“Absolutely horrific”

Nieuw Slotania Hotel
Ranked #343 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a group of 50 or so travellers on a Contiki trip. This hotel was selected as the Amsterdam accomodation. We each had quad share rooms. The rooms themselves were tiny. There was no room to move or put your belongings down. This hotel is very much more what I would describe as a hostel than a hotel. In any event, for a budget price I can accept a small room. Also, bathrooms were actually quite good.

The horrific part of the stay was that we had bed bugs. And not only did we have bed bugs, most other rooms also had bed bugs. Another 2 groups of 4 had bed bugs not only in their original and replacement rooms. Of these groups, one was offered 2 fresh rooms and found bed bugs in both. The second group was offered one room which also had bed bugs. They were then not offered another room as they were at capacity and had none available and so slept downstairs in the lobby. I didn't discover our room had bed bugs until the day after the first night. I had checked and found nothing but after checking again after sleeping in the bed, I discovered I had bites. We were then given another room which I again checked only to check again before getting into bed hours later to find bugs both inside and ON TOP of the sheets.

It is necessary to note that the bed bugs were some ginormous mutant m-f-ers and I've honestly never seen anything like it. I would absolutely not recommend staying at this hotel to anyone. It was a disgrace.

Revolting. Poor hygiene. Unacceptable.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank vcrms

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Too excited to be in Amsterdam, we were very clear we wanted to stay close to the main square and the tourist places. Nieuw Stotania was once such hotel close to IBIS near the railway station. What amazed us is once you step out, you can see the canal and also an array of parked bicycles, never in my life have I seen so many bicycles parked there.

The hotel lobby is nice. The rooms are extremely small, just like any other budget hotel. The rooms were clean though and well maintained. The bath room extremly cramped though. It will be difficult for a heavy person to poop with the door closed.

The hotel was close the Amsterdam Square and places like Casa Rosa are at walkable distance from the hotel. It is quite safe as well. I actually did not like the public urinals which were quite open stinky. They were on the way to the Amsterdam square from the hotel so beware.

Ambience: 3/5
Service:3/5
PS: I had visited the place in November 2015, but did not have an option therefore have mentioned December 2016

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Read reviews so you know what to expect
Not a 3 star hotel standard (uk standard) worse hotel I have ever stayed in ! Yes it’s cheap but if I had know standard I would not of booked see pictures of our room and this was after we had been moved as stains on bed and horrid smells in first room they gave us ! Rooms tooo hot , very noisy ! You get what you pay

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank SEF552
Reviewed 14 October 2017

The reviews do not lie! This is the worst hotel in Amsterdam and possibly Western Europe!

Firstly and most importantly, there are absolutely no positives whatsoever about this hotel! IT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN! IT IS THAT BAD! You could not pay me to stay here again! It is so bad that I am taking this up further to see this hotel get at least fined or preferably shut down! Nobody should have to stay here!

The first thing that greets you is the horrifying and putrid smell. The entire hotel smells like urine and it is seemingly a joke to patrons to just ignore it.

The carpets in the hallway have never, ever been cleaned and are stained heavily with urine, dirt and god knows what else! (see photos) The walls are also stained. In my room were stains that I am positive were semen. (see photos)

I stayed in a 4-bed shared room and the beds were intolerably uncomfortable and full of bed bugs. (apparently the case in every Contiki room) The sheets and pillows were stained and yellowed and smelt as if they had never been washed.

The chairs in our room were an even worse health hazard and had blood stains on them. (see photos) This was the most serious complaint I spoke to the manager and was rebuffed. I was told that I could not have a refund, and that all other rooms were booked.

The room had no windows or air conditioner and a broken and barely working fan was the only source of comfort.

The shower had 2 settings, either frozen Arctic winter or flaming lava and the toilet was weirdly attached to the side wall in the corner, thus requiring the person to sit on it sideways in order to use the toilet.

Wifi was abysmally poor.

Breakfast was nothing more than fruit, toast and instant coffee (literally nothing more).

The location of the hotel is also so ridiculously far from the city centre that you may as well be in Rotterdam. It takes €20 by taxi to get to the hotel from the city centre.

I was staying in this hotel with Contiki. Had I been by myself, I would have demanded to move hotels. Regardless, I spoke to the hotel manager about my complaints and was ignored and rebuffed. THEY SIMPLY DO NOT CARE! Most of the Contiki group also complained to the manager and the Contiki staff and were also ignored. With Contiki being a large source of the hotel's income nothing will change unless Contiki shuts shop and moves somewhere else.

Never, ever again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I came here during a contiki tour and found that the rooms were well sized and were clean, tidy and modern! The hotel itself was pretty basic and run down, there wasn't much too it but we didn't spend too much time at the hotel. Our tool was nice and that's all that matters! Would come here again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple