“Worst 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in.”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #75 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 31 July 2017

So I read a couple of reviews before i arrived and just though “hey maybe someone got a single bad room or something” and nevertheless booked the hotel.
Well I can now clearly state that this was a great mistake.
I booked a superior room online and the price seemed reasonable for a 5-star hotel in the city center. Besides I found that according to the pictures, the hotel had some charm.

I arrived Friday evening around 5 pm and the first thing i found out, opposing to what is written in the description: there are no parking spots owned by the hotel and actually no parking spots at all because the whole place in front of the hotel is a construction side.
So I parked the car in a parking lot for 15 EUR per night, which is a good price for a parking lot in the city center but on the other hand I was promised parking spots by the hotel in the description but fine let’s not mess up the stay about that.
So I walked 5 minutes from the parking lot, entered the hotel lobby and it was impressive even though it was a bit dark.
I walked up the counter, the lady was super friendly and explained where our room was.
Let me state here that this was one of the two positive things about this hotel along with the good breakfast.
So we went to our room, which was on the fourth floor, opened the door, then the inner door (interesting mechanism by the way), entered the room and it was a bummer: the room was small, the decor was without the slightest bit of love but now we get to the real awful part.
I wanted to open the window because there was a disgusting smell in the room and once i opened it, expecting a nice view over the city or the place in front of the hotel or something but instead there was a wall. A goddamned wall 2 meters in front of my window.
At this point, I was done with this hotel already but then I wanted to use the bathroom after an 8-hour drive and take a shower.
So I went into the bathroom and found out that it did not see any renovation since probably the late 50s, there was also the source of disgusting smell and everything.
Now you actually already know everything you have to but later that evening, we went to bed into a super small bed, with an extraordinary soft mattress. Basically every time I moved my feet, my girlfriend basically almost fell out of bed.
Overall that was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in overall and by far the worst one in this category.
I don’t want to leave unmentioned that the breakfast, that I had booked was OK, everything was there and fresh but also nothing impressive.
I cannot not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially since I already wrote multiple e-mails, and they did not answer any of them, to even explain this disgrace.

Room Tip: Don’t go there, never ever at all!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel Back in December 2016 few days before Xmas. It's Nice époque hotel in Central Brussel, very spacious rooms big Bathrooms including big tubs... Breakfast and brunch are amazing big choices to die for.they have a wonderful Métropole Cafe brasserie that serves wonderful Sandwiches cakes and of course hot chocolate..
I highly recommend staying at this hotel...

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JWalace79
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Metropole!!! I love this hotel and I have stayed here many times. How terribly sad to see its demise. It's SUCH a beautiful building. Art nouveau elegance. I was aware of huge work taking place outside (why guests chose to have their coffee outside whilst looking at roadworks I'll never know), but the inside was cordoned off in a very large area due to water damage. Titanic indeed.

The hotel was deathly quiet. Curious and disappointing in that case that we were put in an un refurbished room. Very, very dated with shoddy looking corridors. Think Egypt, 1985. Nasty bed covers and just an excess of ugly dated furniture.

I previously stayed here only a few months ago, so make sure that you are staying in a refurbished room. The experience is very different if you are not.

I've heard that it's due to close - I sincerely hope not. This is an iconic building. But it needs urgent updating/ maintenance.

And the local government need to sort out the exterior area if this is to be a viable business. Such a shame but I felt as though I was sleeping on the Titanic, after it had hit the iceberg.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank aggcardiff
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Its a shame we werent advised about the massive works being done just outside the hotel. It is a gorgeous, old hotel but having received earplugs upon our arrival is a bit of a downer. Also part of the hotel is closed due to water damage to the ceiling,again not the nicest view.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I loved the location of the hotel. It was a close location to restaurants, shopping and the amazing architectures around Brussels.

I also loved the building, rooms and the facade; you know you are in Brussels!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business