All reviews other guests terrace suite private garden unique rooms modern art memorable stay jorge castle every morning tagus river boutique hotel four seasons palace bedroom tiles luxury city bath
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Palácio Belmonte is not a hotel, it’s a cultural landmark, a refined experience and a luxury destination. It is one of the most prestigious spaces in Lisbon and probably one of the most exceptional places in the world where culture, architecture, heritage, art, style, and charm collide.

Overlooking the Fundação Ricardo do Espírito Santo Silva and the Church of São Vicente of Fora, Palácio Belmonte is perched on the São Jorge Castle’s hills, facing the river, in the heart of the über charming fado district of Alfama. It's a magical place.

Guests access it through a grand and discreet entrance which overlooks a private terrace and charming café (which belongs to Palácio Belmonte).

Having breakfast on the garden or on the suite’s terraces, the very chic Aqua di Parma toiletry products in all the rooms including the swimming pool house, the impeccable, friendly yet discreet staff and private chauffeur will make your stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: Alfama, best kept secret, stunning views
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2018

I would not reccomend anyone to stay in this hotel. The hotel has a beautifuly designed website (the very reason I picked it) , but sadly aside from the web design there is nothing else positive to say about this place. In fact the website is very misleading.

To start with it’s very difficult to find this hotel and impossible to use the car in the area as it’s strictly pedestrian area in a middle of the historical district . The hotel does NOT notify clients about this inconvenience in a timely manner. Finally upon arrival at the hotel I could not access the hotel as there is no one at entrance ( in addition hotel entrance is not indicated it’s just a blank red door) until the waiter from the cafe next door was nice enough to open the door for me with his key .
There were NO ONE at the reception , despite me informing hotel about my arrival time.

The next person I see after good 5-10 minutes ringing the front desk bell was one old guy , dressed like a slob, sporting a old jugging pants full of questionable stains that seen better days and can use a dry-cleaning or two . Turned out he was the owner ,
the only other person that works in a hotel was a bell boy that showed up after we brought our bags to the room .

The owner’s opening line to me was not “hello” or “ welcome” , but instead it was “ you look mad , you should look at you self in a mirror “?! Upon my comment about the empty front desk despite my today’s email confirming my arrival time, the owner deadpaned that he does not read emails from the clients.

Then the owner then barked that he can show me to my room and for me to carry the bags.???!!! My husband was still parking the car 3 blocks away , the closest spot from the hotel. Needless to say the rest of the checking in did not go well from that moment on. The owner was rude , hostile and obnoxious in addition to being a misogynist , he has no business being in a hospitality industry .

Naturally after such an insulting greeting I was ready to cancel my reservation , but I was informed upon my inquiry that my only option for cancellation will be a “hotel credit “ valid for one year. As you can imagine I would not be ever rushing back to this place so it’s a mute point.

For a hotel that charges its clients more than a thousands dollars per night , this hotel absolutely does not deliver quality of service and proper accommodation , to be put mildly . The room furnishings and bed linens were quite shabby and not in a good antique way and do not resemble the hotels website images . Food was beyond mediocre and there were no maid or room service. The owner clearly saves money on denying his guests proper service, it’s truly disgusting. Besides that we did not even a proper hello for $1000 a night!!
Very disappointing

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank allabolgova2071
Reviewed 30 June 2018

We stayed here for our honeymoon and what an experience! With it's winding and expansive rooms that open into more rooms filled with art, books and treasures - it is clear that the owners of this place have given incredible attention to design and infused it with their style. In addition to the style, the staff were incredibly accommodating and attentive, and knew the little touches to make things just so, such as setting up breakfast on the patio every morning. In a world where there are many cookie cutter hotels this was an wonderful treat.

Room Tip: Some rooms have low ceilings so if you are tall it's worth a call to check!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Great place to sit down and have a drink. Staff are very kind and polite too, located in good place. Absolutely recommended. The prices a bit more than the usual, but the unique style compensate that.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

How to describe this amazing amazing place? Is it a hotel ? Technically yes, but yet not a hotel. It is like being in a beautiful beautiful home with nooks and corners, books, pieces of art, details which seem like they have just happened by chance. The views which are spectacular and the icing on the cake are the wonderful owners Maria and Frederic who are the best host you could ask for.
If you are looking for a regular high end hotel, don’t waste your money, but if you are looking for an experience this is the place for you .

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends