1,879 results
All reviews schuman metro station free wifi leopold park maison antoine european quarter eu institutions eu area funky hotel european commission large tv comfortable bed great shower city centre walk in shower hotel bar reception desk the grand place
Reviewed 30 December 2012

For the price i paid, i was blown away, The first time i came to brussels i lived in a similar price hotel but then i found aloft. after that i always lived in aloft. The staff is very very helpful. There is a gentleman in the front office i think his name is Karim. I would like to express my thanks to him. He was very kind and extremely helpful. Also the bar staff. Overall i rate this hotel 100 stars. I dont say just because of the price. I would pay more. Thanks aloft for making my stay's a memorable one.

Room tip: all the rooms are good.
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Manoj K
coenvan, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Hi Manoj K,

You are probably referring to Krasimir? Thanks very much for using the talents name in your review. It allows us to specifically recognize those that make a difference to somebody's stay and rest assure we will celebrate in style with Krasi!

It seems that you are a big fan of Aloft which makes us feel very honoured. It's pretty cool to know that our "hospitality with a twist" is appreciated so much.

Thanks again and wishing you an easy breezy day!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have stayed in alofts all over the US, there aren't many internationally and this was a pleasant surprise as it is familiar but unique. All-in-all its a good facility, clean, spacious, easy to use, decent access, but there are drawbacks.

A breakdown of the important factors that reduced an otherwise five point hotel to two points in ascending order of aggravation:

- it is close to the Schuman metro stop, very easy walk but the Schuman station is a catastrophic mess and very unpleasant to use and looks as though it will be that way for a long time. Privately Belgians may be clean but theirs is a filthy country, particularly in public spaces with a stench of urine unparalleled in any major European city. This is not the hotel's fault but unless you are on EU business, the Schuman station is of major importance as it is your easiest access to the city. On this count i regret not paying more and staying at Le Meridien.
- there are no good restaurants in the immediate area. PAUL is okay for breakfast if you don't dine at the hotel, but their menu is not too diverse. Maison Antoine is flat out disgusting. McDonalds has better fries. Honestly.
- i called the front desk to inquire if a particular restaurant was open since it is the holidays. I could tell english was a struggle, so i asked if french was better. Not. Back to english, she believes the restaurant should be open, she seemed to know it. What i had hoped is that she would call and verify. I guess that is too much, fine, i will take the risk. So we trudge our 2 year old out into the cold evening, walk 10 minutes to the place. It is not just closed, the restaurant is shut down. How can the front desk staff not know the status of the nearest major restaurant agglomeration. Thats just bad hospitality. It's preferable not to dine in the hotel, but please know your surroundings!!!
- when we arrived the shampoo and soap dispenser in shower were effectively empty, as was the soap dish. I called immediately to have it replaced, they never did. Housekeeping cleaned on day 2, was not refilled. I intercepted housekeeping on day 3 and said we needed soap, i heard the message be delivered to the floor housekeeper . . . Still not filled. 3 days with no handsoap and only the bottom scrapes of the shower dispensers. They must be out of soap. We had to scrape it out of the bottom of the dispensers. How can a hotel have no soap? How can housekeepers day after day ignore this critical piece? How can two direct guest requests go unanswered? Oop, just made me downgrade them to a 1 point review. Sorry, but unacceptable. Too many people not doing their jobs, on multiple days in multiple departments.

I'll stay at Le Meridien, thats if i wanted to come back to the armpit of Europe. Maybe with a big stick of deodorant . . .

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Manny S
coenvan, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Hi Manny S,

Small things can make a big difference. In this case it seems that certainly counts for you and you experience in Brussels.

We regret that the first two factors on which you scored down the hotel are not within our span of control. To relay them - the Schuman metro station is currently under full refurbishment and indeed causes some disruption and not the type of welcome that one would expect. We are confident that once the refurb has been done facilities are up the high standards one may expect from the EU area. Secondly, there are in fact a number of lovely restaurants for various budgets in the direct area around the hotel and would have been glad to recommend these to you. Meet Meat and the Parkside Brassery are my personal favorites.

Naturally we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to fix the soap dispenser during your stay. We realize this is highly inconvenient and regret the negative effect this has had.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed here in November 2012, the hotel was fabulous. Beautiful, clean, friendly staff, close to supermarket and metro. The rooms were amazing - such a comfortable bed, great design and the shower was the best shower I have ever used. The bar area was very trendy and happy hour was a good way to start the night. I would recommend staying here.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucy c

Hi lucy c,

That seems to be an allround positive review! We're delighted that you enjoyed staying with us so much and made full use of all the facilities on offer including happy hour. The hotel is new, so the design and quality is as good as it gets. We hope you will soon be back for some more :-)

Have an easy breezy day.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

I was planning to attend a workshop at the EU Commission, so I needed a place to stay in the area, and this hotel was in walking distance (5 minutes) from the Berlaymont Building. Also, is very close to public transportation (subway station Shuman) and I liked the modern and "smart" feeling I got from their website and various booking agents, all things that I got confirmed during my visit. I'm a young professional, I like hotels that can say something different from the usual, and this without doubt falls within the category.
Room was comfortable with a nice bed, a sofa, and a big lcd tv on the wall in front of the bed, and just behind the headboard there is the bathroom area. A washbasin with mirror and a small wardrobe, with a rack where a kettle and other handy things finds place. The toilet and shower area is divided from the rest of the room by a clever "sliding mirror wall". The shower cabin has an opaque glass towards the sleeping area to get even more light and for a nice effect.
I did not mention the free wi-fi, the 24h self-service food area in the lobby, the wxyz bar, all things which give added value to your stay.
A great find, I recommend this hotel if you are in the area for business or leisure.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank TedStriker75
coenvan, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Hi TedStriker75,

Wow! - that's a great review! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with the tripadvisor community.

You hit the mark in many ways. Aloft is exactly that - a cool and convenient design hotel that is well located, a smart and covenient room layout with cool technology features and a buzzing social scene in the Wxyz bar. By the sound of it, you fit this profile very well. Hopefully that means you will be back with us soon for some more a-list adventure.

Wishing you an easy breezy stay!

Greetz,

Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

The positives: Located just 5 minutes from Maelbeek or Schuman metros, 5 minutes from Place Jourdan. New, smart, if a little like an entertainment centre but with welcoming staff. Also, excellent value - €140 for two nights (2 people) was good for Brussels in the run up to Christmas. Comfortable beds. Superb shower/wet room.
The negatives: Our first room smelt of cigarette fug and had ash on the window sill. Not acceptable - Aloft is non-smoking for a start! We needed to head out for a meal so left the complaint until we returned in the evening. To be fair, the reception were excellent and offered a different room very quickly. Good. The new room was, decor and finish-wise, very high but had a different problem - the in-room safe didn't work. After alerting reception, we waited (and waited) and chased reception again before they finally informed us that there were no maintenance staff to fix it. Not good. We didn't fancy carrying our keys and spare Euros around Brussels at night and ended up staying in. However, the night supervisor appeared and tried to fix the safe and, although he couldn't, suggested we could use the hotel safe-deposit area for our items - if only we had been told earlier! We raised our issues with the manager in the morning before heading out to the market.
Back to the Positives: upon returning from our Christmas Market shopping, the manager had left an apology and a bottle of wine in our room and had also deducted a portion of our bar bill. Good.
Overall, Aloft delighted and disappointed in equal measure but redeemed itself by listening and resolving. The manager was particularly helpful and courteous and I would be willing to give Aloft a second chance. As long as they fix the safe ;)

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank tw7pp

Hi tw7pp,

Although overall you seem to have had an enjoyable stay with us, we allowed ourselves to slip on certain standards here and there. Our apologies for this - your review certainly helps us to keep focusing on what is important. Naturally we have fixed the safe in your second room and had another deep clean of the room you first stayed.

Aloft is indeed entirely smoke free. Nevertheless occasionally people neglect this and risk a fine for deep cleaning and a loss of revenue as a result of this once they have departed. Your experience proves once again how tough it is to remove this scent from the room.

We are of course not proud when we fail to deliver a flawless experience, however I do hope that the bottle of wine and attention from our front desk team was a token of our care for your wellbeing. I do therefore also hope you will chose to stay with us again when your schedule next brings you to Brussels.

Wishing you an easy breezy day.