamic center of the historic center as a cluster of arts and creative industries, enhancing its ability to attract creative professionals and tourism." The concept of the Palace of Arts fits perfectly in the Rui Paula project, who understands the gastronomy field as a creation with a strong cultural component. DOP has been designed to operate as a good taste, space cosmopolitan and yet familiar, and the generator of exciting dining experiences. The restaurant, with capacity for 65 people is provided with the latest equipment and has two distinct and complementary spaces: one show cooking, where the service is faster and more economical, and a traditional but innovative cuisine and dinning room.
Reviewed 24 January 2018

I was actually here twice in a week's time, once for lunch, once for dinner. If you want to experience this with a limited budget, the executive menu for lunch (Tuesday-Friday) is a good option. I chose this for lunch and while all the courses were good, my dessert choice, "The Sea," was particularly interesting, a sweet soup populated with foam and several fanciful and different tasty items. Dinner was also good, with excellent presentation of the courses. If they want to earn a Michelin star, the staff should perhaps be a little more attentive and formal. On the other hand, they make for a comfortable atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

We had a wonderful time at DOP. Let me just say that the service is excellent from the moment you walk in the door, to the moment you walk out of the door. We were welcomed by a great team of staff who were very friendly and very knowledgable of each dish they presented to us as well as their wine selection. The food was beautifully presented and was full of exquisite flavors! In my opinion, the servings were a bit on the smaller side, however, we left feeling satisfied and not over stuffed :). I can honestly say that DOP is on our top 5 favorite restaurants :)

Reviewed 22 January 2018

What an evening we had here!
Food was beautiful, service great, without being too formal, the wine list was very interesting, the sommelier fantastic, without being pushy, all in all an extraordinary experience, well worth every penny

Reviewed 3 January 2018

The owner and chef greeted us on a rainy night and even offered us his raincoat. The food was fabulous and wine was excellent. I would highly recommend going here- easily the best and nicest restaurant in the city of porto

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Me and my husband booked the restaurant for a five course tasting menu worth €85each. It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted to treat ourselves. I am a vegetarian so I went to the restaurant a day before and booked it after having a chat with the hostess.
The first two courses I got were good Michelin star level meals but the two main courses were really bad. I was served linguine in tomato sauce and mushroom risotto. I mean really!!?? Both the dishes were below average and to top it all they were extremely salty. I just couldn’t finish those very small portions because it was impossible to eat the whole thing. Honestly, I make much better Italian.
My husband got pork with potato and orange galette for the fourth course that was also poisonously salty. He couldn’t eat the whole thing. We complained about it and to compensate it we got a glass of dessert wine.
I mean the extras we got were much better than the actual meals. It’s not worth a Michelin star. We live in London and go for such meals quite often. This was such a waste of time and money.

The two stars I am giving is only for the service. Food is not worth a star.

Sorry but it’s true!