“Decent”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Oldbury, United Kingdom
“Decent”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May, Drinks and snacks were very pricey and staff were not always the friendliest to others but did not have any direct problems with them personally. Breakfast was good with a decent selection and provided a good start to the day. Rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious although there was what looked like to be a bloody fingerprint on the headboard, although I can't confirm that 100%. Very pleased with the gym, a good selection of machines and was lucky enough to have it to myself for the 2 days. If I were to come back to Utrecht I would to hope to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_Howen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We loved the hotel, the breakfast, the cleanliness in rooms.
Its easily reachable from Schiphol, the International Airport of Netherlands by Intercity trains.
Amsterdam is also accessible from here without much of a hassle - same Intercity.

Awesome rooms, a first choice for family & business travellers.
Clean bath rooms, bed linens & duvets. Bar is awesome as well. Very nice area to chill within the hotel campus just outside the lobby.

If looking for a place close to Amsterdam & within affordable limits as well - I would say - this is an ideal choice. Even better if you have your own car.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Berkshire
Reviewed 9 August 2011

The hotel is a bit dated, but appeared to be clean. My room (104) was large, quiet and had a balcony looking over some gardens. It was also an excellent location for the office I was visiting (a 5 minute walk)

BUT... I woke up at 2am feeling itchy. I assumed I was having a reaction to the detergent on their sheets, but I struggled to get back to sleep. After leaving the hotel, and still being strangely itchy, I investigated, and I discovered I was covered insect bites. LOTS of them. 37 at the last count.

Does the hotel have bedbugs? I went to bed with no bites and woke up with 37! My colleague was staying in the room next to mine, and she was fine. Something clearly isn't right. I sent an email to the hotel asking them to investigate my room, but haven't had a response.

So I am writing this back at home, covered in antihistamine cream, and not planning on staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 104.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
CarltonUtrecht, General Manager at Carlton President, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments! We received your comment already earlier and tried to contact you by phone and by e-mail about the situation.
Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to speak to you in person. This also to determine the exact source of the problem.

We can assure you that all our rooms are cleaned very thoroughly. In our investigation no bugs were found, but just to make sure we have taken immediate action by hiring a pest control. Also nothing was found, but an extra clean was done.

I hope you reconsider to stay with us, the next time you are in Utrecht so I can meet you in person.

With the kindest regards,

Bart Blikman
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

There's nothing special about this business hotel on the outskirts of Utrecht, most of the visitors are there for work in the the surrounding offices and industrial sites - as was I.

The food is fine, but not spectacular. Good enough not to bother heading out somewhere else if you're tired, but not special enough to stay in if you can make plans for elsewhere. Service does go downhill towards the end of the evening as the staff focus on clearing down, rather than their remaining customers.

Breakfast is the usual buffet experience - plenty of fresh bread and cheese as you're in the Netherlands, with some hot items thrown in. Coffee is from a machines and gets 4/10 for the latte offering.

Bedrooms are an OK size, but need a little TLC - the whole hotel has an 80's vibe about it. Beds have a super-soft mattress topper which may suit some, or be too sweaty for others. The (free) hotel wi-fo was unreliable, though there is a good 3G signal in the area for those that have a dongle.

The bathroom is where a little thought would have been appreciated: Separate shower and bath. Great, except that the usable space in the show cubicle is greatly reduced by the sticking out thermostatic mixer on the rear and a soap tray and grab rail on another wall - this really eats into the space and does not make for a relaxing shower.

My suggestions - rip out the bath and put in a decent walk in shower space when you refurb.

TIP - if coming from the AMS Airport, take the cheap train into Utrecht then get a cab out to the hotel - will save a few €. Trains run every 30 minutes and take about 30 minutes. You can usually get a fixed price cab back to the airport, so not such a great saving.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
amsterdam
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel on saturday evening after a wedding nearby. The staff is exceptionally welcoming and service minded.
Soms points of critism though are necessary. First of all if you book an executive room (more expensive) you will get a queensize bed, if you book a normal deluxe room you will get a king size bed. The hotelstaff was friendly enough to change our rooms immediately.
The interior design of the rooms is nice but the bathrooms are really outdated, not four stars, and breakfast is rather expensive for what is offered. For 24.50 euros you would expect breakfast to be more luxury with a wide choice of sweet breads, more fresh fruits and more choice in eggs.
Overall satisfying for the purpose of our stay but I wouldn't recommend it for a real weekend getaway.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a kingsize bed
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
CarltonUtrecht, Director of Sales at Carlton President, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments! It is good to hear that you appreciate our service minded approach. Kindly note that our Executive rooms are especially designed for our business travellers - mostly travelling alone - offering extra business services and space. If you are travelling with family and are looking for a more luxurious room, indeed our Deluxe rooms offer all you need. I am pleased to hear that your reservation could easily be adjusted.

I understand your comment about our bathrooms. Although these are tight and clean, offering a seperate shower and bath, an update is required. I am happy to inform you that in the upcoming months our bathrooms will be fully renovated.

We do offer an extensive American breakfast buffet and are sorry you did experience this otherwise. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel so we can convince you that our hotel is the perfect weekend getaway.

Kind regards,