“Highly recommended”

Ranked #11 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sorrento
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Perfect location,friendly staff,excellent breakfast,design rooms,very clean,free minibar and espresso machine in the room

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Antonino G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Beacon, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed here during an overnight layover and chose this hotel based on the reviews I read here on TripAdvisor. I was assigned the "design" canal view room and I was so glad to have the view even though the street noise was audible with the windows open but it didn't bother my sleep a bit. The room was clean, and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. The breakfast was also delicious and the dining area is just such a lovely place to sit on a sunny day. It was so convenient renting the bike from the hotel and then spending the day biking around the city - this was a great first time Amsterdam experience here at this hotel, especially since it was so centrally located. It was nice too arriving to a stocked refridgerator and coffee/tea setup as well as a strong wifi connection, and I appreciated the laptop sized safe. In all, a very comfortable room.

The only thing holding me back from giving it a higher rating really is the overall attitude of the management there. It's hard to tell if Pepjin is painfully shy or genuinely detests having to interact with the public. The aura wasn't rude exactly, but lacking in any sort of welcoming feeling. I had reserved a bike when I registered online, and when I asked about it was abruptly told "you didn't reserve one" and I had to show my receipt to prove that I had. He reviewed everything with me that I needed to know but rarely looked me in the eye as he was talking to me. And I had read online about the lovely cooked breakfasts that other guests had received, and was a little disheartened when that wasn't offered to me, so I asked about it. They accommodated me and the breakfast was a lovely mix of breads, cheeses, eggs & bacon but I suspect it wouldn't have been offered if I hadn't asked for it, which really does put the guest in an awkward spot. There were also little things about the room that irked me a bit - like there were no screens on the windows and so during the night I was bitten by a mosquito ... and there were no washcloths in the room, only full sized towels.

But I would stay here again knowing these things and just next time bring my own washcloth! The place is very centrally located, comfortable, clean and charming, and really all my needs were met.

Room Tip: The design room has a great canal view but the overall interior design looks alot better in photos t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank myszia
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A perfect choice for our first trip to Amsterdam! Lovely, artsy B&B. Hosts Rachel and Pepjin are wonderful people, and were a tremendous help for anything we needed, including transportation to and from the airport. The "Design" room is large with a canal view and was spotlessly cleaned every day. They have a fridge loaded with complimentary beer, juices and snacks. The bathroom was full of wonderful smelling shampoo, body wash and body lotion. Every morning we were treated to a freshly made breakfast. A short walk from Centraal Station and a ten minute walk to most highlights. These nice people even held some of our luggage for us when we went to Belgium for two days. At the end of your long day sightseeing, Kitkat will greet you in the foyer!
And don't forget to use their map - it is the best!

Room Tip: Book early! Canal rooms are larger.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
north wales
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This "quirky" little bed and breakfast is faultless , each room has been designed and decorated in a theme and has been done so to a high standard , The owners give their personnel attention to every detail and it shows , Amsterdam would not actually feel the same without staying in this hotel . Its position next to the canal and near to all tourist sites and the station is ideal ! I was originally looking at the larger higher star hotels in the area when my friend (who we went with ) pointed this little place out , we would not normally try a 2 star but the revues were so good that we thought we would try it !! So glad we did !!!! Well done to the owners ...!! If you are looking for a couple of nights get a away ...you have to stay here ..!! (just a warning to those who are infirm or have any leg problems , then ask for a room on the first floor , the staircase is very steep and narrow ...but worth the climb if your quite able !! ) ENJOY !! xx

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor overlooking the garden ...beautiful ,clean room .
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NorthWalesHermanator
Manama
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Very personalized service. Absolutely outstanding. We stayed here for one week at the end of June, 2012 and could not be happier with our accommodations and the warm and helpful service we received from the owners--their 'watch' cat is even loving. The rooms are adorable, artsy, and very clean. And, of course it did not hurt that they have Nespresso machines in every room. The breakfasts are fresh, good, and nutritious. Pepijn is truly very helpful with everything. He can get tickets for anything, so there's never waiting in lines to get into the popular museums. We absolutely would not stay any other place in Amsterdam. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: check Trip Advisor before any other site.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple