“Good city hotel”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Brussel
“Good city hotel”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Verry warm welcome at the reception. Room on ground level with window at inner garden. Standard room, cosy (old town wall in room) and a large bathroom. Perfectly clean. In the middle of the city.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Very nice hotel. The location is perfect in the heart of gent. I would come here again

• Stayed December 2011
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were a bit early, but the friendly receptionist checked if our room was available (it was) and
we checked in. The room was nice: quiet and clean. Bathroom with bath and plenty of towels
and other stuff. The breakfast the next morning was huge. Too much to choose from for me, but
everything was there: several kinds of bread, eggs, fresh fruit and yoghurt.

Room Tip: We were staying in 112, a quiet room on the side of the hotel (no river view though)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sussex, UK
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We'd been staying with family in Germany and decided to stop over in Ghent since it was pretty much on our route back to catch the ferry port in Dunkirk. I'd always wanted to visit the city, so it seemed like a good opportunity.

The hotel is well situated in the historic centre of the city, which was ideal as we wanted to explore as much as we could and we were only staying a couple of nights. I was a bit disappointed not to be staying in the older part of the building as I had been tempted to book by the pictures on the website. We did book late however, so that's possibly our problem!

The breakfast was great, and the room was clean. The mattress was far too soft for our liking, but this is matter of personal taste so I can't really moan about that.

The really disappointing aspect of the stay was the fact that the card-key system didn't seem to work. We discovered this when a family walked into our room as we were taking an afternoon nap before going out in the evening. We'd been asleep for half an hour or so and I thought I could hear someone fiddling with the card lock system. I assumed this must be next door as I wasn't really awake properly... until 2 toddlers walked in! Luckily I was dressed and I ushered the children and the ladies with them out of our room - they apologised profusely and left straight away, but I felt uncomfortable about the fact that anyone could just walk into our room. I did mention this to the receptionist and indicated that I was not at-all happy about it. I was told that the system couldn't let anyone else into the room as each key was set up individually for each room... if that's the case I can only assume this was a mistake made by reception. The staff were pleasant and apologetic, but I didn't feel that the issue was taken seriously. My laptop was with me, so I was concerned about leaving in the room when we went out that night.

I was disappointed with the room for this reason, and it affected the way I felt about the hotel and about the security of the place in general. I probably won't stay there again which is a shame as most things were fine.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anglogermancouple
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Super friendly, helpful staff. I had a room in the old part of the hotel with a river view. Very quiet. Difficult to find any faults. I will unhesitatingly recommend GRH to my friends.

• Stayed December 2011