Rail City - CLOSED
Review Highlights
I rate it between 3 and 4

I give it 4 stars just because it is an unusual cafe which hosts a mini display of a city with... read more

Reviewed 5 May 2014
ColleenCo
pescara
If you like trains and a beer

Then this is the place to visit, although not the easiest place to find. A large detailed layout... read more

Reviewed 2 May 2014
SurreyLady439
London, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had great difficulty finding this cafe. It is opposite the Church of our lady, Mariastraat, through the archway into the Picasso exhibition but carry straight on into a covered shopping area, the cafe is on the left. On entering you are in a small bar/cafe but on the right is a fantastic 00 guage model railway which the cafe owner fires up for you, it includes, realistic engine noise, lighting, and several levels of layout track. By the way the coffee is good too. The cafe owner explained it had taken hom 3 years to make and he still isn't finished. Well worth a visit and its free!

2  Thank Barry C
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Popped here for a drink as my boyfriend is a fan of trains. We were blown away by the intricacy that has been used to create such a fantastic model railway. The drinks were very reasonably priced and a wide choice. Was lovely to see a range of ages enjoy a group of people's passion in creating a model railway. A must see!!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

A great business idea - a 15m HO model railway with elevated bench seating in parallel where you can enjoy a beer or two. It's nearly complete - just a bit of work still to do at the one end. And the beer is very reasonably priced.

1  Thank FolkestoneClaret
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I've visited this place twice now and planning a return visit in May this year. We found it by accident three years ago and loved it. It's a 'work in progress' railway layout and the guy who owns it appears to be funding it from his cafeteria or with a charge for those not eating or drinking something. We have a beer (or a coffee) and a bite to eat and we ask if we can see the railway and we are waved through without charge. We find the owner approachable and friendly and we've never had a problem with the refreshments offered. No it's not a massive, completely finished railway, it's obviously a long term labour of love for the owner. At 65 years of age I still have my Hornby Dublo model railway in store, I even have my first clockwork toy train set in its box which is 60 years old. I got that for Christmas 1953 and fell on a tin signal and needed 4 stitches in my knee and the scar is still there !!! I'd love a layout like this but cash and space don't permit it so I really enjoy spending an hour or so here.

1  Thank Sundaydiner
Reviewed 26 December 2013

A magical experience, found by chance & revisited whilst in Brugge.
As adults that have never really been interested in model railways we were still fascinated & so if you have an interest then it's a must.
We had beers on our first visit & hot drinks on our second all good & served quickly.

2  Thank SarahandMichael1993