“The best hotel in Lisbon”

Olissippo Lapa Palace
Ranked #8 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
london
“The best hotel in Lisbon”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

After seeing some reviews of the hotel Lapa Palace is my favorite, and the city of Lisbon, had to leave my comment.
The Hotel is simply marvelous, Built in the 19th-century, this luxurious palace is nestled on a hilltop overlooking the Tagus River. I have a drink at the hotel bar was wonderful and had a musician playing the piano.
My dinner in the hotel restaurant was fantastic, the food was the best prepared and the presentation was wonderful.
All the staff were the max, always attentive to our needs, thank you all.

We must not forget that the Hotel Lapa Palace is a 5 star hotel and the prices of the meals are higher, but I can tell you that the food was the best and I cannot forget breakfast was divine.
Lisbon is a beautiful city to visit, hundreds of places you can visit in Lisbon. Some are hidden among the narrow streets of old town, so the best thing to do is venture out and discover them.
Filled with ancient history and a contemporary lifestyle, Lisbon mix the old and new.

Down the Chiado and Bairro Alto, you'll find some of the trendiest restaurants and bars in Lisbon. During the day the streets are filled with animated the crowds strolling the museums of modern art, by retailers, by art galleries, the cafes or the grocery stores that sell gourmet products.

From Low to Praça Marques de Pombal Lisbon will see a different picture, with theaters, train stations, cafes and large squares where strolling. Head to Bethlehem to see the majestic Jeronimos Monastery, the famous Tower of Belem and the many museums that surround it and some days the entries are free.
Do not forget to taste the famous Pastel de Belém
I must not forget also the magnificent riverside restaurant "Piazza di Mare" which is 10 minutes from the magnificent Lapa Palace.
The Piazza di Mare is a restaurant bar with a magnificent view over the river Tejo where they could see the bridge over the Tagus all lit up and also the Cristo Rei
Thanks Lisbon, Lapa Palace thanks.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Caterine Z
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I´ve been coming here for years, mostly for business, and it´s a unique place in Lisbon. It´s tucked away in a quiet neighbourhood, but once you find it, it´s simply fabulous, both the grounds and the rooms. Based in an converted palace, the rooms are truly spacious, and extremely well-appointed. Service and staff are courteous, welcoming and helpful.

And the swimming pool and garden are a real oasis in the centre of this charming old city. The restaurant is also very good, and if all you need is a snack, make sure to order a "prego" - a juicy veal slice and melted camembert in a mini baguette, truly hits the spot!

A must for any discerning traveller.

Room Tip: I´ve stayed in various rooms on various floors. For an unforgettable stay, choose a suite on the top...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Shropshire
Reviewed 26 April 2012

A five day break in Portugal as a couple, with kids at University. A great place to say lovely facilties. Up there with my other favourite hotels - Hyatt, Kiev and Rixos, Almaty

Room Tip: All good - Floor 3 easy access to Spa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Newark, Nottingham
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stopped at the Lapa Palace for three nights from the 21st to the 24th April 2012. We booked a Pool & Garden View Room through Ebookers where we got the best price we could find on the Internet and we got that through looking at hotels on the Ryan Website. We tried to book directly with the hotel but they couldn't give us a better price or indeed match Ebooker's.
Right, the hotel: The location turned out to be a surprise in that from the web pictures I hasd the impression it was well outside the town in a country location but it is in fact just on the outskirts, very much in a built up location which also has a number of embassies nearby. Nothing wrong with the location by the way, its just it didn't match the impression I had in my head. The staff were all excellent, offered us every assistance and advice and whilst they couldn't offer us an upgrade on arrival they did promise one the following day which we actually declined as we were quite happy with the room we were in. In fact the only benefit of the move would have been to have the facility of tea/Coffee making in the room. The room on the 1st Floor which is below reception level was large, well appointed, quite, great bathroom, great shower and l'occitane toiletries. Reception, Bars, Restaurants and all other areas of the hotel were excellent and as expected. Breakfast has to be mentioned because it was fantastic and I would recommend including it in whatever package you take.
Downsides: I cannot understand the policy of charging for WIFI. Nor can I understand the pricing of food in the bar and restaurant. Four of us had lunch on the day of arrival: One Ham and Cheese Sandwich, Two Soups with Bruschetta and a Burger and chips. We had a total of 4 large beers and 4 small beers and we paid 175 Euro for the lot. We never ate there again and the sad part of that was that the food was excellent but not at those prices. We would have loved to try the restaurant proper but it was too expensive. I feel the hotel are loosing out big style here as they have little or no competition close by and with more reasonable prices I am sure they could attract many more customers. Don't be put off though this is a brilliant hotel.
We dined on two nights at the OCEANOS LISBOA, Doca de Santo Amaro, Armazém 12 1350-353 Lisboa. Excellent restaurant and a must especially if you are a fish lover. One the final night we went to A Travessa on the basis of a review we had seen from another visitor to this hotel. its about a 10 minute walk away, the food was just ok, the service was appalling and the response to our complaint was "well that is how we have worked for the past ten years and we are not changing for you". Don't go there its a rip off. You don't get a choice of starter they just bring you a whole selection of small tasters. i.e. a little glass of fish soup, a couple of Pâté items. a couple of slivers of pork, a piece of smoked salmon etc. and we finished with an Oyster each. About six items in all but just a tiny taster of each and the cost id £12.95 euro each and remember you do not have a choice so if you don't eat any of the items you still pay. water is produced throughout the meal in abundance from a carafe at 2 euro per carafe and no one tells you about this in advance and of course you don't get to see a menu of any type until you have finished your so called starters. Once the menu comes it only includes the main courses, the desert menu is given verbally so make sure to pay attention. The Main Course included three fish and three meat dishes. I had "Bull" (yea, very appropriate for this venue) the others had fish and the food was ok. The fish was Sea Bass but it came in the form of a "Cutlet" and I have never seen Sea Bass served like this before!!. Deserts we didn't bother with because we couldn't remember what she said and as no one came near us again we paid (208 euro) and left never to return and we advise you to do the same.
Finally I would like to say something about Lisbon. I would like to say something nice and positive about Lisbon but apart from the Lapa palace Hotel I am afraid I cannot think of anything good to say about it. If you like graffiti you will love the place, its everywhere. The Expo98 area is about the only decent place we visited.

Room Tip: I would stick with the basic "Pool / Garden View Rooms unless you like to make tea in your room...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

From the moment that the receptionist checked me in and then personally led me on a tour of the hotel I knew that this was going to be a special experience. My room was expansive and decorated in a elegant, older fashioned and yet beautiful style. The attention to detail in the provision (slippers that were comfortable, a gown that fitted my ample size, an umberella in the wardrobe, a hand written weather forecast, a pillow menu including lavender filled ones, red and green bows to place on the doors for maid service) combined with facilities that were complemented by an unending dedication to service made this stay truly exceptional. I have stayed in many many hotels, I have never wanted to stay forever and yet here I could have spent the rest of my days.

The Internet is excellent value, being 15 euros for 24 hours, but you can login and logout and us that over many days on many different devices. The business centre and spa are included, and the breakfast satisfies and goes beyond the usual buffet.

It is an expensive hotel, I was able to stay off season and so enjoyed the quality for less, but I can see why this is one of the highest rated hotels in the world for service by Conde Nast and others.

If you can afford to stay here, then do..

Room Tip: Try and get a garden view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business