3,153 results
All reviews mamma mia ocean restaurant dine around option sushi restaurant lisboa bar koi sushi sea platform casa das half board inspired luxury escapes indoor pool a superior sea view room salt water piano bar breakfast and dinner star hotel main restaurant
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent welcome from the very minute we arrived. Easy and fast check-in and very kind helpful staff. Very clean and comfortable spacious rooms. Pools are a bit cold by the sea but there’s a smaller indoor/outdoor pool which warmer and quite. Food is fresh and varied, not all to our taste but admittedly we are fussy with our food. I highly recommend staying here. Very happy.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lauren O
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

To anyone thinking of visiting Madeira, do it! We are usually a family that tend to leave the hotel and get out and about, not this time. The Vidamar was exceptional. From the welcome at check in to the cleanliness of the rooms and quality of food, we are continually impressed. Despite being at peak times the hotel never felt overly crowded and there was no sun lounger standoff’s in the morning which was a great relief! The food was lovely, buffet style. Each day it changed and offered many options for a family. The poolside restaurant was ideal, not too expensive with service to your sunlounger. Everything was done with a smile! The pools are saltwater, but very nice, the quick access to the sea allowed the kids and us to explore to sea and sea platform close by. The water is amazingly clear! Finally a word on the scuba diving. Michael and Alex who work for a company based at the hotel offer quick tasters to kids in the hotel pool. My three girls all tried it with the older two then going on a taster dive. They absolutely loved it, both instructors were fantastic and I would highly recommend the scuba diving to anyone staying at the hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Murdo_Maclean
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Just spent a good 2 weeks at Vidamar. Although the rooms could be seen as a little basic for a 5 star rating (we had a superior sea view), this was compensated for by many other things. The view from the balcony was lovely and the general location with access to the sea and the wonderful pools helped to make it a great place to stay. It was never crowded and we really enjoyed chilling and dipping into the sea which is good for snorkeling and wonderfully clear and refreshing.
In the vicinity there are several bars and restaurant and local shops within walking distance and it easy to get into Funchal or to go along the coast to the Forum shopping centre for great value branded goods.
The food in the main Ocean restaurant is varied and mostly of a high standard with lots of choice. It's nice to have the chance to have bucks fizz or a glass of bubbly each day at breakfast! The 'dine around' concept is great, we really enjoyed first class sushi in Koi, and several lovely meals in Mamma Mia plus a fun night in the Portuguese restaurant with a folklore show. The service in each venue is very good.
The gym whilst small is perfectly fine and there is a good selection of fitness classes in several venues which you can attend. I did a couple and the standard of instruction was good. My husband and daughter enjoyed the squash court.
They had hoped to play tennis but sadly this was not available despite being publicized on the English version of their website (an error quickly rectified by the hotel once we pointed it out). However, any disappointment we felt about this was compensated for by the way the hotel's guest relations staff dealt with it. They were most apologetic and arranged for them to play when they wanted to next door at The Cliff Bay Hotel. Each time they checked that the arrangement had worked and that we were happy.
Similarly we were impressed with the way they provided a fantastic cake and bottle of bubbly for our daughter's birthday. In addition the lady that cleaned our room (Clara) put a card, a lovely decorated jar of chocolates and a flower in a vase on the birthday, a lovely touch. We were really grateful for that and they way the very hard working housekeeping staff kept the room beautifully clean and nicely presented and were so pleasant and friendly when we came across them.
One suggestion would be that it would be great if they put on movies on the big screen in the area with pool tables which would provide evening entertainment in addition to the live music that takes place several times a week.
Overall this is a good place to stay and we were impressed with the hotel staff and the way the resort is managed.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank CHBgf3106
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We travelled as a family of 5 for my husbands 40th birthday/10 year wedding anniversary,we had such a good time,I have recommended this hotel to so many people.the food was delicious,the rooms were lovely and clean,pool areas lovely and quiet,lots for children to do but not busy.the staff were friendly and helpful,I can’t think of anything I didn’t like about this place and am very keen to book for next year.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Lois1985
Reviewed 12 August 2018

My wife and I were celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere we had never been before, and Madeira was recommended.
The Vidamar Hotel was excellent starting with a trouble free check in, to the fact that the pool area is swept and cleaned everyday, it was spotless. They operated a music free pool area which was very relaxing, not boring, very tranquil just to hear the waves crashing against the rocks I found all the staff naturally very friendly and most helpful with a special mention to Susan Carvalho who arranged a restaurant for our anniversary meal along with a private car pick up.
We played golf everyday and had not booked a transfer to our first course so we took a taxi, 45 euro`s one way, our first thought 90 euros a day for taxi`s was going to be too expensive so we will have to hire a car. We got back to the hotel and asked Simone Aguiar what was the best option. No problem what so ever Simone told us the 2 golf courses operated courtesy buses and that she would book for my wife and I to be picked up and dropped off, now taking away the problem of transfers made our golf all the more enjoyable, both girls went out of their way to help which was really appreciated.The reason why I highlight this is that it was so easy for them to say I don't know, it is not our problem, you should have booked in advance, but they did not. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel no matter what your requirements are, family, single, couples there is nothing negative to say.
We will certainly return.

Room Tip: Try to book a room as high as you can, we had a corner suite on the 9th floor with excellent sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple