“Great food and tons of fun”
Review of Las Manas

Las Manas
Ranked #297 of 1,578 Restaurants in Antwerp
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 47
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: In Antwerp, bustling city of culture and nightlife, there is a Spanish place, close to the historic center and the marina. This restaurant takes the permanent challenge to meet the tastes of its customers. Both for the atmosphere as in the kitchen. The restaurant has been in service for 3 generations. Rayco, Yapsi and Dad Miguel keep the traditional Spanish cuisine in mind. As a base, grandma's recipes that started in this place more than 40 years ago. The recipes are always updated, but with respect of the old culinary tradition, which is never lost in sight. With their passion for hospitality, cosiness and gastronomy, they are committed to bringi us delicious food, atmosphere and live music. And of course there are 20 cocktails that are prepared by our barman with a lot of 'amor'. The philosophy of the restaurant is distinguished by the authenticity, quality and simplicity of the ingredients. For enologically conscious people, there are always the ideal wines.
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Over the last 5 years, I have developed a special place in my heart for Las Mañas. I visit Antwerp three times a year and make sure to pay my visit to Las Mañas each time. By far the best atmosphere in all of Antwerp or even Belgium. Start your visit with an amazing cocktail - a Caiprinha or Mojito. Then find you way to your table... Start with the cold classics... pata negra, mancheho, macedonian tomatoes, olives and peppers with some sangria. Then order some hot seafood tapas from La Coruña... gambas a la mama (you can bath in that sauce), pulpo (octopus), calamares. Next... order the giant stuff... machete and jurassic gambas and add a little lamb to the mix. Close the night with Papa's special ginger shots. Sing along great live cover of Gypsy Kings classics. I promise you will have a memorable dinner experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Invited by my business friends it was my first time in this excellent restaurant, food was very good, atmosphere perfect and staff / waiters were very friendly and helpfull.

I really enjoyed this nice evening entertained by two gitar players, absolutely perfect!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

A lot of people in Antwerp get seriously over excited about this place. Therefore, being a foreigner who has lived in Spain for a while, I've decided to give it a try.
Honestly, I felt as the cook was trying to give the guests a heart attack. With the exception of the tortilla de patata that was completely bland and tasteless, all the other dishes were so salty that you could barely swallow! Seriously, are you trying to be the biggest user of salt in the whole of Belgium? Not even litres of water could help afterwards!
The decor and atmosphere has nothing to do with Spain as I've seen it - maybe with the exception of the tourist resorts in Lloret del Mar or Benidorm. Overall it's loud, disorganised and not really Spanish - more South American in my opinion (music).
On top of it all the staff doesn't seem to be trained on the wines offered...
All in all - I do not recommend to anyone, not as a Spanish place nor as a restaurant.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rayco E, Propietario at Las Manas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

This is a salty critic! The other 200 costumers must have a taste problem. As a family bussines in 45 years, people use the confidence to tell us if there is any problem
We kindly like to solve. I like to hear that i'm into the wrong job. Thanks anyway

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

A lot of atmoshere in this Spanish style restaurant, relly good food, and wines ! The boss keeps an eye on well trained professional and friendly staff...then comes the band...ambiance garanteed !

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

After moving to Antwerp not long ago, I looked for Spanish restaurants in the area to see what was available to occasionally enjoy some food from home. I studied in la Escuela de Hosteleria back home and had the pleasure to have teachers like Joan Roca, from el Celler de Can Roca, awarded best restaurant in the world and I appreciate when food is well cooked.
Well, yesterday I decided to check out Las Mañas to my great disappointment. It does not reflect or do justice to anything we hold dear in terms of food and atmosphere in Spain.
The approach is intense and vulgar. The food is hideous. It feels like you are in a fast food chain. We had a range variety of tapas. Octopuse, too salty and missing the steam potatoes that normally are served with traditionally. Chipirones, overcooked and again far too much salt. Croquetas caseras, if it wasn't for the huge amount of salt they would have been ok. Tortilla de patata, after the previous dishes being so salty nothing could be tasted in terms of flavour. The potatoes were boiled instead of cooked with olive oil which is the secret to a good tortilla.
Patatas bravas, stay away. They charge 10€ for portion and we couldn't even touch them. Horrible.
What to say about the atmosphere. They had a mexican band moving around the tables, so loud you could not even have a normal conversation. After they finished playing they went table by table collecting money in such an aggressive way they would not leave your table unless you payed them!!!! Outrageous...
I will not be coming back.

3  Thank mersaure
Rayco E, Propietario at Las Manas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

What a teacher! After 45 years in bussines, and running one of the best working restaurants in Belgium. A smartass sents us to school! I admire your sence of critics, but your sincerity is a huge dissapointment! Thousands of world-citizents encouragent our way of working. Thanks anyway