All reviews pool area old town uphill walk up hill cleaned every day an update steep steps lick of paint the hotel is clean main town quiet at night hotel is situated quiet location fresh towels bit dated relaxing holiday stayed here for a week
Reviewed 10 June 2018

Just back from an excellent week at the Boa Vista. After reading some of the reviews from previous year was a little aprehensive as not all reviews were good, but like the location so went ahead and booked after the management said refurbishments were being done.
Well what a lovely small hotel. With excellent accommodation, food and staff.
We had a room with sea view which was lovely.
It may be a problem for people with walking difficulties, but even we in our seventies managed the hills and steps in the area the hotel is located in.
We would highly recommend this hotel as was made to feel very welcome, and hope to return again sometime. Many thanks to them

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank expubs
BelverBoavistaHotel, Gestor de Relações com o Cliente at Belver Boa Vista Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for trusting us and we are very grateful for the recommendation to our Hotel.
We were very pleased that you enjoyed our location, accommodations and service.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and we look forward to your next visit.
#BelverHotels #BelverLiving
Bianca Stella de Loureiro Ferreira
Guest Relations

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

My friend and I wanted a cheap week away in the sun and booked this hotel via Jet2. For 7 nights b&b, we paid £400 each.

We arrived at the hotel at 11am on Saturday 19 May. We were told that our room wasn’t ready and wouldn’t be until approximately 2pm but we were welcome to leave our luggage at reception which was fine. We were keen to watch the Royal Wedding so were going to go and find a bar that was showing it anyways.

When we came back to the hotel at approximately 3pm, we were shown to our room. The hotel reception is on the 4th floor, with the pool and restaurant area on the 1st floor. Our room was 006, 3 sets of steep stairs below the pool area (there’s no lift for these stairs). We are both fairly fit so this didn’t bother us but I imagine it would do if you were unfit or disabled.

We got to our room to find it was infested with flies. Not just one or two flies, but around 100 flies. Covering the balcony doors, the ceiling, the mirrors and beds. The room also had a really foul smell. I immediately called reception and explained the situation and that we wouldn’t be staying in that room. Within about 40 seconds a hotel cleaner appeared armed with fly spray. It was as though they knew that the flies were a problem in that room but they were testing their luck to see if we would just ignore it.

We were left to carry two 22kg suitcases back up the 3 flights of steps with no help from hotel staff. I honestly don’t think anyone old, unfit or with any form of back/knee complaint could manage this hike.

We got to reception and I again explained that we wouldn’t be staying in room 006 due to the infestation of flies and the fact that the room was now being fumigated. I asked the woman if we could be moved to a room on a higher floor if possible.

The woman on reception who I believe is the manager was really rude and sharp with me. She said “those on higher floor are sea view rooms. You haven’t paid for that.” We were unaware of a difference in views of rooms as we weren’t offered a choice when we booked. I asked what the difference would be in price and was willing to pay it to which she cut me off and said “there’s none available” and an awkward silence ensued.

At that point I was quite annoyed at how I had been spoken to so I politely told her that I couldn’t care less about the view or what view I’d paid for but the fact of the matter was, neither myself or my friend would be staying in a room infested with flies for £800 for the week so either an alternative room would be available or I’d be contacting my holiday insurance and Jet 2. Another room was “found” for us and a really nice smiley young man (I’ve forgotten his name) helped us with our luggage to the lift and down to the second floor. This young man ensured we were happy with the room before he left us and was really lovely, apologetic and polite. He’s a credit to the hotel and the polar opposite of the hotel manager who was absolutely awful.

On to the hotel and it’s amenities.... our room was clean. I can’t say much more about it. The furniture is all mismatched and tired and some of it a bit useless. We had an old writing bureau in ours... I’ve noticed that the hotel reply to reviews on here saying that this is the style of the hotel - “vintage” I think they say. If that’s the case, vintage in Portugal and vintage in England must be very different and the reception area of the hotel isn’t representative of this “vintage” look, and neither is the restaurant.

