“Wonderful Hidden Gem full of Charm and Character! ”
Review of Casa de Estoi

Casa de Estoi
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Having read very good reviews of this hotel/guesthouse, I booked us into the suite for one night. On arrival we were given a tour by the lively and friendly Caterina, who manages the guesthouse with great gusto taking care of your every need! This house was the home of the President of Faro and still retains all the original features, and just oozes character from every room. The tempting smell of freshly baked apple cake wafted through the kitchen ready for tomorrow's breakfast! Every room showed us a piece of the family history and at the conclusion of the tour was the outside courtyard with a circular pool, next to the outside breakfast eating area.
Our next treat was the suite, as we entered the room there was a small staircase down to a stunning lounge area, overlooking the pool. Down a wardrobe lined corridor was a bathroom on the right, then at the end was a lovely twin bedroom, and then another shower room, adjoining the main double bedroom, what a fantastic suite it was! Everything was extremely tasteful and very clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the only downside was that the rooms overlooked the street, so was a bit noisy.
Caterina was so helpful and recommended us to a local restaurant nearby where we had a reasonable meal for 8 euros!
In the morning, there was a delicious breakfast served in the courtyard with the apple cake, as well as cereals, fresh orange juice, eggs made whichever way by Caterina herself, plus a number of Portuguese cakes!

I would say that this is a place where one can relax and unwind, but is not near to the beach. Just a great base to visit other places, or a stopover near to the airport.

However I would highly recommend a visit here, you will not be disappointed and we are certainly going to visit again!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michie_bennett

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I did not use the pool so cannot comment on it however, everything was just as i expected and more from the description.

Katarena was there to make sure everybody was happy and the place and atmosphere was perfect, i did not notice any problems with the hot water and yes the church bells were a wee bit annoying but thats not the their fault its tradition. I spent most of my time hanging around the place as it was perfect for what i wanted and i even wrote what may turn out to be one of my best songs there, i would definitely go again.

Room Tip: If you are fussy about traffic noise go for a room at the back
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank lovejumping
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Oh Boy!! As much as I would love to give a great review, I can't. Katharina and Jorge were fantastic. The breakfast was good and well worth the extra money. But... The constant noise from the traffic nearly drove me crazy, the church that chimed every 1/2 was annoying, and I did not have a hot shower for 6 days straight. We were hoping for a beautiful peaceful courtyard to relax in but the din of traffic was overwhelming. We were in the middle of no where, where was everyone going?? The courtyard was ok but not quiet as nice as in the photos. The pool was not heated.
We did enjoy sitting with the other guests and getting to know each other over breakfasts. We met some very interesting people. The inn was well loved and a little run down but charming at the same time. It was rated as a 4-5 star on Expedia but it really wasn't .
Because the staff were so amazing I would love to rate it better.

Room Tip: We had the suite, it had 2 bedrooms 2 baths. Great for family.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 275yvetter
Reviewed 7 July 2017

This was our third stay and it just gets better and better! This time we had the double room Miosotis. Large and comfortable with antique furniture, super bathroom and plenty of storage. The bed was huge and not as comfy as the one we had previously but we slept well. Breakfast was perfect and gives you opportunity to chat to other guests. Food, as always, was fresh and plentiful. Warm rolls, croissant, pastries and home made cake. Fresh figs, cherries and melon. Cheeses ,ham and eggs of your choice cooked for you. Orange juice is freshly squeezed and delicious! Caterina is an amazing hostess and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. My top tip is to book direct and save on any other web price. The nearest beach is Faro beach which was perfect for us. 15 mins by car and a perfect place to chill. Never too crowded but everything you need. Beds to hire, WiFi and easy parking. Great cafés on the beach for lunch and drinks. There is a pool at the hotel to cool off in when you return. Towels are provided, which is great for beach trips!
Estoi is a typical, sleepy town with amazing buildings completely unspoilt by tourism. There are 3 or 4 local restaurants in easy walking distance with typical cuisine at very good prices. The only down side is a car is preferable to get to the coast.if you want a typically Portuguese welcome away from the tourist hoards, this place is a must! Such good value, never disappoints!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you want perfect peace and quiet
Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne E
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Katarina was amazing. She was prompt at replying to emails and helpful with advice. Her welcome was warm and as I arrived late she was careful to be mindful of other guests who may be asleep. The room was gorgeous. The bed perfect for me. Everything I needed.

The breakfast was varied and more than enough. The pool was great and Katarina and the owner (I am so sorry, I didn't catch your name!) were more than happy for me to use it beyond check out time.

The house has a lot of history, interesting, clean and tidy.

Just wished I had stayed a few more days.

Although I was only there overnight, I would say this is a nice little place to get away from too many tourists and is a 30 minute bus ride to Faro.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo