“Bob is the best!”

Ranked #16 of 445 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Vega Alta, Puerto Rico
“Bob is the best!”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This is the best hostel ever!!! Very comfy, you feel like in your house.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toledo, Spain
Reviewed 22 January 2012

In a new country where you don't know anyone and don't speak the language, it's wonderful to find a place where you feel perfectly comfortable, even surrounded by strangers. Traveling with four other students studying abroad and on a tight budget, we'd all had our fill of feeling uncomfortable, but the moment we opened the green gate leading into the hostel, we all breathed a sigh of relief: we'd found the perfect place. The staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming (Bobby and Carlos are hilarious!), the food is great, and the whole feel of the place made our stay that much more enjoyable. Even if you have no idea what to do in Lisbon, the tours offered are so fun, and the family environment makes you wish you didn't have to leave. I recommend this hostel for anyone going to visit Lisbon, and I am definitely going to be coming back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Jaoa is possibly the best landlord in the world. This place is a home away from home, for travelers, students, and anybody looking for a bed. Marissa, the cook, is perhaps my favorite person on Earth. She makes 3 course meals from fresh, local ingredients for 8 Euros. Jaoa is very environmentally conscious, as shown by the compost heap and garden. The place is a little quiet, so if you're looking for a party, get ahold of the staff and stay at Jaoa's other pad in downtown Lisbon. The decor is solidly retro-cozy, with rooms to match, in that inimitable Portuguese style. Only complaint is the (completely clean) bathroom is a bit far for my room after a few bottles of Port, and that the hotel is up a steep hill. This affords a great view, but with all you'll be eating and drinking, be sure to keep a business card handy for the taxi.

Room Tip: Multi-bed dorms are very often empty in winter, and they won't charge you extra.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My two stays at this hostel in Lisbon, Portugal was incredible. The staff is friendly, sociable, knowledgeable, & very helpful. They have theme nights every night of the week, so you will never be bored or lacking for something to do if you want. They were happy to accommodate my extra luggage when I wanted to take a side trip to the Algarve region, of which they literally took a load off my back. And when I realized that I left my passport in the hostel, as I was traveling in southern Portugal, they replied back ASAP and told me that it is safe with them. The hostel is clean with a neat funky feel. And out of my 6 bed dorm room the terrace has a view of the port of Lisbon!- Incredible! I would recommend this hostel to everyone, especially people that want to experience the character of Alfama the older part of Lisbon. Thanks Alfama Patio Hostel for giving me an excellent & fun introduction to Lisbon!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank RSaylor
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This hostel was the first and the last place where I spent time for rest and sleep in my first visit of Lisbon, Portugal. I literally knew nothing about this place before I got here because I came here with a team and one of us booked this place for the team. However, the surroundings, location, rooms, and facilities were met above my expectation. If there is anyone trying to find a hostel with reasonable price, comfortable room, and perfect location for tourism, I strongly recommend this hostel for you.

P.S. - Although I did not sleep in a room with King size bed where only allows two persons for sleep, I would love to try it out whenever I get a chance to come back to Lisbon. Because the couple bed room is amazing!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends