“Nice staff but hotel smells funny.”

NH Amsterdam Centre
Ranked #121 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nice staff but hotel smells funny.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The staff was really nice but that cute red couch in the lobby has stains on it. The carpet in the halls was also stained. Some of the numbers that point to which direction your room is, were missing. The bedding was clean, as were the towels. The bed was really sunk in the middle, it was not comfortable at all. The plus is that this hotel is close to everything! We walked to Anne Frank, Van Gogh, I amsterdam sign, the hard rock, a casino and plenty of local shops including an H&M.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Let's start off with the good points. Staff were excellent at the front desk, very helpful with directions and recommendations throughout our stay. The hotel is in a perfect location...right in the heart of the city without being too close to the loud bars at night. Now for the not so good... When I booked a surperior room, it was supposed to come with a balcony which their superior rooms don't have. I travel 8 -10 times a year on business and have stayed at 50+ 4 star hotels and this is by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. When we entered our room the first thing we noticed was the dust on the floor - our friends down the hall noticed the same thing. We asked that day to have the floors (hard woods) cleaned but when we got back it was clear that they only did a partial job - cleaning in front of the TV and couch and not near the bed or in the washroom. To check it, I threw a glass off water on the floor and wiped it up with a towel - it was black with dirt. So not only was the floor dusty it was actually dirty. I have a baby crawling around so I actually cleaned the floor myself with the towels. All the furniture was dirty as well, with crumbs and stains on every seat and bed. I didn't feel comfortable there and most likely will stay somewhere else next time. Shame as the place has a lot of potential. ...and although I paid upfront through a website when I checked out there was an extra "city tax" that I had to pay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
bentonville, ar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I've been coming to Amsterdam annually for about a dozen years. I keep returning to the NH Centre, a business hotel. I teach in Italy during the summer and spend time in Amsterdam before returning to the states. So I'm not your typical "business" traveler. But for me, the location is just right: between Liedesplein and Museumplein. Like most business hotels the breakfast is way overpriced (but this one is good). The Superior are usually worth the difference. Staff is always great. The WiFi protocol in the lobby remains a little stupid and a waste of time for all of us. But the hotel overall is good.

Room Tip: 411 w/balcony is my favorite.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hotel is ok, but...many small things didn´t work as it should at the four star hotel. There was problems with an elevator, dishes were otside of the room waiting for a cleaner long time, there wasn´t any extras at the room, the room was littlebit dusty, bathtube was disorder, hairdryer worked two minits at the time. Breakfast was expensive 20 €, we ate outside of the hotel. Good location, museums and shops, even organic foodstore nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed Easter weekend and arrived early fri morning, check in was smooth and quick with an upgrade to an apartment but then found that I was booked in as someone else although handing over my passport, this was rectified although they did say that my reservation was not listed. Hotel was in a Prime location with easy access to every part and transport. Breakfast although seems expensive was well worth a visit for the one morning over our weekend for its variety and quality! Rooms were amazingly clean and even and towels replaced daily. small altercation on check out as we had been charged for other breakfasts that we had not had, although this again was eventually rectified the hotel food manager was adamant we had had the food on both mornings when I asked for CCTV footage and also it was clearly no one in my party of 3s signature she then sent staff out to see if they has seen us. This was the hotels only main flaw but would overwise
Highly recommend this hotel and will be staying in other NH hotels and certainly revisiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2012