The rooms are in desperate need of updating. The beds are hard, the bed linen stained and it just isn’t a nice environment to sleep in. It really does need refurbed. It’s actually a shame it’s so fatty and mismatched inside because with some money thrown at it, it could be a nice hotel.

The bathroom had black mould around the bath, sink and in between the tiles. The bathroom door hadn’t seen paint in years and was mouldy at the bottom, the seals under the glass panel in the shower had failed which meant a huge pool of water formed in the doorway each time the shower was used.

Our room was cleaned every day and towels replaced. However, the towels are threadbare and stained.

There was no coffee/tea facilities in the room and I was quite surprised that we weren’t given at least 1 complimentary bottle of water for the week, despite the hotel knowing we are unable to drink the tap water. I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of countries and this is the first time I haven’t had a complimentary bottle of water/tea/coffee. Another unusual situation is the fridge. There’s a charge to use the fridge. So not only are you not provided with a complimentary bottle of water, you have to pay the hotel to keep the water you buy cool... very odd.

The pool area is fine although needing a lick of paint. The white walls are dirty with paint flaking. It needs brightened up. The toilets at the pool are very good, these must be new as they are immaculate and modern and totally different to the rest of the hotel. We didn’t get in the pool so I can’t comment on that but it looked clean enough. The sun-loungers are old and uncomfortable and need updated but there is enough to go round, if you’re up early. There’s no music played around the pool area, not even low level background music which again I find quite odd. I don’t expect an Ibiza pool party but the atmosphere around the pool is more like a library than a hotel.

Breakfast. Very basic. It was a buffet style with all the usual you’d expect, none cooked particularly well. I stuck to toast with cheese and the occasional pastry. The coffee was nice though. Heard a lot of complaints about the evening meals being dreadful but we never ate at the hotel so can’t comment.

We popped to the supermarket down the road for drinks etc for round the pool as the bar had limited choice and was open at weird times. The bar staff realised when had bought our own drinks and tried to charge us for cups of ice. We just decided to drink our drinks with no ice.

Another point to mention is access to the hotel. You can either slog it up a considerably steep hill to reception or you can use the gate on the main road which takes you up 3 or 4 flights of stairs and brings you out at the poolside. The only problem is, the gate on the main road closes at 10pm so you find yourself having to walk round and up the steep hill. Again, this is fine if you’re fit but if you’re not, it will be a bit of a pain. I can’t see why they haven’t got a key card system on there yet - it’s 2018.

Overall, you get what you pay for. It’s a cheap hotel, bit run down, needs some attention. The location is fine, 10 minutes walk from either the marina or old town. All of the staff bar the women on reception were lovely. She desperately needs to learn some customer care/service skills.

The most annoying thing about the hotel is its portrayal of being 4 star. It really isn’t, in any capacity.

We didn’t want to spend a fortune on a last minute week away but I’m hindsight I’d probably spend the extra 150-200 pp for a better hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
7  Thank Sjamor2704

Dear Customer,
Our apologies for not being able to respond immediately:
We apologize about the mosquitoes but is is important to explain why they were in the room; At the beginning of the summer, in Algarve, there is always an excessive appearance of mosquitoes - as it is the change from cold to heat.
Thankfully, this inconvenience was soon solved and we appreciate the compliments to our colleague from the Reception - Diogo.
It is important to mention that our Front Office Manager was only doing its job, which is to inform prices and availability according to Customers' reservations.
Anyway, we apologize for not having met your expectations - as we would like - and we thank you for your visit and for your comments.
Best Regards.
Bianca Stella de Loureiro Ferreira
Guest Relations

Reviewed 30 May 2018

Room Tip: View of the Atlantic Ocean
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
BelverBoavistaHotel, Gerente de relações públicas at Belver Boa Vista Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

