Designer hotels are like marmite - you either love them or hate them. Despite the fact that the staff were delightful and the hotel ideally situated for seeing the town, the Vine unfortunately fell in the latter category for us.
We upgraded to a deluxe sea view room on the top floor and although the room gave an initial impression of modern, minimalist cool it was not for us. Furthermore two unsightly office blocks impaired our view.
There was very little drawer space to put our things in and no hooks to hang anything on. No shelf space and one drawer in the bathroom for toiliteries. So all our belongings were crammed into the small storage areas or left in our case. Furthermore the washing area, including the bath were only seperated from the bedroom by clear glass panelling. The loo and the shower had a smoked door but no sound proofing and they were pretty transparent. Hence there is no privacy. Some people may like this but we are too old for the intimacy of seeing and hearing each other's bodily functions!
The lighting was far too dim and if one wanted to get up in the middle of the night, lights automatically turned on following you around the room, waking up your partner. Also it was very easy to press the control buttons by the bed in the dark by mistake opening curtains and blinds.
Having said this, the hotel is probably ideal for a businessmen with little luggage who want a deluxe hotel giving easy access to the town, but for us on holiday we found it slightly claustophobic. It is situated on top of a shopping centre and is thus not ideal if one spends an extended time in Madeira for a relaxing break by the sea, but good for a long weekend exploring Funchal. There is a roof terrace but very little shade.
The Public rooms were well done and the complimentary breakfast was excellent. The staff were charming and helpful, and the overall service was excellent.
Whilst we were there it was the period of the flower festival and the hotel gave a themed dinner. The food was excellent and the show charming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Vine Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine Hotel Funchal, Madeira