All reviewstour boatswalking distancepeterprinsengrachtsupermarketutrechtstraatcanalcity
Reviewed 1 August 2016

I stayed here with my husband for three nights to kick off our honeymoon in July, and we had a ball! The location can't be beat - in a beautiful, quiet residential area away from the loud tourist hordes, our temporary home was an oasis for us. It was the perfect size for a couple, we had everything we needed to be comfortable, and we loved spending our evenings watching the boats slide by in the canal and feeding the ducks and a swan that swam by our open windows. We also loved the funky decor - totally our style! The owner, Peter, was nice, and I'm glad that we asked him to pick us up at the airport. If you know Amsterdam very well, then the place is easy to access via tram from the Central Station. However, we had just arrived from a trans-Atlantic flight, were very jet-lagged, and I had last been in Amsterdam in 2004. SO, having Peter pick us up and take us directly to the house was perfect (I don't think we could have found it on our own otherwise).

If you're looking for a typical touristy, Ritz-Carlton experience, this is not the place for you. However, if you're open to a unique, funky, and fun experience when visiting Amsterdam, check out the Prinsen Boat house! We hope to stay there again on our next trip to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Be prepared to keep your blinds closed unless you're ready to wave to passing tourists on boats (which I did, and thought it was fun).
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheFlyingLatvian
Reviewed 17 July 2016

My husband and son recently booked the Prinsen for a 7 night stay in Amsterdam. They were extremely dissapointed by many aspects of this accommodation. The photographs on the website were extremely misleading. the accommodation was tiny. One bed and one sleeper couch which when opened took up most of the space. There was 1 towel available for 2 people and this towel was hard and unusable. The boat had spider webs in many places and had a musty damp smell. My husband and son stayed one night and then moved to a furnished apartment close by which was cheaper, cleaner and very comfortable. The houseboat was a big rip off and we would not recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Lulu43
peter p, Owner at The Prinsen Boat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2016

Well, what a strange and nasty review.
My first reaction was, ok, you cannot please them all.... Our other 67 reviews, all 4 or 5 stars, will tell future guests enough.
But then I remembered how rude these guests were. They were very unpleasant to deal with, demanding 2 beds when the came in. To such a level I had to get blunt with them, telling them all the information was send to them in the mails during the booking process.
There is a king size bed and a sleeping couch with pulls out into a bed.

Oh well, my wife made the booking.
Well, your wife should have done her homework.
Your wife made the booking for the day after the your arrival. Luckily we could accommodate you the day you arrived.

Apparently the lady who wrote the review is the wife.
She has not even stayed on The Prinsen Boat but feels she has to express her discomfort about her own mistakes by posting a nasty review which is full of untruths.
Spider webs and a damp smell, stayed 1 night.... Simply not true.
What more can you make up to write a nasty review while you have not even been on the boat....
Oh yes, one hard and unusable towel... Please..... There were 4 towels and certainly not to hard to use.
We did not get any complaints from your husband and son during their supposed 1 night stay..... how strange..... especially as they were very rude and complaining when they came in.

Lady, next time you book accommodation, read the information that is provided to you so you do not need to write nasty reviews full with untruths to cover up for your mistakes.

Best regards, Peter

P.s. The sleeper couch folds both ways. You can also fold back so it will not take up any space.

Reviewed 20 June 2016

Boat was as described and was clean with all facilities,including WiFi, working Excellent location makes this an ideal choice for those wanting to visit Ann Franks or Van Gogh museum. Canal walks are excellent and the surrounding bars and restaurants makes cooking unnecessary. The area surprised us by being quiet even although the trams are only 20 metres away. No hesitation in recommending it for a couple.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tartantrumpsFalkirk
Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with our thirteen year-old grandson for three nights. It was a terrific experience and a wonderful place to stay - especially if you're open to a bit of adventure. Who wants to stay in an expensive and routine hotel room when you can reside on one of Amsterdam's historic canals? This place is very clean, quiet, safe, and convenient to walking to Amsterdam's great sites. We especially liked dining at the kitchen table while watching and waving at the innumerable tour boats that glided silently past.

It's a bit intimate-- but what European accommodation isn't? Warning : if you're used to staying at Claridges in London or George V in Paris, this is not for you).

The owner is very accommodating, friendly and helpful. We recommend this place wholeheartedly.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric S
Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed on Prinseboat as a last minute decision having had other places fall through and I'm so glad!!!

We had the most fantastic time on the boat. The bedroom is magical, the shower is really effective, it's warm and cosy and we felt so special being on the river watching people sail past; it made us feel like locals.

It was centrally located easy walki distance to bars and restaurants.

I would definitely go back!

Thank you so much!