1,271 results
All reviews gin bar nature reserve mamma mia ocean buffet half board buffet restaurant bali beds sunset bar private swimming pool breakfast and dinner five star hotel salgados beach family room bedroom villa main pool is kids club direct access
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

We traveled from Switzerland and stayed 5nights in the resort. The weather in June was quite chill (14 - 20 degree) and it was too cold for family to swim. In Feb when we booked, we checked with the hotel reservation and they even said May is ok to swim and June will be 100% ok. Weather is out of control but they could be more cautious with their communication. Anyway, with this weather both my wife and 1yr old son became sick and we struggled for the 2nd half of our stay. On the departure date, we asked the front desk if they can allow us to late check out by 4pm because my family are stick while our flight is in the evening. Front desk manager confirmed it’s ok given the occupancy rate at that time and he asked me to double check once again after 6pm. I called back after 6pm and spoke to a dity manager called Dianas Marques. The way she treated a guest and communicated was worst I’ve ever seen. She said “the maximum we can offer you is upto 2pm and if you stay any longer, we will charge you full room price. If you stay later than 2, we can’t sell the room. You can stay longer if you want as long as you pay. I don’t know how this was committed by the person in the front desk but they may be trainees who don’t understand the hotel policy.” It’s completely ok to not give late check out as requested but the way she communicates had no emotion or sympathy or not even apologized on the internal miscommunication of their resort and she even cut me off several times while I was speaking. Duty manager exists to help deal with difficulties customers are facing and I couldn’t understand why this resort has such a duty manager and I of course made up my mind to never come back to this resort after this happened. Facility is ok but customer service isn’t definitly at 4 or 5 stars.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Daniel C
CardosoJ, Diretor-Geral at VidaMar Resort Hotel Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Dear Mr. Daniel C,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Vidamar Resort Hotel Algarve.

We apologize for the unacceptable incident involving one of our managers on duty and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We take pride in delivering the highest service standards to our guests and with your valued feedback, we hope to do better.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly (customer.service@algarve.vdm.pt) if we may be of any further assistance. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Vidamar Resort Hotel Algarve again and assure you of our team's dedication to serving our guests to the best of our abilities.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

This has unfortunately been an awful experience in a supposed '5* hotel'. Whilst the hotel itself is located near the beach, unfortunately the atrocious service provided by the hotel staff marred my visit.

My first issue came when I requested a corkscrew so that I could try to relax on my room balcony. However, having asked the staff behind reception, she clearly was not trained and did not know how to handle the request. Eventually she wandered off to find another member of staff. To my absolute shock and disgust she came back and informed me I would have to pay €15! I queried whether this was actually correct and she was adamant it was so. Having asked to see the manager, again illustrating the lack of professionalism and basic training, she froze and said nothing. Eventually she asked if I could speak to the bar staff, rather than trying to provide a more customer orientated experience. This to me set the scene for what to expect

Secondly bath towels not provided by the room cleaners - no issue per se as mistakes happen. What wasn't acceptable was my the rude manner which staff spoke to my fiancée when politely asking for towel at reception. In the end no towels came despite calls to reception!!

Thirdly the room cleaners on my last day. Checkout was 12, however, the cleaners were constantly harassing us multiple times to leave so they could clean. I explained we had the room till 12 and still required the room, however, this made no difference as we were still bothered.

Fourthly the maintenance work/power tools in use without any notification. Waking up to the sound of drilling was not an expected experience.

Finally the cocktail bar fiasco. On one night the bartender had to deal with a broken shelf that caused many bottles of liquor to smash on the floor. Understandably he was occupied with cleaning the mess. However, his colleagues failed to assist him with the bar tending duties, and instead were conversing and laughing, meaning we were left waiting for a considerable time to be served.

Overall I found this to be a dismal hotel. The facilities itself were acceptable, but still not on par with other 5* hotels and resorts. Whilst some of the above may seem trivial to the owners of this hotel, the constant issues made it a frustrating stay.

The overall attitude of the hotel staff was abysmal and the underlying reason to this review. For my next visit I will be sure to avoid here and would advise those looking for an actual 5* experience (and not one that more resembled the service provided by a hostel) I would implore you to do so too!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
12  Thank dandasilva8

Dear Mr/Mrs. dandasilva8,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We regret to learn that you were not satisfied with certain aspects of our staff service and more importantly, that a warm and friendly environment was not transpired throughout your stay on more than one occasion.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory service you have received from some of our staff. We have discussed the issues you mentioned with the entire team and corrective action has been taken to prevent such occurrences from happening again and to ensure our usual top quality service is maintained at all times.

We sincerely hope to demonstrate the improvements that will be made by having the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I got married in this Hotel this week. Everything was amazing. The venue is the best I have seen for hosting weddings and the staff are so helpful especially Ann the Hotel events manager.

The Hotel itself has lovely rooms, a heated pool and huge pool beside this.. The food here is so tasty. Great facilities. Highly recommend this Hotel. I will stay here again my next visit to Portugal. Five stars.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ronandoherty19
CardosoJ, Diretor-Geral at VidaMar Resort Hotel Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Dear Mr. ronandoherty19,

Thank you so much for your preference for Vidamar Resort Hotel Algarve for such a special occasion and for your kind review.

