All reviews dressing area all inclusive package master bedroom pool area self catering downstairs toilet stayed all inclusive steam room main bedroom fully equipped kitchen dishwasher tablets half board games room reception staff sun loungers buffet style restaurants within walking distance
Reviewed 3 October 2018

As many reviewers have commented before me I will start this review by stating that this absolutely is not a 5* Hotel, it's a 3* at best with 1* Management. I just wished I had taken note of these prior reviews and had not been fooled by the exaggerated average review scores – more on this later.

My family and I stayed in one of the resorts Private Villa's which whilst spacious and with a private pool were in a poor state of repair and were poorly maintained. We complained over the course of the week about the poor quality of the pool which my children refused to swim in due to the amount of algae and dirt in the pool.

My biggest mistake was booking the ‘All-inclusive' meal package. The restaurant area was very run down and when my family and I arrived for dinner on our first night it was buffet-style (despite being advertised as a la carte. The cold food, salad etc had been left out in the warm conservatory without any covers or refrigeration/ice and was surrounded by flies. The hot food was also left uncovered and was lukewarm.

The quality of the food and unsanitary conditions led me to return my ‘All-inclusive' passes the next morning and refusing to eat at the hotel. Instead, we chose to eat locally and were very happy with the local restaurants that are of the standard you would usually expect in Portugal.

I spent 25% of my holiday complaining to hotel staff and their elusive management – trying to get a meeting with the manager was like trying to find the Wizard of Oz. The handling of my complaint was awful, like squawking seagulls, their staff repeatedly advised "No refunds" and their lack of patience and swift response to the complaint showed they were well rehearsed in trying to fob off complaining customers.

After finally meeting with an Interim-Manager it was agreed that they would refund me for the food element of my booking. However, three months on I have had to pursue the hotel via Mastercard and initiate a charge-back. I would urge anyone who for some strange reason chooses to stay at this hotel to protect yourselves and pay via a tour operator and pay by credit card.

To make matters worse the hotel is also next to a large building site and despite asking for a Villa at the other side of the resort we were placed next to the site where works began promptly at 07:45 each day.

The hotel also has poor waste management with rubbish left everywhere and collected infrequently. We also witnessed the horrifying scene of live electrical wiring by the poolside.

Despite it being a legal requirement, the hotel also refused to provide a copy of their Livro de Reclamações (Complaints book).

The sting in the tail from this hotel was their underhand tactics to make a condition of their refund (for services not used) that I sign a non-disclosure agreement and did not publish my experience online – I expect this is why the review ratings for this hotel are so misleading.

Portugal is a fantastic holiday destination with some fantastic hotels, this is not one of them, do not waste your hard-earned money and time with your family at the Agua Hotels Vale Da Lapa!

Please see some of our pictures we took on holiday that brings the Agua Hotels Vale Da Lapa to life!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank andrewmS7514IA
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Perfect resort on the edge of cavoerio. Quiet and relaxing perfect for us. Beautiful apartment style accommodation. Staff really helpful. We would go back again and would definitely recommend to others.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2018

The entire apartment was huge for two adults and one child, spaceous bathroom and small bathroom/toilet in ground floor.
nice view on the street on the back side of the apartment and view on the rest of the apartment houses.
The apartment has a ground terace and also a balcony in a bedroom upstairs.
The parking is possible just beside the houses.
Breakfast was nice - plenty of choices for everyone and the entire personal there is great and friendly.
The restaurant is on the reception - on the top of the resort, there is also public spa and pool for all the guests.

Overall nice hotel - I will recommend the hotel for all travelers.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2018

Beautiful Location and surroundings. The accommodation is spotlessly clean and very spacious with all the amenities you could need.
The grounds are also kept to a very high standard.
Although we travelled in August the resort was never overcrowded at any point.
The staff are welcoming and very helpful.
Although in walking distance of Carvoeiro (40mins) you would probably not want to do the walk with children, However taxi's are very reasonable (6-7 Euro each way).
The breakfast was very good although i would probably not recommend going Full Board or Inclusive.
Overall a lovely small Resort

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2018

Nice, quiet resort style premises. Apartments/ villas are very spacious and well equipped. Maintenance deserves some attention (e.g. mold on wall between bathroom and bedroom!).
Frankly, overall, we were about to leave with a smile on our face. All the more a pity that we had a bad check-out experience. Unfriendly lady at the reception who was primarily interested in us leaving a.s.a.p. and did not even ask how our stay was and whether we had a good time. Such a shame as it is only a small effort to be friendly and show some interest in guests' experience...

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple