“Room with a view”
Review of Hotel Old Quarter

Hotel Old Quarter
Ranked #295 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We were here for a nearly a week. On arrival we were shown a room on the other side of the street as described by a previous reviewer. We had asked for a canal view but there was no note of this request. This seemed to be a genuine mistake by the booking company, and the staff were apologetic and offered a room with a view in the hotel for 4 of the 6 nights, the weekend was fully booked so we had to switch to over the road for those two nights. The weekend was very noisy with street revellers and no good for anyone who doesn't sleep like a log.The place was much quieter mid-week. No sign of bed bugs and the room was basic but clean. Relatively cheap at around £40 pppn. This is one star remember.Good location, bar/restaurant decor heaps better than the rooms. The locatiom was interesting and the place has a definite buzz, with very friendly staff and good Dutch food. We had a great time but we don't travel for luxurious facilities,

Room Tip: Book a room in the hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

While this place has a number of pluses [e.g., location and friendliness of the staff] the bed bug issue is not to be denied. I am back home from 4 nights at the Hotel Old Quarter over the weekend. I read of the little critters and was, I suppose, prepared to take my chances —and the first two nights, I experienced no problem. However, the red, itchy blotches began to appear soon thereafter, particularly on my right foot, which must have properties especially appealing to these creatures.

My main hope is that I didn't bring any of the insects home.

The Hotel Old Quarter is one of the lowest cost places I was able to find online for my stay in Amsterdam, yet it was more expensive than bedbug-free and more comfortable, equally well-located places in which I had just stayed in Nice and Paris. Yes, Paris.

Until they resolve the bug issue, I can't recommend the place. I guess Amsterdam is just not for hotel bargain-hunters.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank RouteBG
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I have just returned from Amsterdam after a 2 night stay at this hotel. I booked it for my boyfriend as a surprise for his 30th birthday. Like a lot of the reviews we thought the location of this hotel was excellent but thats about it. On arrival we checked in and was told our room was not in the main hotel but in a building on the opposite side of the road, this particular building was awful, you entered through a little banged up side door, the bottom half on the building was boarded up, the stairs are dangerous- not good first impressions!! The room itself was basic and dirty, we had a double room with private bathroom, the double bed is actually two singles pushed together, the only half decent thing about the room was the space. I have to say when walking out of this building and onto the street we actually felt embarrassed that we were staying there. In the end we complained and the staff agreed to move us into a room in the main hotel building, this room was much nicer with a view of the canal but still very basic and a little dirty.

I paid 180euros for our 2 night stay, I went with low expectations of this hotel and thought it would be adequate for our needs however, I was surprised that it was even worse than I was expecting. My advise to anyone thinking of booking this hotel is -Dont do it! pay the extra 100euros and get youself booked into the Ibis, however if you do decide to stay here make sure you ask for a room in the main hotel and dont expect much!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Myself and friends stayed here. When we woke up in the morning we were covered in bites and red blotches, on closer inspection there were black and green little round bugs on the walls, in the sink and up the bed. My friends in the other room had no problems though so when I went to complain to the manager he said it must have been because I was with a woman in the red light district! Disgusting! Especially as my fiancee was standing beside me.

The reviews on this hotel show a bed bug problem going back many years, is there no environmental health inspections in Holland this excuse for a hotel has to answer to? This place needs closed down and fumigated or something done. I have read good reviews too so if you book this hotel your are taking a big chance. Good luck!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with no bed bugs. Inspect the room and bed first!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John9991
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We only stayed here for one night.. It is in the heart of Amsterdam, minutes from the train station, Dam square, Red Light DIstrict.. Nothing is more than ten mins walk at most.
The room we stayed in had 2 single beds end to end, up 2 'typically Dutch, ankle twisting flights of stairs'. The room was no 5 star luxury suite, but if you're going to Amsterdam to enjoy time in a hotel room, you shouldn't really be going to Amsterdam.
We had the breakfast that was included, which was perfect for the 'Dam hangover! The staff were lovely and very helpful... Even after we had checked out, they let us leave our luggage in their locked storage room, so we didn't have to carry it around all day, which was really nice of them!
Overall I had a lovely trip, and having a hotel so close to everything that did good food and reasonably priced drinks in the bar just topped it off!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends