See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Too excited to be in Amsterdam, we were very clear we wanted to stay close to the main square and the tourist places. Nieuw Stotania was once such hotel close to IBIS near the railway station. What amazed us is once you step out, you can see the canal and also an array of parked bicycles, never in my life have I seen so many bicycles parked there.

The hotel lobby is nice. The rooms are extremely small, just like any other budget hotel. The rooms were clean though and well maintained. The bath room extremly cramped though. It will be difficult for a heavy person to poop with the door closed.

The hotel was close the Amsterdam Square and places like Casa Rosa are at walkable distance from the hotel. It is quite safe as well. I actually did not like the public urinals which were quite open stinky. They were on the way to the Amsterdam square from the hotel so beware.

Ambience: 3/5
Service:3/5
PS: I had visited the place in November 2015, but did not have an option therefore have mentioned December 2016

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Read reviews so you know what to expect
Not a 3 star hotel standard (uk standard) worse hotel I have ever stayed in ! Yes it’s cheap but if I had know standard I would not of booked see pictures of our room and this was after we had been moved as stains on bed and horrid smells in first room they gave us ! Rooms tooo hot , very noisy ! You get what you pay

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank SEF552
Reviewed 14 October 2017

The reviews do not lie! This is the worst hotel in Amsterdam and possibly Western Europe!

Firstly and most importantly, there are absolutely no positives whatsoever about this hotel! IT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN! IT IS THAT BAD! You could not pay me to stay here again! It is so bad that I am taking this up further to see this hotel get at least fined or preferably shut down! Nobody should have to stay here!

The first thing that greets you is the horrifying and putrid smell. The entire hotel smells like urine and it is seemingly a joke to patrons to just ignore it.

The carpets in the hallway have never, ever been cleaned and are stained heavily with urine, dirt and god knows what else! (see photos) The walls are also stained. In my room were stains that I am positive were semen. (see photos)

I stayed in a 4-bed shared room and the beds were intolerably uncomfortable and full of bed bugs. (apparently the case in every Contiki room) The sheets and pillows were stained and yellowed and smelt as if they had never been washed.

The chairs in our room were an even worse health hazard and had blood stains on them. (see photos) This was the most serious complaint I spoke to the manager and was rebuffed. I was told that I could not have a refund, and that all other rooms were booked.

The room had no windows or air conditioner and a broken and barely working fan was the only source of comfort.

The shower had 2 settings, either frozen Arctic winter or flaming lava and the toilet was weirdly attached to the side wall in the corner, thus requiring the person to sit on it sideways in order to use the toilet.

Wifi was abysmally poor.

Breakfast was nothing more than fruit, toast and instant coffee (literally nothing more).

The location of the hotel is also so ridiculously far from the city centre that you may as well be in Rotterdam. It takes €20 by taxi to get to the hotel from the city centre.

I was staying in this hotel with Contiki. Had I been by myself, I would have demanded to move hotels. Regardless, I spoke to the hotel manager about my complaints and was ignored and rebuffed. THEY SIMPLY DO NOT CARE! Most of the Contiki group also complained to the manager and the Contiki staff and were also ignored. With Contiki being a large source of the hotel's income nothing will change unless Contiki shuts shop and moves somewhere else.

Never, ever again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I came here during a contiki tour and found that the rooms were well sized and were clean, tidy and modern! The hotel itself was pretty basic and run down, there wasn't much too it but we didn't spend too much time at the hotel. Our tool was nice and that's all that matters! Would come here again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This hotel is definitely for those who are fine with the basics. We chose it mainly based on cost and accessibility into central Amsterdam. I would say for our stay that it wasn't quite worth the money we paid, but the transport links from the hotel are regular, reliable, and overall very good.

The hotel could do with a bit of a facelift and feels a bit tired with a hostel rather than a hotel vibe to it. I think the photos capture it in its glory days; the interior is a bit shabby, and as other reviews have mentioned, the carpets are worn and dirty, and our corridor smelled of mould.

Our room was functional - the beds were comfy (although we were expecting to receive a double room and instead received a twin room), and the bathroom was clean with a good shower. We were facing out onto the road, so it was a little noisy, but not sleep depriving. The two main downsides were that the windows didn't seem to open (if they did, we couldn't work it out), meaning there was a lot of condensation on the windows so the curtains had become quite mouldy. Secondly, we could only find one plug socket in our room. Not a deal breaker, but still would have been useful to have a second.

The service at reception was fine, although only went there to check in and out. Staff seemed friendly.

The breakfast was fine, although it's a shame that the bar leading down to the breakfast hall is disused and kept as a cleaning store cupboard!

All in all, it was somewhere to rest our heads and have a wash at the end of a long day, but don't expect too much more than that. If your budget can extend a little further, see what else is on offer.

Room Tip: One that isn't road facing will be much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple