“Great hotel, great location”

Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #34 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 wonderful nights at the Marriott Brussels Hotel. The hotel is across from the Bourse so you can easily find it. We took the train from the airport to Brussels Midi and then took the metro (underground tram) to the Bourse, and we were there. We had an early arrival (0930) but the hotel had a room for us.

The room was clean and well maintained. Everyone was as nice as they could be. The area is busy all day and night. My husband heard street noise all through the night but I did not. We had access to the Executive Lounge which had a great breakfast but the happy hour was not quite as deluxe as other European Marriott's. Although they had small signs around the lobby reminding us that thieves blend in, I did not find it offensive but that is because I have several colleagues that have had bags stolen in the train stations in Belgium. However, I felt safe while I was at the hotel.

We were very close to the Grand Place, which is not to be missed. Also within 2 blocks of the Mannekin Pis. We did the "chocolate walk" around the Grand Sablon and bought many different chocolates. I think it was only about a half mile from the hotel. When on the street headed for the Mannekin, there is a place that sells tapestries, authentic Belgian made ones. If you are interested in purchasing one, you can negotiate. I asked if the price offered was the best they could do, and the sales person immediately deducted 10% from the sticker price. Maybe my fellow travelers could do better but I left feeling happy.

On Saturday late morning, instead of leaving the hotel and going left towards the Bourse, we took a right. There was all sorts of activity going on in the back streets: cafes, farm stands, and places selling fish and other goodies from counters along the sidewalk.

All in all we had a great 3-day weekend. It was lighthearted and fun. The hotel was a delight to visit.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet stay, don't get a room near the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ScDGal2001
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We were very disappointed with this Marriott. Checking in was difficult and there was no one to help with our luggage. Housekeeping consistently left only one towel and one face cloth, and we had to call for more. Our room key had to be re-validated regularly; in fact, guests on the lift would joke with each other over how many times that day that they had to have their keys re-validated. There are signs in the lobby to beware of thieves and the general area a block or so outside the hotel is questionable. The charges for Internet are very high and although there is supposed to be a free hour each day, it only worked twice during our 6 days there. Most disappointing of all were the staff. With the notable exception of Joe, the Concierge, they are unhappy and unhelpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MooseMom10
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We arrived at midday and checked in, and the room was ready for us so managed to put our luggage in the room. The rooms are a good size and very comfortable, a little disappointed with the view as we did not have a front facing room ( which looks over the Bourse (stock exchange) Hubby had one of those rooms last time he stayed there) but thats not really an issue as there to enjoy the city not the view. Love the hotel for its elegant touch.

In the room was a desk with a comfortable chair which was great for hubby to use for his work emails, and also another comfortable chair and little poof to put your feet up which I used to watch the TV which has loads of channels so I was happy watching BCC1 while hubby was working. The bed is a good size and the bed linen is of very high quality absolutely gorgeous. Also in the room was tea and coffee making facilitates.

If you have access to the executive lounge, its great to enjoy a few nibble and a drink before retiring to your room. It is has small nibbles, nuts and drinks beer, wine, soft drinks.. and while we were they had breaded fish cubes with tartare sauce. I guess they change the choice of the hot snack each day but not sure as only stayed one night as moving onto another city. In the morning we had breakfast in the executive lounge as hubby is a gold member due to work - it was quite a nice little selection, scrabbled eggs and bacon, fruit, cereal, croissants - coffee and juice.

The hotel is in a good location a few minutes walk from the Grand Place. And lots of nice eating places and bars. There is a Mac'Donalds very close which has free wifi and great if you want to carry a coffee ( latte) back to your room or in the morning strolling to City2, also very clean restooms but most places are as there is nearly always an attendant cleaning so even though you pay 30-50 cents its worth it!

Love shopping in City2. If you are spending a few days its probably worth getting a Brussels card (www.brusselscard.be/) which gets you into lots of great museums & attractions. I used one last time I went to Brussels and visited lots of museums and it saved me quite a few euros. The city tour bus is also another great way to see the city too. The tourist info is situated in The Grand Place and they are very helpful in there.

My only disappointment this time was they were restoring the stairs so only way to get access to our room was via the lift but otherwise really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel for its location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoopyLou3512
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Great place to be. Centrally located hotel, nice gym, nice pool, and good restaurants in the neighborhod. Good Marriott value. The hotel is specially well situated if you need to drive in and out of Brussels. I

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed in Brussels for 4 nights at the Marriott. We were upgraded to a junior suite. The suite was extremely small for 3 people and we had to walk sideways to maneuver the room. The carpet in the hallway and in the room needed updating. The executive lounge was not well stocked. Though we were 3 in the room, we had to call everyday for an extra towel, because everyday they only gave us 2. We did face the front, and we were on the second floor. Contrary to other reviews, we did not have problem with noise. However, also contrary to the others, I found the location of the Marriott to be questionable. While it was close to the Grand Place, it was also located on a very seedy street, and because of it, I would not choose to stay here again. The street was filled with alcoholics/drug addicts and women with their babies, begging for money. One woman followed me cursing at me because I did not give her money. I would not recommend this hotel for single women who planned on being out late. I liked the location of the Novotel and Ibis better, although I can not comment on the rooms itself.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family