“Don't even bother.”

Sarphati Hotel
Ranked #354 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Don't even bother.”
Reviewed 27 April 2011

What an awful hotel owner, he talked absolute rubbish when he said we were emailed two weeks ago about our booking being cancelled.... Well we received no such email! After of of my friends being pretty upset about it we asked him to sort it out for us but he told us it wasn't his problem.... So if it wasn't for the luck of a friends brother letting us stay at his we would have been thrown out on the streets with no further help. I wouldn't even consider staying there now.

• Stayed April 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2011

On arrival to the hotel my friends and I were informed (after half an hour of waiting in a very tiny room) that our rooms had been cancelled and that we had been emailed 2 weeks prier to traveling, we had not. The man on the door was extremely rude, inappropriate and aggressive and after talking to him for 2 minutes we all agreed that we would have regretted giving him any of our money to stay in such a pokey and unwelcoming hotel. Would not recommend the place to my worst enemy.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mmmmm91

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2010

had a good time in amsterdam with some friends

the hotel was not very close by the city centre but a taxi or tram are good options for this problem.

we had some problems in the park with another group what ended up in a fight. i thought the park was very unsafe to be in, in the night. expeccially don't go there if you whant to keep your wallot.

overall the hotel is worth the money if you can make a good deal!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
oakham
Reviewed 30 September 2010

You have to be quite fit to stay in this hotel, as we had to climb four very steep flights of stairs to our room (which was right at the top) so it wouldn't do for anyone even slightly infirm.

Apart from that, the room, although small, was quite comfortable, well-appointed and reasonably quiet. The proprietor was very helpful and friendly, and an excellent breakfast was provided.

The hotel was a ten-minute tram ride from the city centre but there was an excellent restaurant, Zaza, nearby.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in single room. The location of the hotel is far from the city center, but easily reachable by taking the tram no. 25 from the AMS Central, which also passes the city center. Since I don't like to stay in the crowd area, it suited me well. The surrounding area is quite quiet but safe. The owners (sorry, I didn't have a chance to ask their names) were nice and helpful. Breakfast was good. Upon checked-in, I was informed that they had just replaced the TV in the room assigned for me, so it did not work for that night. I didn't come to AMS to watch TV, so I didn't mind. It's good that they informed me in advance and asked whether I wanted to choose another room near the reception area, which I refused.

The only shortcoming I felt was lack of bathroom amenities. They only provided one sachet of gel both for body and hair. It's not enough.

A little bit expensive, but almost all hotels in AMS are expensive, compare with what we get.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo