“Good evening meal in central Velas”

Restaurante Sao Jorge
Ranked #9 of 19 Restaurants in Velas
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed 30 June 2016

We had a lively evening meal in Cervercaria as Portugal were playing Poland and all eyes were glued to the television in the bar / restaurant! The restaurant's prices are very reasonable and our potions of tuna steak and fish fillet were generous. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We'd certainly recommend this casual restaurant if you are after a laid back meal with simple food done really well.

Reviewed 21 October 2015

I prefer to eat at lunchtime, and I noticed that one of the Prat do Dia was Alcatra, one of my favourites. Knowing how large most of the helpings are in the Azores, I asked for no potatoes or rice, just salad. I had a very large portion of tender, melt in the mouth beef that had been slowly cooked in wine, a large salad of freshly grated white cabbage and carrot, bread and butter, a small jug of house wine, a small bottle of water and an espresso coffee, for the grand sum of €5.30! And that is not a typo! An excellent meal, friendly staff, very pleasant surroundings. This was on my last day and I wish I had tried it sooner!!

1  Thank Ann P
Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

Good and big restaurant. Nice price. Good service. They have terrace but with few tables so better make a reservation if you don't want to eat inside in the summer.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

A basic local restaurant, but we had a very good meal. The menu has some interesting English translations, but the food we had was all very good. As always in the Azores, fresh and local. Highlights were a kebab of huge prawns, steak which turned out to be excellent veal from the patrons own cows, and the worlds most filling pizza which defeated our 16 year old son! Very good value for money too.

Reviewed 21 July 2015 via mobile

Good aspects : toilets are clean and have soap. The restaurant is clean too. Cheap: we paid 7.40 for two plates of cod fish and 500ml of house wine (I didn't drink the wine though as it tasted as if they had thinned it down with water)
To work on: we ate "bacalhau com natas " but it seemed more like tiny pieces of cod and fried potato were drowning in some pudding - like sauce. Tasted fresh and the side salad was nice and simple.
Overall pretty mediocre.