The hotel is very dated. The furniture in the bedroom was dated (they even had a bureau in it and I haven’t seen one of those for about 40 years) The beds were pretty hard. The shower was excellent ( like a power shower) but no hairdryer in room. I was told I could ask reception for one but took my own. There was no tea or coffee making facilities in room. The restaurant did not open until 7.30 so couldn’t get a hot drink. There is not enough staff and they are not very organised. They were running out of things all week and not replenishing them. You were lucky if you found somebody to serve you a drink in the daytime. We were half board and the breakfast was good although the same everyday. The evening meal was a lot to be desired, I am not a fussy eater and will try anything but these meals were atrocious, but they were well presented. The Staff were really nice and friendly. Especially Manuel in the bar. The view from are sea view room was amazing. If leaving the hotel by the swimming pool there are 56 steps to walk down and then a lot of hilly roads before you hit the old town square. It’s a nice walk and the square is great for music and bars and the taxis are in Abundance to take you back up to the hotel which were less than €5. We never had to wait for one. All in all it was a nice holiday but the evening meal let you down and the running out of drinks ( like tins of coke, Rose wine and Morgan’s Spiced rum to name but a few).Dont think I would stay there again unless there is a great improvement.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank elainenicoll123

Dear Client,
First of all, our thanks for your stay.
We regret that this was not to your liking but it is important to mention that our Hotel has a more classic and vintage style (exists since 1962)
On the beds being hard ... it is important to inform that since last year we have replaced the mattresses, the fact is that for some customers are still hard for others very soft.
We do not have tea or coffee facilities in the room for security reasons.
We take note of your comment about not having enough staff and not having much organization for the Breakfast. It was an unforeseen event that we had during that week and it was quickly resolved - we already have enough staff members to attend our customers and we have no shortage of stock. About Dinner we appreciate the comments and although it did not meet your expectation, we are glad for the praise on the presentation.
We would like to be able to receive it again next season so that you can see all the renovations and improvements that we are constantly making.
Thank you.

#BelverHotels #BelverLiving

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

We Booked with booking.com originally and I stated when booking I have a bone disease and am unable to walk far and need to be near a lift. I then cancelled the booking by mistake and 're booked and paid via TripAdvisor also filling out the special requirements box i phoned the hotel direct to avoid any confusion.
We arrived on Tuesday 22nd May 2018 at 11.45pm ish.
Our room was 006 there was about 30/40 cobbled stone steps! And the last room in the corridor! It was a twin room!! Which I booked a double! The air conditioning was absolutely shocking and the beds are like MDF!
My fiance called reception to explain and they advised there's been a mistake and they are very sorry we will move you on Thursday 24th May!
We have been moved to a better room near a lift and where I can manage easier.
I was thankful for this.
Our room is still not great! It's defo not a 4* I would say maybe a 2* max! I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I'm not usually fussy but the whole place needs a much needed update.
I spoke to a guy at reception when we moved rooms he was lovely (and so was Hugo)I asked if we could extend our room on Sunday 27th May as we are not flying until 7pm, I was told it would cost me 50 euros!!!!I asked if we could have this as a good will gesture as I have been stuck in our room because I physically couldn't walk up and down the stairs. he got the manager who was a lady.
She told me that it was basically My fault that there has been confusion because I cancelled my 1st booking!
She told me that they sale rooms a d if I want to extend the room the I have to pay the extra and that they have changed our room and that's that!
She was very rude and abrupt, you would think as the hotel manager that she would want to rectify this issue and help us and give us this for free as we have been here 2 nights already and wasted time because they couldn't follow plain instructions!
The reason for booking this hotel was because it had a lift! And was disabled friendly.
We have only booked for 5 nights and 2 of that we have been stuck with very limited places to go in a boiling hot room.
The reason for this holiday was to have a nice relaxing break after being in intensive care in hospital for 3 weeks almost losing my life due to respiratory problems! And it's only 12 months until our wedding we went for a short break!
After the reception manager basically didn't care about our situation... I was spoken down to and it made me feel very small! I then returned to our new room and cried.
I work in a customer care background and I myself am a manager and i know that this is awful service and they could of just extended our room a few hours for free or at least offered a discount as good will!
But instead I got spoken down to.
I am very upset by this and I feel if a manager can do this then she will teach other staff bad habits and lack of customer care too.
I must say that the 2 young guys were lovely and the cleaners are lovely.
Such a shame!
I would highly recommend that you do not book this hotel
We will not be coming back!
Carrianne Gibbs & Alex Manning