“You can't go far wrong with this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Matelote

Hotel Matelote
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“You can't go far wrong with this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Excellent location in quiet street minutes from the main square.

Staff were extremely helpful both prior to the visit (email), on arrival and throughout the stay. All evening meals were arranged and booked via the hotel staff and all were excellent. Best restaurant was the Aurelia - go there before they retire as you will not be disappointed.

We stayed in room 6 on the second floor. Compact but fine, very clean, great shower and comfortable beds/pillows.Fridge and safe present. No real view.

Minor Quibbles? The room was rather warm at the start of our stay but stabilised with time. Please provide larger bath towels!!! Our flatscreen TV had a single vertical pink stripe, no big deal

Free wifi

No lift, but to be expected in period building

Cannot comment on the optional breakfast as we ate out in small cafes.

The hotel is modern in style with a minimalist look

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel for its location and staff as the primary reason.

I read the "OK" review by BlueJay and would say they were unlucky with there room. There was a step up to our bathroom but no problem if you leave the subdued blue lighting on in the bathroom. Not the largest we have ever had but in very good condition. As to price, we paid £100 per room in the centre of the historic district during Christmas market weekend. I think this is pretty good.

Room Tip: Rooms 2 and 6 are compact but very good value. They have large family rooms available at the end of...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Marktbreit, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed one night at the Matelote hotel in December 2011 for business purposes and paid € 110 excluding breakfast € 12 extra). As they had only 1 standard room left when booking, I booked a suite for my colleague, which cost € 150 exkl. breakfast.
The lady at the reception was very friendly and immediately explained to us the 'must-sees' in Antwerp. She gave us some valuable recommendations for chosing a nice restaurant, which you can find all over in Antwerp.
Since the hotel is located in an historical building from the 16th century, there was no lift available, maybe the only inconvenience about this hotel. The older lady from the reception would have carried my luggage, but I of course preferred to do it myself. Not an easy job, as my room was on the second floor and the stairs were very narrow. Apart from that, I also carried the luggage from my colleague to her suite, also on the second floor, but in another part of the building.
My room was nice and modernly decorated. It was not completely my taste, but it was very clean and neat. The floor was made from a kind of concrete, so that business or high-heels would make quite some clacking noise when walking. The kingsize bed was perfectly comfortable and due to the location in a side street, it was very quiet, although my room faced the street. The working desk was comfortable, but the chair was not if you had to use it for more than half an hour for work. The internet connection was fast and reliable and available without extra charge. There was a flatscreen TV, but neither a coffee machine, nor drinking water.
The bathroom was well sized and the shower was huge. Everything was clean, but there were a couple of things which would have to be fixed to be perfect.
I only took a glance at the suite from my colleague, but it looked so beautiful, extraordinary and romantic. Through the roof windows you could see the beautiful towers of the cathedral. She was very much impressed and enthousiastic about her suite.
The breakfast was a typical continental breakfast with bread, cheese, ham, cereals, boiled eggs, fruits, yoghurts etc. But no cooked breakfast and I think € 12 is too much for what it offered.
At check-out they had problems witht their administrational system, so that they couldn't establish an invoice and just charged my credit card. They promised to send it to us and after a couple of days I received the original invoice by standard mail.
The hotel is located in a quiet side street in the middle of the beautiful Antwerp historical centre. If coming by car, you have to park in the nearby public parking 'Grote Markt', around 200 metres away from the hotel. I paid € 18 for around 12 hours parking. Antwerp is really beautiful and everything is in walking distance from the hotel. I think this is the main argument for chosing this hotel and I therefore assume tourists would rather chose it than business people. I will certainly go back for a romantic week-end with my wife, but then in the Matelote suite!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here the last night of a 2 week trip to the low countries. This was probably my least favorite of the places we stayed. On the plus side, the staff was VERY nice and VERY courteous. The location is also exceptional - just a couple of streets from the city center but despite this was very quiet. The hotel at one time was probably cutting edge but struck us as somewhat dated and worn. The room was very small and the very small bathroom was up a couple of stairs - a real pain in the dark. I thought the price was also higher for what you got than any other place we stayed. Consider this if location is key...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I wish that I had been travelling for pleasure/holiday, instead of business. This hotel is a gem in the middle of Antwerp. I had to leave before breakfast was served each day, and I was rushing to deal with business concerns. If I had been on holiday, I would have enjoyed this hotel even more.

The decor was perfect for me - minimalist, high quality and stylish. My room was HUGE (close to the size of my condo at home!). Floors were a composite/pebble and decor was all white. Bathroom was equipped with a shower, standalone large tub and beautiful sink/vanity. Great sitting room with couch, english TV channels and courtyard view.

If you're looking for a modern, stylish and convenient hotel, I highly recommend Hotel Matelote. I can't say enough about the great desk staff, especially Susan. She took excellent care of me during my stay.

Word of caution, for those looking simply for large chain hotel convenience (elevators, room service, bar, etc.), this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Gentofte, Kobenhavn, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

- Great rooms
- Fantastic atmosphere
- Friendly and helpful service
- Very reasonable room rates

all in a hotel located in the old town centre

Room Tip: Room eight is fantastic. Funny layout with entry via an internal staircase. Definitely not handicap...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business