“A Gem”

Ranked #25 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Maidenhead
“A Gem”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is an excellent hotel. Wonderful situation between Belem Tower and the famous Navigators monument and right on the water. Great views of the marina and sights from the full width sliding windows. Very comfortable room and bed. Fantastic food. Entertainment on Friday evening. Best of all, however, the staff - an absolute delight. Friendly, always smiling, helpful and attentive. If you do not need to be in the centre of Lisbon this situation is great - more relaxing - and a taxi into central Lisbon is about 7 euros or you can go by train for very little.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel - all rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Thank you for your stay at Altis Belém Hotel & Spa. It has been a great pleasure having you with us. Altis Hotels seeks to continuously improve the guest experience.

Thank you for sharing your comments and opinion on this so important opinion site, it help us to keep all the team motivated.

Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services to ensure we make every stay a wonderful experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again and very soon.

With warmest regards,

Anabela Bártolo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe Room for two nights on our recent visit to Lisbon. Our room had lovely views of a small marina on the Tagus River estuary through floor-to-ceiling windows. Our room was quite large with a good size bathroom which had a separate shower and bathtub. We were delighted to find out at check-in that breakfast was included and wifi was complimentary.

We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel’s Café Mensagem and Oyster & Sushi Bar which were excellent. Connected to the hotel is the Michelin-starred Feitoria Restaurant & Wine Bar’s which offers Portuguese products and traditional dishes with a modern twist. We had the Five Course Tasting Menu for lunch which turned out unexpectedly to be one of the most superior lunches we've had in the region.

Situated on the Tagus River estuary in Belém right next to the spot from which the famous Portuguese explorers set sail, the hotel location is superb. It is a short cab ride (approximately four miles) from the centre of town. It is also a short walk away from famous historic sites such as the Torre de Belém, Discoveries Monument, and Jerónimos Monastery which is one of the most prominent monuments of the Manueline-style architecture (Portuguese late-Gothic) in Lisbon. We would highly recommend staying at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank evon802
It has been a great pleasure having you with us; Thank you for choosing Altis Belém Hotel & Spa for your stay in Lisbon.

Also on the behalf of our staff I thank you for the time you dedicate us on sharing your opinion on this so important opinion site.
Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services and to ensure we make every stay a memorable one. Particularly such positive comments help our collaborators to keep a high motivation.

We continue to strive and deliver quality services which are a hallmark of Altis guest service excellence.

Looking forward to welcome you back to Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 29 June 2012

As a business traveller I was initially given a room without a shower plus a balcony with shattered glass. And the aircon was stuck at a stuffy 29 degrees.
I was helpfully moved to another room with shower and happy until I requested an iron upon my return from work. No iron left so I requested again. Iron was helpfully brought along then within half an hour I get a call requesting it back to give to another guest.
Before bed i ask for the iron back or for it to be delivered in the morning as I clearly stated I did not want to be disturbed for the rest of the evening. The receptionist cut me off.
About 30mins later I'm in bed and there's a knock at the door. I ignore as I requested to not be disturbed. So the housekeep allowed herself into my room with the iron!
I complained to reception who said they had not understood me (because they cut me off when i was speaking on the phone) and said they would report it to the manager who would speak to me to see how they could improve the rest of my stay. The manager never contacted me.
The next day all restaurants were full so I had to eat in the hotel. I was only offered a seat outside and it was freezing. The staff also had a no smile policy.
On checking out, there were numerous errors. A drink added that I never had. They charged me for the wrong bottle of wine and even charged me for a room service error.
When I politely explained how I upset I was with the situation they looked clearly disinterested and no one even offered to open the door for me when I struggled with my cases.

Real shame as the spa, location and standard of accommodation are exquisite!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Maria C
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your choice for Altis Belém Hotel & Spa for your stay in Lisbon.

Also I personally thank you for your comments and feedback about your stay and hotel service; all inputs from our guests are an important tool that we internally share and discuss in order to continuously improve the guest experience.

We hope to be able to improve and provide a service by excellence, I appreciate the given opportunity.

Looking forward to welcome you back at the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

Yours sincerely

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I am a no frills, no carpet, wireless-addict kind of person so when I was looking for a hotel in Lisbon, the Altis Belem was the obvious choice.

I did not regret it.

The hotel lies in the district of Belem, outside of the city center at the lovely Tejo River. However, this is no disadvantage, since Belem offers everything, a wonderful riverfront walking path, historical attractions, a world-renowned pastry shop, good restaurants and last but not least, a Starbucks Café.

Taxis are very affordable in Lisbon and there are also buses (regular and sightseeing) and trams going into downtown. For public transportation it’s a 10 minutes’ walk (at most) either to Jeronimos Monastery or to the Discoveries Monument - two of the must-see sights anyway.

Our deluxe room (Ethiopia) was well sized with a lovely view towards Doca da Bom Sucesso (small marina). It offered all amenities, huge wardrobe, minibar, coffee machine (Nespresso), desk with work station, sofas, safe, flat screen TV, blackout blinds and electrically controlled shutters, walk-in shower, bathtub, two washbasins, hairdryer, feather duvet … you name it.

The service was exemplary throughout, be it to fix our hair dryer, at breakfast or from the reception staff. They all knew English well enough to make it no problem to communicate.

The selection at the breakfast buffet was ok, but not excessively wide and what I missed most was a bigger choice of bread. Despite not many guests being present, it sometimes took a while to get the warm food refilled, particularly the scrambled eggs. But when the fresh food came, one attentive female staff member brought a plate right to the table - very nice touch!

We also went to the Spa once for the pool and the steam bath. The setup is very modern, chic and inviting; we felt very comfortable and enjoyed the tranquility.

So was there anything that could have been better? Yes, of course.

1. WiFi: There is WiFi throughout the hotel, but the login is only good for a limited time and it gets boring to re-login again and again …. Also, we got the login data on a piece of paper that said it costs EUR 20 for every login (gulp!), but then it turned out that it was free after all. -- How about changing the handouts or the whole process altogether?

2. Coffee: It’s awfully nice to have a Nespresso coffe machine in the room, but paying EUR 3 for a cuppa? I don’t think so. -- How about free coffee or at least charging at cost price?

3. TV: Ok, so I was on holidays and didn’t really need to watch TV. Therefore I haven’t cried one tear over the channel variety …. -- Cable, anyone?

So truly, apart from these minor imperfections, I can highly recommend the Altis Belém Hotel and would go back there anytime.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank missliberty8
Dear Guest,

Altis Belém Hotel & Spa seeks to continuously improve the guest experience. Thank you for your choice and feedback, your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services to ensure we make every stay a memorable one.

We continue to strive and deliver quality services which are a hallmark of Altis guest service excellence and look forward to improve our services according to your pointing out issues, we took good note.

Looking forward to welcome you back to Altis Belém Hotel & Spa, I remain

Yours sincerely

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The reviews and pictures really cannot prepare you for this fabulous hotel. As your room opens to the river view, you are absolutely swept away by the magnificent view and tranqulity. The staff did a fabulous job of making sure each moment of our visit was perfect. Their recommendations for restaurants and a bike tour were perfect.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MizRella
, General Manager at Altis Belem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
The importance of our work's recognition is the great pleasure on reading your review, on the behalf of our entire staff, I thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Your comments and suggestions help us fine-tune our services to ensure we make every stay a memorable one.

Again thank you for having chosen the Altis Belém Hotel & Spa for your stay in Lisbon.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Warm regards