“Great Ambience; amazing sushi”

Yamazato Restaurant
Ranked #303 of 4,630 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 151
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Booked this restaurant as a surprise for my girlfriend. Great settings and very clean. We ordered sushi for the starter - which were incredible. Could've ordered it 3x over and been more than satisfied.

For mains, I had the duck and my gf opted for the teriyaki chicken. Again, both meats were cooked to perfection, accompanied with rice (under salted, slightly) and greens.

We opted for the rose wine - the name, however, escapes me.

We didn't have desert as I had already requested a cake be brought out for her - and that too was delicious.

In all, we had a great experience and would highlight recommend Yamagato.

*Price point is what to expect from a Michelin graded restaurant.*

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

Passing through the gorgeous and rich looking hall of the Okura hotel, we entered an elegant and very Japanese looking Yamazato restaurant. The view on the pond outside with the big fishes is excellent and we are served the whole evening by very Japanese ladies who smile a lot and really make us feel 'the client'. Excellent. We order the most extensive menu and after a thorough introduction by Sander, the sake expert, we choose for a combined sake/ wine pairing.
The menu in general is disappointing. No amuses, very small bites of (too) cold sashimi, soup two times in the times. Absolutely good quality, but not the top we expected in a Michelin star restaurant. (And also, because we are spoiled with the best sashimi restaurant in Amsterdam, where you can suck the tuna fish with a straw-if you want to know where, send me a request). The best dish in our menu at Yamazato: the wagyu beef; very very tender.

Our compensating surprise for the menu was the sake pairing. At the beginning of the evening, I explained to Sander that we love fruity, yet strong wines and he offered us a truly delicious series of sakes. Really delicious. The sake alone is a reason to visit Yamazato.
But you can do without the food.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

It was our first time at a real Japan restaurant.
We have made our reservation before and given a table looking at the courtyard.
The atmosphere both inside and courtyard makes you feel you are in Japan. The pool full of Japan fishes and apple tree at the courtyard adds delicacy to your meal.
We have told our waiter that it is our first time and explain us everything. She did so.
She chose for us the meal and drinks which was a perfect choice.
We ate Tori Kaiseki menu which is a 6 course menu and asked for extra sushi.
She asked when to bring the next, explained everything from preparation, to serving and how to eat all courses.
No phone rule is one of the best surprises. No bell rings, no loud talks on the phone.
The service quality was real high. It was enough to raise your head and one waiter would come to you.
It was a 2.5 hours non-stop delicious food. All courses were perfect both in taste and serving quality.
Do read their recommendations about the kitchen they serve and Japan traditions at their website before going
Book in advance and be there on time. If possible ask for a table looking at the courtyard. Do not hesitate to ask questions, you just meet with a smiling face whatever your question and request is.
Paid for two courses, 4 drinks and 3 sushis 275 euros which I think worth each penny.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 3 August 2016

I have visited Okura a couple of times already, Sazanka, Serre and now for the second time Yamazato. Every time when we arrive, we are welcomed with such friendly faces and staff.

In Yamazato we have never ordered a menu, despite the fact that they look very delicious. The main reason is that most of the time we have dinner, we bring along our 3 yr old son and you can imagine that having a 7 course dinner with a toddler is quite time consuming. On the other hand, the hotel itself is perfectly suitable to go out and have a walk with your kid after your appetizer, main course. Its good enough till the next course is being served. Although Yamazato doesn's have a kids menu, but which kid doesn't like noodles?!? My son is in love with the Udon noodle soup!! The broth and meat are yummy.... My son always wants to finish the broth...and no the broth doesn't come out of a pack, no artificial stuff in it.... pure and tasty broth.

You can order your ordinary ushi, but I would advise you to have a look at the handrolls, especially the soft shell crab, king krab and fried tuna skin are to die for.

Main course: we had the deep friend lobster, wag-yu with egg sause and the duckbreast with aubergine. The wag-yu is something you should try, especially with the egg sause. And I can hear you think, duck breast and aubergine thats nothing special....... first take a bit from the aubergine... and then we will talk afterwards.

For desert I had the maccha (green tea) cake and the rest of the family had ice cream. The maccha cake was extremely tasty. If you are going for icecream, I dare you to take a scoop of their Sake icecream..... yes.... Sake the rice wine.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Went to Yamazato for lunch while in Amsterdam , the three of us ordered the Seasonal Menu, which I must say pleased everyone immensely. The appetisers were delicious, both the sushi and the sashimi stellar. We had bass as a main course, which was super fresh yet not as exciting as everything else. Setting and service were excellent , the pace was perfect and so were the explanations. All in all, a fully satisfying experience , on a par with the best Japanese meals I have had all over the world.

Date of visit: July 2016