3,413 results
All reviewsbaby clubmini clubzen poolpetit clubfirst clubgolf lessonscircus teammain languagefrench speakershard courtsinterconnecting roomssports activitiesall inclusive resortspecial thanksaqua gymrecommend this resorttable tennis
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Plus:
The food was delicious. Good cocktails too.
The views and landscape are attractive.
Our rooms were big.
Its renovated bathroom is beautiful
The zen pool for adults only is pleasant.
The staff/G.O. are nice.
The kids' club is well organized.
Sport activities are numerous
Awsome walks on the beach at low tide - preferably early in the day when not crowded.

Cons:
Too many people ...! Swimming pool is crowded from 11am to 6pm.
Restaurants are often noisy.
The rooms are very bare. Color choice is a bit strange (shades of red combined with shades of blue).
Some distance to walk from our room to the restaurants: the hotel is big. Some (nearly) unavoidable stairs too.
The sea (ocean) is cold (19°C in August) and is difficult to access unless high tide.
Swimming pool for toddlers is way too cold (significantly colder than the one for adults). Unfair for babies and parents.
Spa in urgent need of a renovation. The spa treatment was quite effective, but not that pleasant.
The outside area for gym activities is also in need of a renovation

All in all: this club med would be very enjoyable ... with much fewer guests - i.e., August is not the best month.

Room Tip: our room with direct access to the lawn was nice
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Val J
Club Med E, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Da Balaia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Val J,

Thank you very much for your review, and splitting the good and bad. This is indeed very helpful for us to understand what could be done better, so that you have a wonderful time on your next visit. We would be happy to discuss this further with you, please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.uk@clubmed.com.

We wish you a lovely day,

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

We had a disappointing start to our holiday where all the French guests were greeted with a warm welcome, guide to the resort and their keys. We’re English..... no guide, no key to our room. I had to find someone to help me. I felt like the disinvited guest at a wedding.

We settled into the beach, pool, restaurant and mini golf routine. Which was lovely although very busy compared to our previous visit a few years ago as the refurbishment has meant there are now 900 guests.... too many for the site.

Plus points: The gardens are well kept and the food was good.

Very surprised to find the door to restaurant from the main reception was closed after following signs down a main staircase. Cockroaches on the steps which made me feel queasy.

I had a very poor experience at the boutique as the bikini I bought was faulty. I asked for a replacement- their suggestion was for them to stitch the bikini or to send one to me in the UK. I asked for a refund. The manager needed to sign this off except he could never be located. So after 3 days of being fobbed off that’d I’d have a refund it was time for us to leave. I asked 6 times for the bill to be adjusted. I asked to see the manager. I asked for some paper to write a letter to the manager. Nothing. I found some note paper myself on a desk.

Then, 5 minutes before the bus was due to leave they decided they’d deduct it from my bill.

The bus arrived at the airport 40 minutes before the flight was due to leave. Luckily the EasyJet check in staff reopened the desk! Stress I didn’t want or need after paying premium price for a week holiday.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank ostrich719
Club Med E, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Da Balaia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear ostrich719,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience in our resort, and would like nothing more but to help you further. Please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.uk@clubmed.com, we would like nothing more but to put things right for you.

We appreciate your positive comments as well, and we are sure we will be able to improve from your constructive comments.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We just came back from a week at Da Balaia - 4 years after our last visit - and had a fantastic week.

To get a few of the negatives out of the way: yes, it is very French, but I see that as a good thing! If Club Med want a more international client base they do need to insist that The GOs speak better English though, and I would suggest also internationalising the crazy signs - a little bit with a well known track is good fun, but it gets far too French and far too hard core particularly in the nightclub, which is a shame. Yes, there are lots of children - it’s a real family resort, so partying is more restrained than some other clubs.

For me the 2 areas of improvement would be the environmental footprint, they do get through a lot of plastic cups and really need to find more environmentally friendly ways of doing just about everything. The 2nd thing is the journey - like 4 years ago we came with TAP scheduled flights, booked through Club Med, and like last time ended up getting a taxi from Lisbon. Never again! My advice would be to get a road transfer from Lisbon - it’s about 150 minutes and much more certain than TAPs ability to fly planes on time.

Now we have that out of the way! We had a fabulous holiday, a real holiday! My wife, daughter and I were able to do the things we like to do - for me that was getting back into tennis with group lessons, fun tournaments and a few additional private lessons. Alexis was fantastic - full of energy and really good tips, for once my game really did improve.

My daughter was well looked after, as usual, by the Mini Club. They took great care of her but also treat kids like real people - she is 8 and has developed in the week, learnt new things like going on a trapeze, done archery, tennis, a stage show and games - all in a safe environment. Francesco even taught her a few dance moves on the dance floor on Monday night - a great way to get her into the swing of things

Food was really good, general atmosphere was excellent - last time we were quite critical of the reception staff but this time they were brilliant!

We were a little worried about the climate in August- but whilst Europe, and Portugal in particular, were baking in record temperatures it was generally very pleasant - warm but ok to do activities and nice outside in the evenings. We only used the air on in our room one night.

Since the last time we here the hotel has been renovated, and is much smarter and more modern. The zen pool has been added so that there is a calm, adults only, area and the circus activities have been added - which I think is just an awesome facility. The shows were good fun all week, but the circus show was a real highlight - congratulations to all involved in that.

As ever, holidays are about people. We were all relaxed and happy for the week which really enables a great holiday. All the GOs were very helpful and friendly and we met some great people who will hopefully be long term friends.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank olimar

Dear olimar,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so happy to hear that you had, as you said, a fabulous holiday, and could relax all together. We are sure your comments will be extremely helpful, in regards of the resort, for the future guests to come. We hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We had a great stay and wanted to thank the team of GOs and in particular Quentin in the tennis club who has welcomed us with a big and charming smile and always provided great tennis classes.
Rooms were nice, and the club is quite renovated, the food is good and the beach nearby beautiful

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Ericjfpat,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are happy to hear that you had a great holiday, and loved our Portuguese resort.

We hope to see you soon again,

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Me and my son spent the best sport week in the Club Med Da Balaia.

The trapeze team is amazing! The trapeze camp is not only for kids it is for adults too. I attended the trapeze camp 5 times and 3 times I did the catch with the real professional team. Thank you guys for these emotions and experience. You are the best!

We attended also tennis lessons and our coach was really nice and helpful. All staff did very outstanding work and was polite and smiling.

With love,
Olga
Latvia

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank OlgaA_Riga

Dear olgaandre87,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am happy to hear that your son and yourself had a lovely holiday, and could participate to all the activities you wanted.

We hope to welcome you soon again in one of our resort, and wish you a lovely day,