“Did its job for the price we paid”

La Madeleine Grand Place Brussels
Ranked #169 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We decided to get away for the weekend and wanted to stay somewhere in the city centre of Brussels. We found this for a good price and requested a top floor room. We arrived there in the evening and there was gentleman there waiting. Nice man but he didn't speak English very well, but we communicated. The room was basic, but we had a nice view overlooking the small square next to Grand Place.

As for the breakfast, it was a normal continental breakfast, with no luxuries, but the basics.

Nevertheless, the location is amazing as it is about 2 minute walk from Grand Place, which is really where stuff is happening in Brussels (also St. Gery and St. Catherine).

If you are on a budget and want to stay in the centre of Brussels, then this could be your place.

Room Tip: As for the top floor rooms with a window overlooking the square.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gyorgyigurban
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for La Madeleine Grand Place Brussels

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We decided to stay in this hotel when we were on a road trip through Europe over Christmas & New Years 2010-2011. We had pre booked the hotel...

When we got there we were told we couldn't check in at the scheduled 1pm, we had to wait until 4PM which was a bit of a bummer but not to much of a problem. The hotel doesn't have a car park so we parked in the big multi story down the road. The hotel however is in an amazing position right in the middle of Brussels with restaurants, bars etc in walking distance. when we did get into the hotel the rooms were big but uber dated and the bed was massively uncomfortable. The breakfast was average as well and we were chucked out early in the morning.

However the hotel looked amazing from the outside and was in a great location. I cant complain to much about anything as we paid £40 pounds a room so wasn't expecting to much...

I recommend it for people or friends travelling and staying for 1 or 2 nights who want to take in the sites of Brussels...

Room Tip: Go to the restaurant 2 doors down on the right...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank oliverwoods1988
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed at the Madeleine whilst working in Brussels. The location is great, loads of bars and shops and really close to the station.
The room was ok, a bit dingy, no remote control for the tv, the bed was comfortable, the wifi is fairly reasonable, 1euro for 30 mins.

The one big problem is noise.
The whole building is like an echo chamber, all the doors slam shut, the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything on all floors, I was opposite the lift which makes one hell of a racket. The water pressure in the shower is great, as long as you're the person showering, to everyone else in the place, when the water thunders onto the cast iron baths, it sounds like there's construction work going on in the building. Luckily I take earplugs everwhere I go, but I was still woken up about 8 times during the night.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Bel04
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I spent two nights at the La Madeleine. The hotel has excellent location, just a few meters from Grand Place. It is rather run down, but the room was clean and quite spacious. My room faced the street and it was quite noisy during the night, due to people shouting.

If you are not to picky about modern standard, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NK_GT
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was there this weekend.At the beggining ,after reading what others had written I was a litlle worried.The reality is that I like being there.It is very central,with a lot of pubs in the area,not very noisy.Our room was on the back,not having frontal view,so it was quiet.The breakfast was great :4 types of cereals,ham,cheese,butter,jams,coffee&tea,milk,4 types of bread,eggs,juices,all you can eat.The room was clean,the furniture not so fashionable,but it is a 2 star hotel,a budget one !So for this money you don't expect to be a five stars hotel,right?The bathroom was big and clean.The tv works fine .The hotel personel was nice and helping,everything I asked,they told me.Because it is in the center I didn't use my travel tickets,because I didn't need all of them...You can find cheap greek taverna's in the area,where you can eat a "gyros" with only 4 euros,and in the area is" Rue de Bouchers,where they have lunch offers of 12-18 euros,including a glass of beer or wine.So I was very content of the hotel.

Room Tip: the big ones are at 5 floor.the quiet ones not with the windows on the front.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family