We had never been to Madeira and so had no idea what to expect save a recommendation for this hotel. It is near perfect, on its hill above Funchal, with a lovely garden beside it. And they say (I don't play) the golf is excellent.
The main building is a charming 200 year old holiday lodge with two added bedroom blocks. We had a superior garden room; masses of space and a huge comfortable bed.. The staff are kind, courteous and efficient, and I say this as someone who is partialy disabled. They were expecting my wheelchair and had built two ramps to cover a few steps, and the hedge by the steps had been pulled back to make access easiuer. That's the standard of service. And the food justified its Michelin star. Our travel agents here were Classic Collections, who dealt with our unusual requirements as if they were normal. In Madeira Blandy Travel coped with our needs and problems very well indeed. And introduced us to an excellent taxi driver called Teresa. If you want a really quiet holiday in beautiful surroundings on a fascinating island this is where to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Velha do Palheiro is a graceful 5 star Madeira country house hotel with 37 luxurious rooms.The hotel is situated next to the famous Palheiro Gardens, originally created over 200 years ago. Hotel facilities include: Championship golf course, full spa facilities including indoor and outdoor heated pools as well as a variety of treatments, fishing boat for whale and dolphin watching and big game fishing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Prestigia and Hotels.com so you can book your Casa Velha do Palheiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Hotel Funchal
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Funchal, Madeira