“Satisfation not guaranteed” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Satisfation not guaranteed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Although the location was good (close to the train station and a short walk to La Grand-Place) and the room was okay, I found the service rather poor. Wondering whether to use the gym before or after an early dinner, I double checked the hours with the concierge who assured me that the hotel gym would be open when I returned. It was not. Instead I took a nice long walk and looked forward to a hot bath. Returning to the room, I found that the screw-in stopper in the tub didn't work, so I called down for assistance. After waiting almost an hour I decided to just go to bed so I called and told housekeeping to forget it.
Don't get me wrong, these are not tragedies. They are minor annoyances, but when you are at a hotel for one evening before traveling on, you would like it to be as pleasant as possible. At check-out, I was offered a complimentary upgrade the next time I visited Brussels. Strange for a hotel that says "100% satisfaction guaranteed - we make it right or you don't pay". An offer of complimentary breakfast would have been nice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GatsbyUSA
RD_Royal_Brussels, General Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear GatsbyUSA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions. These are very valuable to us.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, and have shared your feedback with our teams.

As you know, we are committed to providing outstanding service and work hard, in all possible ways, to ensure that all guests leave our hotels happy and satisfied.

As we hope to have the opportunity to make your stay with us memorable, I invite you to address me your contact details directly so that I can ensure that your next stay with us satisfies you completely.

Kind regards,

Gaston Gellens
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked a Business Class room at quite a steal, and we were not disappointed. It's elegantly designed, with a king sized bed and enough room to park a push chair. It would be perfect if they included a tub in the en suite, but that's not a big deal. There is a lounge on the floor with free nonalcoholic drinks and fruit, perfect for those traveling with kids and parents who need a quick, healthy snack for them.

The hotel is centrally located, about 5 mins walk to Cathedrale Sts. Michel et Gudule, and 7 mins walk each way to Grand Place and Brussels Central Station. The Galeries Royales St. Hubert are just around the corner, which is great for those who want a quick fix of Belgian chocolates (Neuhaus, Corne Royal and La Belgique Gourmande are there, among others).

My only comment is that the front desk staff are quite cold in their demeanor, as mentioned by other reviewers as well. They are slow to address a queue when it starts to build up during check-in/check-out, and you may find yourself waiting unnecessarily before being attended to. I feel that a hotel of this caliber should be able to call in someone from the back office and add more bodies to the front line. Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, for the facilities. My advice is to just ignore the hotel staff and remember that you're here to visit Brussels, not make friends with the front desk folks.

Room Tip: Watch out for deals on Business Class rooms... it's definitely great value for money.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LadBroke8
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have seen some pictures that other people uploaded but the room I stayed was totally new, very modern,new carpet and also the bathroom was new. Staff in reception very helpful and the breakfast selection was good with a wide selection. Free wi-fi in the rooms. Perfect to stay in Brussels and visit the main spots of the city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Luciasvq
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I will be as detailed as possible. In search of a room to spend a party weekend in Brussels with my boyfriend and my best friend I found the Radisson Royal on Vakantieveiling. nl. After a few attempts, I succeeded to get the rock bottom price of EUR 66 for night in a standard double room (buffet breakfast excluded. Cost: 30 EUR per person/ taxes excluded. Cost:10 EUR. Conditions: prepayment non refundable) The published rate on the site of the hotel was EUR 109. EUR

76>< EUR 109. This a good offer, indeed.

The hotel is conveniently located close to the Grand-Place and at 300 m of the busiest shopping street of Brussels. Right in front, there is the famous restaurant, the Belga Queen.

The Radisson chain has the reputation of market leader in the hotel industry. Having stayed at the hotel Radisson Blu Astrid in Antwerpen previously my overall experience at the Radisson Blu Royal Brussels was quite disappointing.

1.Reservation handling - Check-in/check out: The receptionist just polite enough did not succeed to answer my questions about the final price. I guess that his cold attitude is a Scandinavian touch. After a minute, he kindly asked me to switch from French to English, so that he could help me better. It was not a real issue. I'm not a French chauvinistic pig. However, I could easily imagine the outraged reaction of a Parisian bourgeois to such question. How shocking! Quelle horreur! Nous ne parlons pas l'anglais, monsieur! Same story at the check out. Lot's of confusions. 4 glasses of wines were added on my bill out of the BLU... euhh... sorry.. out of the blue. :)

2. Extra bed: At the time of booking, I also requested an extra bed, which was not taken into account. I asked the receptionist to add it. When arriving in my room there was no extra bed. I called the front desk immediately which answered me that the extra bed are always placed after 18.00 as per the standard procedure. Fair enough. We could have been advised beforehand. Unfortunately, the bed never arrived. We had to call one more time. No extra towels were given. 2 persons +1 person = 3 persons.The same logic should have been applied to soap, shampoo and towel supplies.

3.Room quality and comfort: Classicly furnished, the room was clean and the bathroom spotless. Probably outdated to my grand-mother's taste. On the armchair, there was huge greasy stain, which gave me the feeling of lack of attention andf care. It would have certainly bugged the typical middle aged house wife.

I checked on the hotel's website and on a very famous reservation website.The standard room looks way more up-to-date than what I was given. I can only conclude that It was not a real offer but the "maid" s' room.

I strongly advice the hotel's manager not to fall asleep on his own hotel's fame and to give a kick--- training to y his receptionists. Rather a friendly smile than a icy face. A crash French course would not be a luxe as well. If a 2 stars can do it it you can do it!

Deserving 5 stars does not only lie in offering specific facilities but also in paying attention to details.

To you the reader, I advise you to avoid at all cost the 2nd floor. It seems to be the obsolete one. My room had the number....250.

Have a pleasant stay at the Radisson Blu Royal Brussels!

Jonathan

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JonathanS1979
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

we have not been here for 20 years and won`t rush back,the lobby is nice,the restaurant was good but the first room they put us in stank of smoke so we moved to another which was very plain and basic,no where near 5star,it is in a good location with a short walk to city2 and the grand place

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RD_Royal_Brussels, General Manager at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Anywhere49,

Thank you very much for your feed back.
I am very sorry to hear that our different room styles did not met your expectations. Standard rooms are declined into 4 different deco, such as Maritime, Classic and At Home styles. These are equipped with tea & coffee machine, trouser press, safety box, iron, bath with shower, as well as free and unlimited access to internet connection. It would have been a pleasure to propose you any of these styles to suite your preference.

Our hotel has turned into a non smoking hotel since 2011, unfortunately some clients do not always play the rule despite messages and signage.

I know that we cannot make your experience undone, however I really hope that you will give us a chance to reinstate ourselves in your good opinion, next time you will travel to Brussels. Please, do not hesitate to contact me as I would be more than happy to take personally care of your reservation.

Best regards,