We are proud to read your feedback and will certainly share it with our Events team and all the staff involved in your wedding.

May your wedding be filled with special memories you can treasure for ever.

Looking forward to welcome you back,

Reviewed 7 June 2018

We have just returned from a 3 night break as a group of 8 women on a hen do.

Although we we knew check in was 4pm, it was nearer to 5pm when our room (4 bed villa) was ready for us which made it a long day after arriving in the morning. Still, we could use the hotels facilities in the meantime and our luggage was stored for us.

Our villa was by far one of the biggest on the resort and had a beautiful enclosed garden and private pool, not heated, but refreshing on a warm day. The villa was huge and more than enough room and bathrooms to accommodate 8 girls. Nicely decorated and very spacious, light and airy. We were soon opening the exterior doors around the place which did lead to plenty of internal doors violently slamming shut so be aware of this if travelling with children as fingers will be lost if not careful. Really could of done with some door hooks or something to stop this.

The villa had a nice kitchen and again plenty of room and storage space. Our safety deposit box was faulty so we didn't use this.

There were some road works taking place within the resort complex that we were not advised of, and this was quite noisy during the day with drilling going on on the road leading to our villa but we just ignored it and turned the music up to try and reduce it a little.

The resort itself was very clean and seemed to be well maintained with beautiful grounds leading to a pristine beach. I did think the 5 euro charge for a sunbed was a bit steep but not sure if this is within the hotel’s control or not.

The main pool was huge, but unheated and pretty uncomfortable in the slightly chilly weather. There are a couple of jacuzzis around the grounds and some double loungers which were nice.

Although near the beach, we found the hotel a little far out from the strip and shops but could be reaches for 15-20 euros each way in a taxi which the hotel are happy to arrange, but probably more suitable to families or those wanting a quiet holiday.

The service around the snack bar was, although very friendly, somewhat slow at times so make it clear to staff if you are in a rush. It is cooked from fresh though so some allowance could be made for this but we waited at least 15-20 minutes for food after ordering. The food however was very nice with plenty of choice and reasonable in price.

The Italian restaurant also seemed a little slow and the language barrier was causing a few issues with our order, but again the food was very nice.

All in all we had a great holiday in a beautiful villa, the only reason I have given it a 4 is because of the minor things stated above but would definitely return.

Room Tip: go for a villa with a private pool. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank gina481

Dear Mrs. gina481,

Thank you for your preference for Vidamar Resort Hotel Algarve and for the detailed review of your stay, we offer you our gratitude for sharing it with fellow travellers.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for having praised our and facilities and food, we will certainly share your not only your positive feedback to all our staff but also the least positive remarks to the respective heads of department, to ensure the highest standards of service are maintained at all times.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

We decided to revisit the VidaMar (June 1st to the 6th) almost exactly 2 years since our last visit and there has been a clear change in focus of the type of clientele the resort wishes to encourage: previously it was couples and families, now it seems to be weddings and hen groups.

It can only be a short time until the hotels decides to embrace the dreaded all-inclusive fans.

Some positives: Our room was ready and and we found that the hotel had provided us with a bottle of wine and some macaroons to welcome us back.

The hotel room was very clean and the balcony with views of the ocean was looking very enticing.

The local beach is amazing and we spent a lot of time building sandcastles and walking to some of the sea food restaurants that line the beach.

Negatives:

The salt pools were all too cold to use for the 1st day and i don't believe that they bothered to heat the kids pool.

The pool bar only opened on our last day at the hotel!

The Ocean buffet selection was okay, but not great. I also must highlight the over attentive waiting staff who are constantly trying to remove your plates as soon as you put your fork down, it is really poor service and I noticed that it upset many guests.

The Mama Mia pizza restaurant was as good as ever and the staff on top form.

The children's club (strictly 4+ years old) has moved room and is not as good nor are the ladies in charge of the club (they looked very scary). the children's evening entertainment which we took our girls was very amateur and not worth it.

Biggest Issue: Every single evening there was a wedding reception taking place. The noise from the live bands (even with our balcony door closed) was horrendous, it got so bad on one night that I went down to reception to ask could they turn it down, the receptionist said she would ask security - nothing happened and the noise continued until 23:30 each evening.

The hotel used to be a 5* experience, now it is somewhere between 3* & 4*, what a massive shame and a clear example of what happens when a hotel decides to chase the quick buck and the standards slip to compensate for the lower service levels.

Room Tip: The block closest to the wedding reception building are a no-go area due to the noise levels.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Joseph S

Dear Mr. Joseph S,

Thank you for your preference for Vidamar Resort Hotel Algarve and for sharing a detailed account of your stay with us.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our location and the cleanliness of our resort.

In other hand, we are sorry to read that some aspects of your second stay with us did not please you as much as on your previous stay.

We would like to note that VidaMar did not change it's target clientele and that hen and stag do's are not allowed.VidaMar is a family oriented Resort at its core.

Unfortunately, the weather in the beginning of June was colder than average. Even though the heating system in our pool was fully functioning, it failed to heat the pool above 24ºc in time.

We do take guest feedback very seriously, we will certainly share your feedback regarding the poor service you've encountered with the relevant heads of department to ensure the highest standards of service are maintained at all times.

Warm regards,