MAAT - Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology

from US$ 40.90
More Info
from US$ 26.90
More Info
All reviews power station power plant beautiful building british architect current exhibition thought provoking amazing space interesting place april bridge cristo rei tejo river lisbon card belem tower installation exhibits machinery tate
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I went to that part of the riverfront after visiting Cristo Rei,for viewing sunset and Ponte 25 de Abril. It was very pleasant to walk along the promenade. The museum has 2 parts, one a brick structure, the former Tejo Power Station, now turned science museum. Another is a beautiful modern structure designed by British architect Amanda Levete, covered with ceramic tiles and with a cantilevered rooftop terrace where you can walk up. As it was late and near the closing time of the museum, I didn't visit the former power station (very atmospheric when lighted up in the evening). But with a free ticket, I managed to get inside the new building for a sneak peek. The large sunken Oval Gallery has a long ramp. There was an exhibition (commissioned by MAAT), Bill Fontana: Shadow Soundings, with video and sound installations on Ponte 25 de Abril and Rio Tejo. It was very interesting. Wish I had got there earlier.
Day or night, you can enjoy beautiful views from there on the riverfront promenade or up on the rooftop terrace.
Would definitely go back next time in Lisbon.

1  Thank A Y
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Museum of art architecture and technology, few hours visit is enough. FIRST SUNDAY of the month is FREE. Art section, visual gallery was closed under maintenance. On the other hand the technology part and the factory is the red building next to it is a must visit. Kids would like it too as it as self do science experiments.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The building is fantastic - a piece of architecture that has to be seen. The modern art inside didnt on this occassion appeal to me but for some it will be great. In a superb area of Lisbon and a full day can be spent here.
The power station is listed as closed - IT ISNT - it is very much open and has to be one of the best museums I have ever visited. A closed power station so superbly restored and displayed. HAS TO BE VISITED

1  Thank Howard-Liverpool
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We went there to the general/permanent exhibition. They charged 9€ for literally nothing. The main room was closed. There was no structure for the 'one' artist that was being shown. Staff was very rude. It worth going to see the building though. Nice facade and accessible roof. (At least they don't charge you to go up there).

1  Thank moi669
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I expected more. Local travel magazine in Finland had just hyped the brand new MAAT museum in its latest issue before my trip how this is the one museum in Lisbon everybody is currently talking about. And I wanted to see it. Also last year I visited DOX Centre for Contemporary Art in Prague, was impressed by it and thought MAAT would be somewhat similar experience during my visit in Lisbon. For some reason it wasn't.

The new MAAT building is however impressive to look at on the outside. You can walk on top of it to have a nice view of the river and Belem for free. I like the fact that this new building and art museum is attached to the old Tejo power station as I am a fan of everything old made meaningful again.

Museu da Electridade was better of the two, attached museums. We went there first. Thanks to this one video on display in english as well I was to understand how the station had been working. As a museum it could be better, but if you like old factory buildings like I do, it's worth it.

Then the modern part of the MAAT. I expected more variety in exhibitions. Maybe it was just a bad time to visit, maybe there was a change between exhibitions going on but there was just this one exhibition with loads of video art. Tension and Conflict video art after 2008 it was called. The theme was interesting but still I had energy to focus on just some of the videos. Also that type of space with videos here and there rolling non-stop, it causes annoying cacophonia.

But I hope this museum complex finds its wings. These type of places are on my list when traveling. We had a Lisbon card so with that both of the museums were free for us.

The river side and walkaway in front of the museum is nice to stroll along. From here we walked to see Padrao dos Descobrimentos monument. You can get to MAAT and Belem by train from Cais do Sodre station.

1  Thank Miina S