See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Been in Amsterdam for a bachelor party of a friend and stayed in the hotelboat iris for two nights with four friends: could not have made a better choice! The staff is young, very professional and friendly - they even allowed us to chill a bit in the lunge with friends not staying on the boat, and this was very kind given the occasion why we were there. The rooms are spacious (way more than in other boats we saw around) and cleaned every day; the wifi is for free and reaches every corner of the boat. The breakfast is also very good (and you can have free soft drinks any time of the day)! I will definitely come back here the next time I'll be in Amsterdam :)

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

It was a great experience. From the time I booked it from booking.com I was anxiously waiting to stay in this boat. I was not disappoint infact it was better than I expected. Wouter the gentleman who runs the hotel was very helpful and very nice person. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. As mentioned coffee and tea is unlimited throughout your stay along with cookies and fruits. The place is very close to the central station and all the other city centre places yet the area is so peaceful and beautiful. You have to accept the fact that the rooms are small since it is boat. But the beds are very comfortable and for me the space is more than enough. For me the WiFi was OK the bandwidth and data was enough as I was there not be in the Internet but to see the city and experience. Only disappointment was that I wanted to stay for about 4 days but the hotel was fully booked so I had only one day. I would definitely come back and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Thanks Wouter for being a great host and making my stay a brilliant one.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Anyone who has any negatives about is boat is crazy! Home from a 2night visit . The guy who runs boat is nicest man you will ever meet cant do enough for you. There are no tea an coffee making in rooms but theres a coffee machine an biscuits you can use through day an night. The rooms are 2 single beds comfy and rooms spotless. The views from deck of boat are fantastic. Cant really coment on wifi as i was there to see amsterdam not sit on wifi in room! Thank you! We will be back!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2016

We really liked the idea of staying on a hotel-boat but the reality did not quite meet our expectations.

I always like to start with the positives and there are quite a few with this hotel-boat, it’s location was quite near the station and very central. All areas of the boat were 100% clean and there was a well looked after feeling about the boat. Breakfast quite nice, but the free coffee machine was not fully working so no hot chocolate etc.

This is not a cheap place to stay but did have the feel of a hostel rather than a hotel, access was via a rather narrow and shakey gang plank that’s not for the faint hearted. The bedroom was very clean and quite nice but on the down side the tiny bathroom was difficult to access and showering near impossible if you’re a larger size person. Only single beds that were a bit to hard to enjoy a nights sleep on.

The never managed to get the wifi working.

Overall we quite enjoyed our stay, but I think if we had stayed more than 2 nights the novelty factor would have worn off and the hard beds would have taken their toll on our backs.

Room Tip: End of the hallway room is the quiet option
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2015

Booked this place primarily because the rest of Amsterdam was so expensive. That said, it wasn't a bad call at all. I was made very welcome at all times by the genuinely warm staff. The boat is very attractive internally and externally. My single cabin was tiny but I knew this to be the case before leaving. Even so, there was nowhere to stand in the bathroom, unless it was in the shower. It was clean even though they had not yet had the pre sailing season big clean. There were strange whirring and rattlings in the morning which did wake me up. Breakfast was your typical continental fare. Free coffee, fruit, biscuits throughout your stay was a nice touch but there were no facilities in your cabin. It was cold for my weekend stay but they had thoughtfully provided a fan heater. I have one big gripe. The wi-fi was hopeless. It was limited to 50 mb per 24 hours but using data hungry gadgets, like we all do today, meant that within 5 minutes of signing in, I had used my allowance. No video, no streaming, just a quick Facebook check and a catch up with the news. My coffee was only half finished when I got kicked out and that was it till the next day. I only bothered once more in the end, and had exactly the same thing happen. The guy in reception says this happens all the time. Yet, go on the Hop On/Hop Off canal cruise and it was full 3 bars, unlimited free hi fi. So it can be, and in 2015, really should be the case on Iris. My only other advice for prospective guests is one of access. It is a good 15 minute walk from the Centraal Station. Once on the jetty, there is a steep and precarious metal gangway. I felt unsteady in trainers. Anything resembling a heel would be treacherous. Also the steps down to the cabins, remember you are on a ship, are also steep. Bare this in mind if you have mobility issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin on the starboard (right) side otherwise your view is of the jetty and the boat window of the boat 10 foot away.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank jonathanstafford
HotelboatIris, Manager at Hotelboat Iris, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2015

We are happy to inform you that we have cable internet from now on. There is still a system that allows a free usage of 100MB without any pascodes but guests can now come get as many vouchers of 5GB as they like at the reception. We are very disappointed with such a review but we hope you notice that we try to improve.

Kind regards,