“Slightly faded but still impressive”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #75 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed 6 March 2014

As a regular visitor, I have stayed in around 25 hotels in Brussels. I would rate the Metropole amongst the better ones, but not the best. The location is good, very close to the Bourse, St Catherine and Grand Place, the public areas are impressive and the staff were universally helpful and efficient. My room was large and comfortable, I was on my own in a double, but even for two there was plenty of space, it was also very quiet. The breakfast was excellent, a wide ranging buffet in a pleasant room. Normally it would be a bit out of my price range, but I got a weekend rate with breakfast included which made it good value; I was asked to pay the city tax on top when leaving, something I have not encountered in any other Brussels hotel (and as it is €9+ a night it is not trivial). It could also do with a bit of attention, nothing serious, but some decoration and modernisation would not go amiss in some areas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Skyraider
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

a monument in the city of Brussels. The room is not equipped with the latest hightech, but then that's what you don't look for in this hotel. Here you come for the unique and authentic experience of the Belgian colonial epoque. The breakfast is nice, staff is helpful and the location is at walking distance both to the historical center and to a vibrant nightlife.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Thomasvd
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Beautiful hotel in the very center of Brussels. Nicely located in the historical center near plenty of sighs, restaurants, shopping and parking garages. The service was incredible and you really feel you're in a 5 star hotel. All facilities, including breakfast room were beautiful!

We found a great deal on a booking site for this hotel and I'm not sure if this was the reason but our room was small, dark and really worn out which was quite disappointing. We didn't expect a room like this at a hotel like this.. Luckily the bed was very comfortable. Our breakfast was included in the price but otherwise we definitely wouldn't pay almost 30e pp since it was rather average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristiina83
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a weekend away with a friend. The hotel has mixed reviews but I can not see why.

We paid £120 for two nights stay for two guest for a grand impressive hotel, with a 5 minute walk to the centre of Brussels.
The hotel is famous as it has appeared in a few movies according to the tour bus.

Negatives:

(For the picky people)

Drains smell when using the sink to brush your teeth but obviously this last for only the few minutes that you are brushing your teeth.

Not eaten here due to the expensive menu of ruffly €40 for a breakfast, however this seems to be the going trend in Brussels hotels due to there being no where I have found for a breakfast in the centre unless u want pastries.

Positives:

Lovely grand hotel, staff are friendly and nice to sit outside with your drink in feb time due to there being proper outdoor heaters. Drinks are an average price €5.50 for cheapest white wine and try the cherry beer €3 (kriek)

I would recommend the city sightseeing tour bus lasting 2 1/2 hours hop on hop of bus. Ticket valid for 24 hours. €24 for an adult ticket this your gives you a true insight to the capital. If you have kept your previous ticket from other city sightseeing
Tour bus you get 10% of.

Turning left out of the hotel and continuing Straight to take a further left opposite food factory will take you into the centre. There is a lot of side streets to go down, you might think your lost but you will always seem to end back up in the centre.

To the right of the hotel is avenue Louise , further up the road. We did not venture this way however on the tour bus this is how we found out what was here and apparently the high street shops run along the main road strip of avenue Louise.

I have wrote this review as when traveling to Brussels and looking at reviews they all seems very mix match so I thought I will write and honest review of the area I stayed.

I would not have stayed in a better hotel, we felt safe in the area. There were a few homeless people asking for money which we assume as they were not talking English but they do not pester you as you are walking to the centre.
We saw one couple give a homeless man a full pizza.

Our flight arrived at Brussels Charleroi airport to find a coach stop to the right of the exit which takes 45minutes to zuidstation
(gare du midi) train station. Costing €14 each way. For us then to get a taxi, which is opposite the coach stop to the metropole hotel costing us €15.90. There is a tram you could get but we arrived at midnight and didn't want to start exploring at that time to the hotel.

There is an underground to the left of the hotel which is really handy to get around if you wanted to.

My friend and I chose Brussels as we wanted a weekend away and this was the cheapest place we knew nothing about the place but we are best pleased and would visit here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Coffeebean92
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Lovely old entrance to the hotel clearly was 5* at some point, sadly the room although clean and comfortable wasn't. If I'm booking a star rated hotel I expect it to live up to what it sold me reguardless of what I pay. That said it was value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Wayne L