All reviewsbairro altoprivate bathroomapril bridgeplace to stayper nightfourth floornight lifebudget hotelfamily roombars and restaurantslocation is greatdouble bednice staycity centreside streetairport busham
Reviewed 24 November 2007

This is a cute little hotel in a very good location. Yes, cute translates as small rooms and small beds. It's also a little on the noisy side, with thin walls. We had to bang on them at 3 a.m. to get the people next door to quit talking loudly and drunkenly so we could get some sleep. The breakfasts are nothing to write home about -- a filling combination of rolls and cheese and pretty good coffee. Don't expect a lot of smiles or extra service. But do expect a good value in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank iith
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I went to Lisbon for the weekend and stayed at Pensao Londres in a single room with sink in-suite because i could not find a room with bathroom.

The location is superb, just a couple of steps away from the party area at Bairro Alto. Avenida Liberdade and metro Restauradores are like 5 minutes away. The neighboorhood is very safe and full of cafeterias and bars.

The pensao has like 3 floors, i stayed in the third and there was a little noise at night, so if you are a light sleeper keed this in mind.

The building is quite old and the decoration is not fantastic (this isn't the W, right?) but all the premises are kept pristine and everything works. The staff were really nice and helpful at all times.

The room was totally clean as was the rest of the pensao. However, the bed was rock hard and very noisy.

The breakfast consisted in cafe or chocolate, juices, bread, cheese, jams and butter, everything very tasty.

The common shower and bathroom in the floor were always available and very very clean (pictures attached).

The other guests were families, couples and young travellers from around Europe looking for an affordable place to sleep.

In general, although at first sight I wasn't totally convinced at the end I was happy to stay in this place, because I was in the middle of the action, the place was safe, convenient, clean and cheap!!! Besides, the views from my window were absolutely amazing...

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 July 2007

1. It is cheap.
2. The rooms where romantic and nice.
3. Good Service
4. Elevator
5. In the "real" Lisbon
6. Very good view.
7. In the first floor is the best cafe in Lisbon!! Even if the breakfast at the hotel was ok, it could not beat the lovely Breakfast served at this Cafe. higly recommended.
8. Due to the Cafe described abow, I would stay at Pensao Londres next time i will go to Lisbon.

All in all if luxury is what you are after this isn't the place for you, but of you fancy a nice clean comfortable place that has more charm that a 4 or 5 star hotel then this is the place.
I would return!

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 24 June 2007

In three week of travel in Spain and Portugal, Bairro Alto is the only area and Pensao Londres is the only hotel that we stayed at that I would not recommend. The Rough Guide gives some sense of the Bairro Alto area: "buildings are often liberally defaced with grafitti ... dodgy characters offering hash still lurk on the corners round the market building (2007 Ed. at 102). Actually, it is much worse. In the evening there are drug dealers on nearly every corner who do not hesitate to approach you. Virtually every building is defaced by grafiti. It was the only place in our travels that my wife and daughter were afraid to walk and even my college age sons felt uncomfortable. Don't ruin your Lisbon experience by staying in the Bairro Alto area. The Alfama is a far better choice.
As for the hotel, security is the number one consideration, which is not surprising. Each floor has an outside door that remains locked so I was unable to access the floor where my children's room was, and management repeatedly lied to us and claimed that they did not have the key to open the outside door so that I could access my kids' room. (We learned from a night clerk that some of the clerks just didn't want to walk to the next floor to open the door). Also, the elevator did not work the entire time we were there adding to the unpleasantness. To top it off, we had a small amount of clothes washed. My wife was told it would be 5-7 Euros. They charged us 25 Euros. The clerk claimed my wife misunderstood what she had said. The charge was 3 to 4 times what we paid elsewhere. My strong recommendation is to look elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank Hawaii_On_the_Road
Reviewed 1 June 2007

Just returned from a three night stay at the Pensao Londres. It was very easy to find despite being at the top of a hill! My poor legs!
We had a room on the 4th floor with our own bathroom and wonderful views out over the city. Ok so it was a little noisy as the keys everybody gets tend to jangle quite a bit but I had my trusty ear plugs so no worries there. If you are a light sleeper I would bring some though!!
The bed was extremely comfortable and the room has everything you need and for €70 a night you can't go wrong!!
The bathroom was ok though the shower is a hand-held one but for a few days its ok. No problems with water or heat from it though there were no toiletries, so bring your own.
Breakfast was rolls, cheese, croissants, juice , coffee and tea. More than enough and the breakfast room is very pretty. The staff were all extremely friendly and all spoke English.
There is a lift so no need to haul luggage upstairs.
We found the location to be great for getting about the city - 5 minutes walk down hill through the Barrio Atlo brings you to a stop for the famous 28 tram.
I would return!