“The Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brooderie

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ghent
Brooderie
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
University Park, Md
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

Oh, I already miss my wonderful corner room! at Brooderie! In fact, I am reluctant to tell others about this great find because suppose I come back and it's booked?
I'll take the risk. My first-floor room was not only big and sun-filled, but painted with my favorite colors; deep red-and-mustard-yellow. The above-the-bakery feel, also, created an ambience of warmth and security.
I am luckier than many travelers because when push comes to shove, I can opt for four-star hotel, though they often leave me disappointed. This cute hostel-like B&B, however, beats many of them out. Okay, you share a bathroom, there's no fridge, and occasionally noise on the street. But in my book, the ambience makes up for any drawbacks. (Plus wait until you taste the breakfast!)
When I come again to Ghent -- which I will, because ohmigad what a fabulous place -- this is where I will plan to stay.

Room Tip: ask for first floor to avoid stairs to bathroom
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

we stayed here for one night only - luckily. Never again. This place has an excellent location and perhaps one of the best breakfast places in Ghent, but the accomodation was so disappointing. We knew we had a room with shared bathroom but we didn't know we also shared that bathroom with the clientele of the teahouse downstairs. Lots of noise from upstairs and downstairs and even some people trying to peep into our room when they went to the toilet, not nice. Don't dismiss this place completely but only go for their great breakfasts and cakes, I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank UrbanNomadIris

Travellers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

First three negative things, then some positives.

I was travelling for business. Crumpled shirt and crumpled suit. Needed to look smart for conference. I asked for an Iron. They said there was No Iron. Then made promises that Sister would bring in Iron. Next morning Sister had excuses why she didnt bring Iron. Said it was too big to bring in. Strange Excuse. Come on Guys !!! I had to go down the Street and ask at another hotel to get an iron. Borrowed their Iron. Walked in with it, used borrowed iron, returned it. No apologies or explanation from the staff. Very strange.

The bed(s) - a double room. Didn't have a double bed. It had two single beds put together. Don't know if this is a cultural thing but this arrangement is not exactly the recipe for happy couples.

The windows - single glazed. Plenty of noise from happy partygoers walking down the street late at night. Bring your Earplugs. Lucky I did. Also the museum across the street has its floodlights on full, and the curtains don't have a pelmet, so if you like sleeping in the light of streetlights this might be your place.

Positives. Great place if you don't like the Formule 1 McDonald's Accor chain style hotel, this place has some local charm and individuality. The breakfast was pretty good though not amazing. Not a hotel style buffet, more just a continental breakfast. Good coffee and pastries. The bakery is somewhere else, I saw the guy pull up with the delivery truck outside the front. Still, the place is a good place to go for something different just not recommended for a long stay.

NO internet, no wifi.

Is it good value for money, well maybe for Belguim but not compared to France or Spain.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank yorkshire_viking007
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

This is definitely something a bit different. We had Room 1 which was a huge dual aspect room with pleasant street views. Yes you do share the toilets(there are two) with the public when the bakery is open but they are kept very clean as is the shower.

The staff were all incredibly charming and helpful right through form booking to departure.

The breakfast as you would expect was good quality and plentiful.

The location couldn't be more centra and is opposite the Design Museum. And this really was the only downside. The room was single glazed and is on a busy street and even at night is quite noisy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

This was such a great find. I was excited to stay above a Bakery. It was odd checking in, we just walking into a bustling soup and bread joint and told the cashier we were ready to check in. She showed us to the room, and it was VERY large.
We had the green room. Very bright and colorful, VERY clean and lots of towels, which I really appreciated. Let me clarify the bathroom situation. The toilets are actually on the 2nd floor, so customers during the day have to use that one. But, since it's upstairs, it's much more convenient than I imagined.
Nice clean bathrooms.

It was a little cold in the room, but that was ok. I just couldn't get over how amazing the location was. It was less than a block to my favorite things in Ghent: The Graslei and the Gravensteen castle. So easy to find everything from Brooderie!

Don't expect a lot of service and you won't be disappointed. When the restaurant/bakery closes, all staff leaves... and it's a little loud at closing time in case you're napping then (like we were!!) The breakfast in the morning is great, though!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple