“Hope we can go back one day...”

Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Richmond, VA
“Hope we can go back one day...”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband, my 3 year old son and I traveled to the Sheraton Algarve in early May 2012 and stayed for 5 nights. It was absolutely wonderful and was the highlight of our trip to Portugal. Apart from going to the drugstore, I don't think we ever left the resort!

Because my husband stays at Starwood properties for work, he was able to request an upgrade and we were given a lovely 2 story suite. It was nice and cool, with tile floors and white walls. A fairly comfortable bed and we had 1 1/2 bathrooms. We requested a crib for my son, which was a pack n' play, but if he was older, there was a pull out sofa he could have slept in.

Our 3 year old LOVED the kid's club and went each day for a few hours. They had all sorts of fun activities, including a huge pirate ship, a bouncy castle, ride on toys, crafts, trampolines, you name it. In hotter months they have a small wading pool for them. He would stay for lunch and we'd pick him up afterwards. The women that work there are extremely sweet and Charlie hugged them all goodbye on our last day. They took excellent care of him and having a break for my husband and I to get some time in together was awesome.

The beach has a really nice beach club where you can get lunch or ice cream. There are chairs and umbrellas on the beach and the turquoise waters were beautiful - if a bit too cold to swim. The sand is not powdery - some of it is quite course, depending on what part of the beach. It worked for building sand castles, though, which was what we needed it for.

There are several outdoor pools, which are not heated, so if you are there during the shoulder season, they may be uncomfortable for you. Since the weather was unseasonably cool when we were there, we made use of the indoor pool at the health club, which was heated and perfect for our son. They do require you to wear a swim cap in the indoor pool, though, so if you have one, bring it. The resort sells them for 4.50 euro.

We ate at all the resort restaurants that were open in May. Do not rely on the web site for this - check with the concierge. They told me they typically don't know which restaurants will be open until they gauge the number of guests the week before. This conflicts with the dates provided on their web site and I found that a tiny bit annoying.

We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast (it was included in our rate) and one night for dinner. There is a different type of food each night and we ate the seafood. It was delicious. The breakfasts were very nice and varied, though we missed pancakes, waffles or french toast as an option. The omelet bar was very good, but sometimes required a wait. They set out champagne if you want a mimosa with your breakfast!

We also did the 5 course tasting menu one night at the Jardim Gourmet restaurant adjacent to the buffet. We were the only people there and had a great time with our waiter, trying different wines. That was my favorite dinner.

One night we went to Piri Piri and had steaks - also delicious and perfectly cooked. And we ate some lunches and one dinner at the Grill. It was fine - nothing to write home about. Our son was able to eat free when we at there because of a promotion they were running.

The resort's tennis courts are very nice, though a bit pricey to rent when you factor in equipment. We played on 2 different days. They keep the courts in excellent condition. They have no shade, though, so bring sunscreen!

My husband and I both went to the spa for massages and the therapists were very good. I went back a couple of days later for a facial and it was also very nice. The spa is very tiny. Just a few treatment rooms and the reception area. Still, for such a small spa, I felt the treatments were high quality.

The concierge was kind enough to set us up with babysitters at night so my husband and I could go to dinner after my son was in bed. The two sitters they sent were both lovely - one from the golf shop and one from reception. Both were long-term resort employees. I felt very comfortable leaving my son with them. They would come by and say hi when they would see us on the resort. Very friendly.

I would love to go back when the weather is just a tad warmer and enjoy the resort again. I think if you have kids, this is the place to go so that everyone can do stuff they enjoy. All 3 of us had a great time and I'm still dreaming of those Algarve sunsets....

Room Tip: There are no true ocean front rooms since you have to go down an elevator and walk a lengthy pier to...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank badpoodle06
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Dear Guest,.

Thank you for the time taken to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to know that you have fully enjoyed our Resort and we do appreciate your kind words regarding our associates. Your comments are of a great value to us and will contribute to improve our overall services and guest’s enjoyment.

Guest Relations Executive
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We honeymooned here for 4 nights. Arriving by train from Lisbon, we hailed a taxi at Ferreiras station and it was about 15+ minutes to the hotel (15-18 euros with tip). The Sheraton hotel is within the bigger Pine Cliffs resort. The reception/lobby area for the Sheraton is very pretty with clean white marble and hand-painted tiles everywhere.
I used my SPG suite upgrade rewards and the hotel gave us a suite in the 2nd wing facing the gardens. As the hotel website states, the suite is bi-level with the living room & half bath in the first level and the full bathroom & bedroom in the top level. (If you do not like walking up and down stairs, then the suite is not for you.) We were surprised at how simply and somewhat plainly the suite is decorated. There's a lovely tiled headboard in the bedroom, but otherwise the suite is pedestrian. The full bathroom had a separate enclosure for the toilet & bidet, 2 sinks and a normal size bathtub with showerhead. We were disappointed that there was not a separate walk-in shower area. Good toiletries from France. There's plenty of space everywhere though. Our suite had two double beds together so it wasn't a true king size bed. We slept well on the beds. There's powerful air conditioning in the suite and it kept our room very cool. You basically want to be outside so we weren't bothered that the suite didn't enthrall us. WiFi connection speed was above average.
There are some very pretty areas in the whole resort. Of course, the most spectacular part is the Falesia beach. To get to the beach, you take an elevator (or 3 flights of stairs) down the cliff and then follow a long walkway. We enjoyed the walk, but older folks or very young children may struggle. We had a quick lunch at the cafe on the beach -- hamburgers -- and the prices were reasonable for a resort.
The daily buffet breakfast is exemplary. It's one of the best that we've had in Europe. Lots of selection. Food is fresh and delicious. There's a cook stationed outside in the patio who can make eggs to order. The hostess who seats you is an energetic and friendly woman. The fact that breakfast is included in the daily rate makes the value quite good.
Service throughout the hotel is very good, though it can be laid back. Sometimes it took a few minutes to talk to reception. There's not always a person at the main doors to greet you when you come and go. But the concierge staff are excellent. We received great advice from the young man at the concierge desk for multiple suggestions. They helped us rent a car for a few days because we were feeling bored just hanging around the resort.
We drove to Sagres which should be a must-see destination for anyone with a car. We visited a cute little village for lunch - Alte - about 45 minutes away. We also really enjoyed walking around Loule, especially its famous market. (Parking right in front of the hotel was very easy with many open spots, but I suspect it gets very crowded in high season.) To us, this part of the Algarve felt very low key. There are not really any cultural attractions to visit. We found old town Albufeira to be uninspiring & disappointing. There's isn't much historical & beautiful old architecture to admire.
A great place for lunch and dinner is the restaurant Pinhal which is right across the road from the entrance gates of the resort. We ate there twice and enjoyed it immensely. The prices are about half what you would pay within the resort. Lots of local ate there. At night after 8pm, it got really crowded and we couldn't even hail our waitress to get our check.
Also, there's a big supermarket a few doors down from Pinhal restaurant. You can stock up there instead of using the Pine Cliff's little market that has limited hours.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewYorker03
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your contribution on Tripadvisor.

