“Excellent location, but pricing and service not what we expected”

Hotel De Tuilerieen
Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Let me first say that I believe our experience to have been the exception rather than the rule, but unfortunately De Tuilerieen did not live up to our expectations. We made the first error by booking our room through bookings.com, which to our surprise did not include breakfast or parking (remember to read the small print), which at €30 each for breakfast to room and €25 per day parking can add on quite a bit to the bill. When you're already paying €320 for a room, you would expect that this would be included. Error on our part. However, when we arrived at 14:30, we were told it was not possible to check in until 15:00 (check in time is 15:00), but almost every other hotel I have been to are flexible on early check ins. Not so on this occasion. Room itself was beautiful inside, but had ground floor view of car park and was quite noisy with guests on ground stairway coming in/out, again not ideal when you're forking out a significant amount. Staff initially appeared helpful, telling us they could book a restaurant when we arrived, however that evening we were told the good restaurants would likely be booked out as it was a busy evening. Lastly, the internet availability is very poor (no wifi in rooms, although there is internet connection via tv, it is very slow and unreliable and we could not connect laptop to cable). Also, be careful of the front stairs on the entrance when it is rainy, as the marble is very slippy (my girlfriend managed to have a nasty fall on her way out). On the plus side, there is a lovely (but small) pool, the rooms are great and the location is excellent (only 5 min walk from the Grote Markt). All in all, a disappointing stay, and really felt it did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 40Foot
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had a two night stay at the hotel and had a great stay for the price that we payed. The hotel is in a great location in Bruge making access to the key attractions easy. The hotel is a true gem with great service. Are room did have black marks on the wall but apart from that was perfect. We look forward to using SLH hotels in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel is drop dead gorgeous in a beautiful piece of European heritage. The location is as billed,very convenient and very pretty.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Good to be aware that the luxury room - which is the entry level room - can be a tight little spot in the attic which will do nothing for the soul. Not worth it for the stay. Pay up for a considerable premium to stay in one of the Rooms in the website or stay in another hotel where you can get the space that is nice for a few days and go to this hotel for a meal or drink in their lovely bar.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CalmTraveller75
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Excellent hotel - ideally situated next to the canal and 2 mins away from the town square. Our room was spacious with a huge bathroom and a very comfy bed! Staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming. Perfect for a short break to this breathtaking city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Our one night stay in De Tuilerieen would have been close to perfect if there hadn´t been one incident in the end with the manager, who is definetly not doing any good to the reputation of this luxury hotel. First as SLH members, we got an upgrade of room to a suite, that was just amazing - beautifully decorated, with big terrace, huge bathroom etc. We were given good advice on the city and told that the breakfast was included. As I didn´t remember reading about the complimentary breakfast on the reservation sheet I asked for confirmation and got the answer, that yes, as a SLH member, our breakfast is free of charge. Usually it´s 25 euros per person, but it really is a wonderful breakfast with fresh berries, chocolate fountain fondue etc. Everything went smoothly and we were very happy with everything until during the checkout we were asked to pay for the breakfasts. I told the staff that I had double checked with the receptionist that checked us in, but the staff would just tell me that then the girl had made a mistake and I should pay. It is not a matter of money but of principle, that if I´m told by the luxury hotel staff member, that the breakfast is complimentary and that even twice, then I think I can trust this. I asked for the manager, who came out from the back office and said also, that maybe there has been a mistake then and I should pay for the breakfast. He asked me the name of the receptionist, but I actually don´t try to remember the names of the whole staff of a hotel where I stay for one night. Then he said he tries to call her but came back and said she didn´t pick up the phone. So, in other words, he just assumed I was lying and didn´t take responsibility of his hotel staff mistake. That was unbelievable from an upclass hotel like De Tuilerieen. In the end we split the cost, but it left me leaving with a bad feeling. Just for the record, I would have written a review also without this incident, as the hotel itself really is a gem in the historical heart of the beautiful Brugge!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family