“Very Underwhelming”
Review of Hotel Montanus

Hotel Montanus
Ranked #59 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We have just had three nights at this hotel and I don't think I would say it's 4 star, or at least I wouldn't consider it 4 star for disabled customers.

Firstly when we arrived I had to leave my partner outside (in the pouring rain) as there isn't an accessible entrance at the front of the hotel. I then rang the bell multiple times and waited in reception for a considerable time until someone saw me and went to get the receptionist. I explained that my partner was outside in the rain, she didn't seem to care and went about checking us in. She then came out and walked us over to where our room was through a different entrance. If it were not raining this would have been fine, what would have been better was once I said he was outside in the rain, if she had gone out and shown him the way in so he could be in the warm and dry while we checked in. (He was so wet and cold after having to wait outside he had to change and get into bed to warm up)

The room we were shown to was really nice and looked out on the garden and main house, it was a bit basic but had everything we needed.
A quick FYI for any wheelchair users who might think about staying here about the wheelchair accessible room.
The 'double' bed is twin beds pushed together but not attached so they will move apart, they are at a pretty good height for transferring though.
The bathroom is a really good size with a big wet room shower, however (and this isn't a minus for everyone but was for us) the shower seat is very high so a little precarious if you have limited or reduced trunk control, and the toilet is also very high off the ground. My partner had to use his chair to rest his feet in order to feel stable. (As an able bodied person I felt wobbly on this loo it was so high!)

Another minus for the room was the smell! There seems to be some kind of issue with the plumbing as after you use the shower or taps, there is an awful sewage smell which seems to linger in the air for a long time! It's so bad you don't want to breathe in the bathroom and it does spread into the whole room! We had to open the door and air out the room a few times, which when its 3 degrees outside isn't ideal!

The bed linen is pretty scratchy and the pillows could have been better but that could very easily come down to personal preference.

We had one evening meal at the hotel and two breakfasts. I will do a separate review on the restaurant but I will say the food was excellent but the service left a LOT to be desired. We were left on a table with empty plates and glasses for a good 30mins, we were not offered more to drink or dessert and seemed to be ignored by the staff while trying to get their attention. Once we finally asked for the bill it took another almost 10mins to be given the slip to paper to write our room number on.
Both breakfasts were really nice and the staff were lovely.

We had no issues checking out and paying, and the receptionist booked a cab to take us to the station which arrived on time and was very easy.

My overall thoughts on this hotel are that it's nice enough, but there were too many issues with the room and the service for me to say I would come back again. Where there were nice things there were pretty terrible things too. We were very underwhelmed with the hotel and would be hard pressed to call it a 4 star establishment.

Room Tip: Room 7 is the wheelchair accessible room
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate T

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Stayed here last week for 2 nights. Part of a deal for a city break so although we were not able to book directly got an excellent deal. Hotel about 10 mins walk from railway station where there are good rail links to Brussels to catch Eurostar to London. Hotel located in a quiet street so not disturbed by road noise. About 15 mins casual walk to Markt in centre of Bruges. Twin room on first floor. Comfortable, although a few things were obviously missed by cleaner...pair of tights found on floor in corner of bedroom, and debris left on floor in bathroom. other than these minor things everything else good. No coffee making facilities in room but this is freely available in the lounge between 11and 6pm. Bed linen very comfortable, although looks very creased. Interesting to see that notices were posted in the bedroom about this. Bathroom decent size and adequate although some of the towels were very ragged at ends and really should be replaced. Very surprised to see that the television had been replaced during the day with a larger flat screen model. seems as if all bedrooms were having this upgraded facility. Lounge areas on ground floor very comfortable and spacious. Modern dining facilities complement the older part of the building. Excellent breakfast with lots of choice, including freshly prepared omelettes, pancakes, fried eggs, all served at table. Lovely breads, croissants and bagels. Even a chocolate fountain with marshmallows. Staff all very pleasant and helpful. Great stay in a very comfortable little hotel which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2017

Stayed here this week with my sister for short city break. Easy to get to from Bruges station. Short walk into town centre.Staff were pleasant and very accomodating.
room basic but clean, warm and comfortable. Bathroom adequate. Bit difficult to climb into bath for shower. Good job we are agile. Beds were comfortable. Linen never bothered me at all. Looks crumpled but was linen flax apparently.
Breakfast was excellent. Not many small hotels will offer fried, scrambled eggs or omelettes.Also pancakes and even marshmallows and chocolate fountain!
Pleanty of choice at breakfast and different breads available.
Endless tea or coffee there. Lovely open fire in middle of dining room.
Facitity in Coffee Corner between 11am to 6pm to help yourself to coffee, tea and biscuits. Handy to come in if raining.
Overall very good stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel was fantastic. It was in a great location, 2 minute walking distance from a secure car park and 10 minute walk from the town centre. We had a garden view room and it was lovely. The only issue we had was the mattress was a bit worn and me and my husband constantly rolled into one another but where still able to sleep.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We stayed in one of the garden rooms which was ok except for going to breakfast in the rain. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were very helpful. The hotel is very convenient for the centre of Bruges. However a major problem was the bed, the mattress was terrible, one fell into the centre of the bed and the bed linen was awful, so scratchy and rough. They had a note about their "special" linen. The undersheet was some sort of stretchy synthetic material. This let the place down completely. I was disappointed and glad to move to Bruges Park Hotel for our final two nights.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple