“Enjoyable food al fresco”
Review of Ca Te Espero

Ca Te Espero
Reserve with
Ca Te Espero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 646 Restaurants in Funchal
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 30
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ca te Espero is a typical restaurant with a long tradition. It has been known for its quality and for its cosy and homy atmosphere, since 1976.Our food quality is the result of the use of fresh ingredients in the preparation and cooking of our traditional recipes. We point out Bife de Atum com Milho Frito (Tuna fish Steak with fried Maize), Filete de Espada com Banana (Fried Scabbard fish with Banana), Pepper Steak and Pork Fillet Ca te Espero Style.We will be very pleased to welcome you!
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This place was recommended by a member of our hotel staff. We dined outside on the roofed terrace and it was lovely. We only wish that we had discovered it earlier.

The first time I had the steak "Ca Te Espero"; this is served with a slice of ham, pineapple, and fried egg. It's very traditional; we enjoy the sandwich version of this at cafes (with a much thinner steak and without the pineapple) called a "prego" in a Madeiran flatbread. The second time, I had the steak with mushrooms. This has a creamy sauce, and as I'm lactose intolerant, I had earlier asked if it could be cooked with lactose-free cream which I can buy from a local supermarket. The restaurant was happy to oblige and I enjoyed it immensely.

My wife enjoyed both the espada fish, and the espetada (meat on a skewer).

There is a decent wine list, reasonably priced.

In summary, this restaurant has a short straightforward menu, but the food is well cooked, and as a fussy eater, I much enjoyed both my visits. Readers should also note that the place is patronised by many Madeirans; a good sign. We will be returning at our next visit to Madeira.

1  Thank MadeiraLover75
ruben escorcio e, Eigenaar at Ca Te Espero, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for this lovely comment. We will look out for your next visit.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We thought we would give this a try following decent reviews on trip advisor. We should have headed for the hills when it was empty and other places were full. My husband order scabbard. However, when it arrived it was the one with banana and passion fruit. We pointed this out and quickly after the same fish, now soggy arrived back with everything scrapped off the top. The chips were greasy and under cooked. I order salmon which was over cooked. I asked for potatoes which were dull and tasteless, no veg. To top it off the waiters spilled sauce onto a new pair of white pants and gave a brief nonchalant apology.

When the waiter returned to plates still food he enquiries. "Good yes?" When my husband replied no he simply cleared the plates.

I would have least expected them to ask what was wrong with the food. When the bill arrived it was for the full total, not even a free drink for a ruined pair of trousers.

Walk on by, if you take my advice.

Patrick_De_Smedt, Eigenaar at Ca Te Espero, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for your comment.
we apologize for this large inconvenience. We just started with a new staff, this will not say that we approve this fact. the waiter in cause has been pointed out and we also told him how to handel such an accident.
Once more , we are very sory about this and when you return you will see that there is a big improvement.
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Food was very good. Pleasant setting and good service. Fish was excellent and really enjoyed the pears in red wine.

thank you very much for this plesant comment. We now have every friday evening fabulous live music. See you next time in Madeira

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We had been here 2 years before and enjoyed it. The place has a lovely terrace although the road noise can be heard. We were warmly welcomed. The menu is simple but well executed. The Dorada grilled was brilliant with a lovely salad. My wife had a large piece of steak which she enjoyed. A good wine list with reasonable prices. A great chocolate mouse. Worthy of a visit.

Patrick_De_Smedt, Guest Relations Manager at Ca Te Espero, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for coming back, also thanks for the lovely comment. We now have every friday evening live music.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Extremely pleasant greeting before you enter, whether you do or not. Service very polite and quick. Meal very tasty and filling. Other services like toilets, clean and very modern. Someone has paid a lot of attention to detail and it pays dividends. Will definitely be going back before end of holiday.

Thank you very much for this heartwarming comment. We will be happy to welcome you at your next visit in Madeira.