Your comments are extremely valuable to us and they motivate us to continue to improve our services and to create lifetime memories.

We look forward to welcome you again at our Resort.

hillingdon
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I've just come back from spending 9 days at this hotel with my husband. We had both had stressful years at work and was looking forward to a place to completely relax. And that's just what we did. The minute you go through the gates of the resort everyone is polite, charming and goes out of their way to help.
I spent my time swimming in the indoor and outdoor pools, enjoying the jacuzzi, had a manicure at the spa, and simply enjoyed the wonderful peaceful surroundings by the sea. The breakfast buffet was full of lots of delicious food from a cooked breakfast, fruit, cereals, toast, cold meat, smoked salmon, little pastries etc. My husband tried the freshly made omelette by the omelette chef which he said was delicious!
Rooms are spacious with freshly made sheets each day, and lots of fluffy white towels.
Basically we both came away feel totally relaxed and feeling as though we had a fantastic break.
The Piri Piri restaurant served the BEST steak either of us had ever tasted. Expensive, but worth paying that little bit more. Quite a nice Chinese restaurant just outside the resort.
Booked Yellow Fish Transfers after good reviews on Trip Advisor. They were very good. The only problem we had was that we didn't have our own transport and had to either go on excursions or book a taxi to take us to places. Hoping to go again next year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suehHillingdon
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time taken to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to know that you have fully enjoyed our Hotel and Resort.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We just spent 4 nights at this spectacular hotel on the cliffs of Albufeira. I have to admit that I had low expectations coming from Cape Town where beauty is something we take a little for granted, but this place was "up there".
We were on an all expenses paid, work retreat with spouses so it was even more enjoyable, knowing that we were not paying!
The room we had was fabulous, despite not looking over the sea - loads of space, hangers (which I never find enough of, typically, in hotels) a fabulously comfortable and roomy bed, great finishes to all the rooms and indeed the architecture in general was so tasteful and well kept, as were the grounds.
We loved the easy access to the swimming pool, the system of acquiring your towels on the beach with towel cards (credit cards) and how everything was so well organised and thought through.
We swam in the sea every day - the water was really WARM for the Atlantic Ocean, far warmer than Cape Town waters so we were really impressed.
The lift to the beach was very impressive too and the first of its kind I have ever seen, but given the hotel is on the equivalent of about 5 storeys up, its a great feature for when you don't have the energy to walk up the many flights of stairs.
The food was very good at this hotel, and the buffets were great, despite my usual attitude to buffets! Service at every meal was of a very high standard. Freshly squeezed orange juice was abundantly available and delicious.
The golf course looked terrific though I never played, due to living on a golf course in Scotland and preferring the beach.
I would definitely go back here if I had that kind of budget myself, but perhaps not as I am not a resorts kind of person, preferring to sleep cheap and save my budget for meals out and shopping.
We went to the Loule market on saturday morning but it was pretty disappointing, full of the usual Chinese tat, fake designer bags and only one ceramic stand amongst the many stalls.

Room Tip: A beach view would be great as you can check out the surf early in the morning and decide whether or...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Juju2011_11
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time taken to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to know that you have fully enjoyed our Resort and we do appreciate your kind words regarding our facilities. Your comments are of a great value to us and will contribute to improve our overall services and guest’s enjoyment.

Cheshire, England
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Had 4 days here in March with lovely weather so was able to sunbathe round the pool. Only problem was being out of season the pool bar wasn't open. It would have been nice had a waiter come round to take drinks orders but no such luck at the pool we used. The hotel itself is very grand and the room was really nice with 2 double beds and very comfy mattresses and pillows, something that is usually alien to the Portuguese The grounds are lovely with views of the sea but as its set high on a cliff it's quite a walk to get to the beach when you have used the lift to get down the cliff. Just looking at it put me off although it did say it was a private beach. There was a lovely looking restaurant on the cliff top but it was closed. I would imagine in the summer if everything is open and in full swing this hotel would be a good choice even if you don't play golf. It's just opposite Ti Costa restaurant as well, one of the best in the village
Breakfast was very very good and the staff were excellent

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Curlylocks47
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Public Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your contribution on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcome you again at our Resort.

Guest Relations Executive
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
1.2 km away
1.7 km away
Falesia Hotel
Falesia Hotel
#4 of 163 in Albufeira

Been to Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK