All reviews very comfortable room a great nights sleep floor room very pleasant stay hotel breakfast two single beds private parking public car park nice bar would stay here again buffet style walking distance two nights one night stay air conditioning central location small room
Reviewed 8 May 2018

At check-in. Receptionist was far from friendly and reluctant to serve. She did not give any information about parking my car during our stay when I asked her about parking, we ended up parking in a parking lot next to the hotel. She did not provide any information about WiFi and it’s password. I had to ask questions to which she reluctantly answered. She also answered the phone while answering my question and talked for a long time. She could not be bothered to provide a friendly welcoming customer service.

Family room not suitable for baby sleeping with parents. Room is too small to walk around. The view was horrendous of the back part of the building.

The manager complained that our phone alarm was ringing throughout the night. My husband asked him the following question; “Are you sure the sound was coming from our room? Could it have been another room?”
Manager replied, “the receptionist called your room, there was no answer. He also came to your room in the night and saw you all sleeping.”
My husband showed that his phone alarm was not set during the night and that his phone did not ring.
The manager said “the receptionist came into your room and he saw you all sleeping. He saw your phone alarm ringing in your room”. The manager could not say what time the receptionist came into our room.

I was shocked and alarmed at what I had heard. I was very upset that someone had entered our room while we were sleeping and saw us. I was breastfeeding my baby in my sleep, and the hotel staff have seen this! The staff at the hotel violated our privacy and entered our room without our consent.

I called the booking company and complained about the hotel. I found out through Expedia, the manager had lied to the booking company about what he told me and my husband. He denied any staff entering our room while we were sleeping. Soon after, the manager was “not available and was not at the hotel, he would be back the following day” and could not talk to the booking company about the refund for the upcoming nights as we refused to stay there. I could not stay in a hotel who violated our privacy and where the hotel is being managed by a person like that.

My husband went back to the hotel to check out and get our belongings. To his surprise, he saw the manager at the reception. I called the booking company again to inform them that the manager was available. But Expedia got back to me saying “manager is not available”.

The hotel are avoiding the booking company to confront their misconduct. The manager clearly knows he is in the fault and is avoiding this. He has lied and is trying his level best to avoid giving us a refund for the nights we did not stay.

They have denied giving us a refund and an apology!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank AKALeo
Hotel-cmanager, General Manager at Hotel Mercure Oostende, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations.

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and clarify the concerns you have mentioned in this review as most of the points you have mentioned are not 100% correct on what happened during your stay.

We have already expressed our apologies during your stay. In spite of trying to ensure that your stay with us was comfortable, we understand that you were not satisfied with our service.

I am sorry that refund is not possible as we have already explained the reason.

I also understand that you wanted a room with a sea view or a city view. Our rooms don't have this kind of view because we are too far from the beach.
All the data available only have the same information.
At any cost, we do not publish misleading information.

Our team is responsible, polite and dedicated. We always take pride in our service. Under no circumstances, they ignore or behave rudely with any of our guests.
We always do our best to give the perfect welcoming to all our guests.

It's possible that during the check-in, the team has to answer a phone call from other guests. They answer it within 5 rings and we always help our guest ASAP.

I had confirmed with our manager that you were uncooperative at the desk. However, our team did not take this into account and continued to assist you.

During the night at 2 AM, our night receptionist received a complaint from 2 rooms on the same floor regarding the phone alarm from your room.
The receptionist had called the room but there was no answer. Hence, he was forced to go to the room and he knocked on the door several times.

As an emergency protocol, when there is no answer or reaction from somebody in the room, we can enter the room to check if someone is ill or if there is a security issue. When our receptionist entered the room and the alarm was switched off. Hence, he returned to the desk.
I assure you that in all these years of our service none of our team members had violated any rules or privacy of any of our guests unless there is an emergency.

We always receive comments and personally addressed emails thanking us for professionalism and help. My team and I do not even hesitate to assist our guest even in the middle of the night.

Our manager, the receptionist (night/day) and our entire team always fulfill their duty and are available during the stay to answer your queries and assist you. I was not present at the hotel at that moment, so it's normal that the receptionist had informed the same to Expedia.

We do hope we have clarified your concerns.

Best regards,
Kristoffel Verdonckt, General Manager

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Our golfing group stayed here for two nights. We had selected it for it's good location and reasonable price. Our expectations were met but we found some of the staff to be very tired and a bit grumpy. It has a very small footprint and wouldn't suit those who feel somewhat claustrophobic. The breakfast was excellent for a hotel of this rating. Overall it was clean and functional but a little lacking in character if that is what you want.

Room Tip: I doubt whether any rooms have a good view given the town centre location
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrg677
Hotel-cmanager, General Manager at Hotel Mercure Oostende, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review.

We are delighted to know that our hotel met your expectations.

Thanks for appreciating its emplacement, value for money, cleanliness and tasty breakfast buffet.

We take note of your remark about the staff.

Our apologies for any inconvenience.

The entire team strives to provide personal attention and good quality service to our guest. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming again.

Best regards,
Kristoffel Verdonckt, General Manager

Reviewed 30 April 2018

As an Accor Plus member who has stayed at many many Mercure hotels worldwide I booked Mercure Ostend with the high expectation of the Accor Mercure standard that I have come to expect. Unfortunately I was so very disappointed.

Staff at check in were ambivalent and no recognition of Accor Plus membership and not really at all inviting. Check in was prompt but there was no information given regarding breakfast nor the restaurant as a whole or indeed of the Ostend area.

There was no information package located in the room and on inquiring with reception regarding the restaurant for an evening meal we were advised that we would need to advise by 5.30pm if we were to be wanting to eat at the restaurant that evening.

But overall the most disappointing experience of our stay was the embarrassment of having housekeeping staff enter our room UNANNOUNCED on three out of the four night/day stay. No knock, no announcement, and they entered using the master key while my husband and I were in bed asleep on the first occasion, and more embarrassing in a state of undress on the second occasion, thankfully the third time we were departing and up and dressed but by this stage, but I was very annoyed that it had happened again and again after the initial time.

To say we were mortified was an understatement.

I spoke to housekeeping staff regarding announcing and knocking when entering rooms and I was very disappointed in the response. I broached the subject with reception staff and questioned how housekeeping staff should enter a room and when I explained the experience I had had there was no real acknowledgement of the issue no apology.

Ostend is a quaint town with a vibrant outdoor cafe scene that I would love to return to again. The position is great and loads of eateries close by.

I Just would not recommend a stay at Mercure Ostend unfortunately.

I also personally emailed Accor directly with my concerns but at now over two weeks with no response, I feel that this forum may be my only option for acknowledgement.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Hotel-cmanager, General Manager at Hotel Mercure Oostende, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Leethomo,

We are grateful to you for taking the time to send us your review.

We truly value all feedback and I sincerely apologise that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent experience.

Firstly I would like to say that I have not yet received your email but when I do I will be replying to you personally.

However I would like to say I have taken good note of all your comments.

Our team members are very aware that a high level of personal service is very important to us, I am sorry you didn't receive the quality service we are proud of, I will be revising this with our team.

I will be taking into consideration your suggestion about information to be provided in our rooms.

As to the incidents with the housekeeping department, we do advise our guests to always put out the 'do not disturb' sign to avoid being disturbed.

However I have investigated the matter and can confirm that our housekeeping team never enter a room without knocking, I can only hope that this was a misunderstanding and will not happen again.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you for a more pleasant stay in the future.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel in the centre of Oostende, and friendly/welcoming/professional team.
Nice breakfast but a bit expensive.
Slightly too small rooms (for the one we have been in).
10-15 min maximum walking from everything interesting in the center.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Hotel-cmanager, General Manager at Hotel Mercure Oostende, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Dear Simon,

Thanks for publishing this comment about your stay at Mercure Oostende hotel.

We are glad you valued our convenient location in the city center. Thanks for appreciating our breakfast buffet made of a large selection of hot and cold dishes.

We are sorry its competitive price didn't fully satisfy you. Feel free to share your concern with us on spot next time. We remind also that we have different categories and sizes of room. Don't hesitate to share your preference for a large room on your next reservation. We will be happy to please you.

Thanks again for your compliments to our staff.

We hope to welcome you again. Best regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2018

Second time in this hotel. Small room very clean but need bed replacement. Reasonable buffet breakfast. Need to request dinner before 5 pm for dining after 6:30 pm, more than sufficient for light dinner.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Hotel-cmanager, General Manager at Hotel Mercure Oostende, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Dear Jean,

Thank you for taking time to share a positive review.

We are glad to know that you had a wonderful stay at Hotel Mercure Oostende.

It is such a pleasure to welcome our returning guest.

As you have mentioned, we are indeed located in one of the best places in the city.
We are happy that you enjoyed the location.

Thank you for complimenting the room, the breakfast, and the food. It is nice to know that you enjoyed the breakfast and found it value money.

We have taken note of your comment regarding the bed quality. We have passed your suggestion to the relevant department and hope to bring the improvements in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

All the best.