All reviews falmouth bay family run hotel quiet location changed daily coastal path trebah gardens relaxing holiday both breakfast and dinner hotel is situated sea view maenporth beach superb hotel short drive high standard local produce return visit other guests
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We stayed here as part of a coastal holiday tour and all the other hotels up to this point had been a little bit different or slightly higher end. This was back down to earth with a bump. This is not said to be disparaging but this is a guest house and I find it difficult to reconcile the reviews on tripadvisor with my stay here. Most guests appeared to be of retirement age. We stayed in the 'superior' and it is just a wall papered bedroom, small double bed, flat pack furniture, cheap tea and coffee etc. etc. although the bathroom at least was nearly up to date. the remainder of the property was like a retirement home. In the evening I thought some sort of disruption was taking off in the building and realised after ten minutes of banging it was because we were next to the staircase and fire doors. We had to work this out for ourselves because reception didn't answer the 'phone once. Then as the evening wore on it became obvious the entire room was built of stud walls. Adjacent room conversations and footfall from the top floor was not just audible but became irritating. Breakfast menu was the most churlish of the holiday with extra charges in bold for standard fare such as salmon and a very limited self service selection. I have no doubt that the heartfelt five star reviews are genuine but this guest house is redolent of everything that is a generation out of date about the tourist industry in this country. I stay in Premier Inns for business travel regularly and I am sorry to reflect that apart from the the sea being visible in the distance and the rural setting a budget business motel chain is better appointed than this place and of course half the price.

Room Tip: avoid the staircase and probably all upper floors if you want quiet
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank old_norfolkian
trelawne, Owner at Trelawne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Thank you for your review. When I first read this review I thought it must have been posted to the wrong hotel!

All of our superior sea view rooms have either king sized beds and a separate single or superking beds, have all been totally re-furbished in the last two years, have solid Oak Corndell furniture and branded teas/coffees, such as Tetley tea and Nescafe Gold Blend Coffee/Walkers Biscuits. Over the last 5 years we have done extensive modernisation within the hotel and that is absolutely appreciated by our 80% repeat customers. Our restaurant has been totally re-furbished in the last two years. We have never used flat pack or cheap furnishings in the hotel.

I would also like to mention that the provision of a restaurant is what differentiates a guest house from a hotel.

The reception phone is manned 24 hours a day, as we are a resident family run business.
Our sea views of the Carrick Roads, Falmouth Bay and the Helford are unrivalled. With the extensive felling of neighbouring trees, the views have been improved for 2017.

The part of the hotel which refers to your room is dated back to the 1900's, so the mention of stud/partition walls is not quite accurate. The room has recently been totally insulated in addition to provide better heat loss in the older part of our building.

We are very proud of our hotel and do not profess to be a characterless, ultra modern chain hotel. We are a small family run country house hotel that is furnished and decorated as such.

I would be very appreciative if you could contact the hotel directly to discuss this review.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

My husband and I have just returned after a week stay lovely room amazing views, friendly helpful, Naomi was on all of the time we were there what a gem.
If you are looking to,unwind and enjoy gorgeous food, and totally relax this is the place.
We will return
Very clean, every morning we went to. breakfast the good fairy whizzed round our room and cleaned it,
Lovely walks and close to so many attractions. We had fab weather too.

Room Tip: I only saw one room but talking to,others all rooms seemed very comfortable
1  Thank Penny H
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Stayed at the Trelawne for 2 nights. Good position, very quiet, but within easy driving distance of Falmouth. Great for countryside and coastal walks with spectacular views. Friendly helpful owners and staff. Good food, both breakfast and evening meal with plenty of choice. Although advertised with a restaurant for evening meals, we discovered upon arrival that the restaurant is not open on Sunday evenings. Very comfortable bed, lovely large bath towels provided and tea/coffee making facilities in room. We were disappointed with our room - obviously not included in the hotels photos - rather small with a hand basin in the bedroom and a damp smelling and tired (but clean) en suite shower and toilet.

Room Tip: Opt for a refurbished room when booking (unlike ours!)
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Had a wonderful 3 day break, superb view from our sea facing room. Service very friendly and the hotel was well kept and looked after. Location fantastic for walking, gardens and easy access to Falmouth. Highly recommended if you're after a few days r&r.

Room Tip: Definitely go for sea facing view
1  Thank ScottE1407
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a week. The first thing I noticed was the cleanliness of the room. Then the amazing sea view. The family that run the hotel are all very friendly. The bar stocks a wide range of real ales. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business