“Feels almost like vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlton President

Carlton President
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Utrecht
Bucharest
“Feels almost like vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I know, whenever you go on a business trip you are not able to enjoy too much the hotel room but ... this time I like it.

Maybe because the hotel doesn't look like a standard tall steel and glass building but rather like a vacation cottage. And my room had a nice and big balcony (hehehe, in a summer probably more appreciated than now, in Dec). Maybe because everybody (Reception, cleaning ladies, etc.) where nice and friendly. Or maybe because I am really tired of “high-tech” style for a modern hotel. This one is modern and has all modern the utilities but the feeling is … almost like vacation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Veve_33
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ghent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

When i entered the hotel from the large parking lot, it was like coming into a typical English hotel. The brass was meticulously polished, the paint fresh and glossy, the carpets thick and clean. The staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful. I got a spacious room on the second floor, but immediatly got the impression that the internal decoration of the room was not as fresh and shiny as the public places of the hotel. One of the comfy sofa's had burn holes, the bathroom was a bit worn and - rather disgusting - a brown stained towel was hanging on the iron rod of the bathroom door. The room has a mini bar with ridiculous prices, as mini bars are priced all over the world. The hotel offers free wifi. And the speed is really good, so one can video-skype with good quality.
The menu in the restaurant is rather limited but the food is of a decent quality. The service was OK but not outstanding. The breakfast was a nice surprise....ample choice, friendly service, warm and cold dishes.
I am hesitant to give a 4 star rating, but some of the detailes just turned me off... Maybe I just stroke some bad luck that day.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank PeterSGhent
CarltonUtrecht, Senior Account Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
First of all we would like to thank you for your comments. To maintain and improve our level of service all comments are highly appreciated.
We sincerely apologise for the fact that the towel in your bathroom was not clean. Please note that we have taken immediate action by informing the laundry company about this matter. Also our head of the housekeeping department is informed so that we can do extra checks to avoid this in the future. Concerning you other comments about the room, I would like to say that we can assure you that all our rooms are cleaned very thoroughly. It is not allowed to smoke in the rooms, so it should not happen that there are burn holes in the sofa. However, unfortunately this is very difficult to avoid.
Thank you again for informing us, so we can solve this matter appropriately. Please accept our apologies and kindly inform us if we can help you in any other way.
We do hope to welcome you back real soon in our hotel.
Oldbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May, Drinks and snacks were very pricey and staff were not always the friendliest to others but did not have any direct problems with them personally. Breakfast was good with a decent selection and provided a good start to the day. Rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious although there was what looked like to be a bloody fingerprint on the headboard, although I can't confirm that 100%. Very pleased with the gym, a good selection of machines and was lucky enough to have it to myself for the 2 days. If I were to come back to Utrecht I would to hope to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_Howen
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We loved the hotel, the breakfast, the cleanliness in rooms.
Its easily reachable from Schiphol, the International Airport of Netherlands by Intercity trains.
Amsterdam is also accessible from here without much of a hassle - same Intercity.

Awesome rooms, a first choice for family & business travellers.
Clean bath rooms, bed linens & duvets. Bar is awesome as well. Very nice area to chill within the hotel campus just outside the lobby.

If looking for a place close to Amsterdam & within affordable limits as well - I would say - this is an ideal choice. Even better if you have your own car.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Berkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

The hotel is a bit dated, but appeared to be clean. My room (104) was large, quiet and had a balcony looking over some gardens. It was also an excellent location for the office I was visiting (a 5 minute walk)

BUT... I woke up at 2am feeling itchy. I assumed I was having a reaction to the detergent on their sheets, but I struggled to get back to sleep. After leaving the hotel, and still being strangely itchy, I investigated, and I discovered I was covered insect bites. LOTS of them. 37 at the last count.

Does the hotel have bedbugs? I went to bed with no bites and woke up with 37! My colleague was staying in the room next to mine, and she was fine. Something clearly isn't right. I sent an email to the hotel asking them to investigate my room, but haven't had a response.

So I am writing this back at home, covered in antihistamine cream, and not planning on staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 104.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments! We received your comment already earlier and tried to contact you by phone and by e-mail about the situation.
Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to speak to you in person. This also to determine the exact source of the problem.

We can assure you that all our rooms are cleaned very thoroughly. In our investigation no bugs were found, but just to make sure we have taken immediate action by hiring a pest control. Also nothing was found, but an extra clean was done.

I hope you reconsider to stay with us, the next time you are in Utrecht so I can meet you in person.

With the kindest regards,