“Nice place”

Ranked #300 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Roseville
“Nice place”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Have stayed at this hotel many times. Service is always good and friendly staff. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank essacramento
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Me and my partner went in Oct 2011 to Amsterdam for a short break away had flights booked but no B&B so when we got to Amsterdam we were recommended this B&B and you cant fault it. The staff were lovely, great breakfast in the morning and there was no noise at night. Its great if you dont mind being outside of the main area of Amsterdam its a tram ride to the centre...on our last day we discovered a lovely cake shop its a must to go to just down the road!! The room that we stayed in had a lovely comfy bed and a separate bathroom...was a walk up and down the stairs but didnt matter to us. We will hopefully be going back to stay in Oct this year for another short break...when i was booking my trip away it was very hard to find a nice B&B for a reasonable price and this ticked all the boxes clean, friendly, own bathroom and good price!! would book here again and close to centre...about 10mins tram ride into centre hope this helps
tegan and rob

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tegz_Rob
va
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The KAP's location is conveniently located close to Van Gough Museum,etc.
Our room was not fancy but we were in Amsterdam to see the sites.It was clean and bed was nicely made.Yes,like most older hotels, the stairs are wicked-steep and narrow!! BUT the staff voluntered to handle our luggage.
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly;they even offered us a room on the lower floor for the next 3 nights. They also printed out directions to our next hotels in Holland.
This senior citizen can only say good things about The Kap.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rhetta
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My friend and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Amsterdam, preferring to spend our money out and about than on a fancy hotel. For this, Hotel Kap rated pretty well. It's on a relatively quiet street that isn't a terribly distant walk from the centre, and was indeed inexpensive. I would note that other travellers should definitely be aware of the very steep stairs - we totally underestimated how difficult it would be to carry a heavy suitcase up them! The staff were also friendly and let us check out in the evening as we had to leave before the front desk opened.

The room, however, was definitely budget style. The sheets on my bed were ripped and stained, the shower had mold in it, and the hotel only provided a tiny sachet of soap and shampoo. There was just one plug in the entire room, which was already in use, so we had trouble charging our phones and Kindles. This is cheap, but be aware that what you're getting is also cheap.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mbookworm
East Anglia, UK
Reviewed 25 September 2011

As readers of my other reviews of Amsterdam hotels will already know, I tend to keep my expectations low - and still have them dashed. Unless you're paying big bucks, you'll be faced with poorly-maintained, insecure, often bed-bug infested dives you reach by something closer to a fire ladder than a staircase.

What a pleasant change to find a clean, pleasant, quite well-maintained and friendly - but still inexpensive, for Amsterdam - hotel.

The Kap is easy to get to, just off a roundabout around which quite a number of the major tram lines run - including at least one serving RAI. It's in a quiet back street, and just opposite the Asterisk, where my wife and I spent a very mediocre weekend once.

I arrived late-ish evening, having already eaten, but the welcome was friendly, and there was none of the nonsense other hotels try, asking for large deposits for the TV remote control or a plastic card-key. In fact, the keys were the real, metal variety. Although my room had a private shower, the shower was just down the corridor - not an arrangement I've seen before.

The room was small - little more than twice the space occupied by the single bed - but clean and tidy, even if the sink had a crack. The bed linen was clean, fresh and looked reasonably new.

I did use that shower. The shower room was tiny, and didn't smell all that fresh, but in a room that small, with nowhere to fit an extractor fan, a degree of damp's probably unavoidable. There wasn't much space (or dry floor) for changing, so I'd recommend anyone else staying here goes to the shower room with as little clothing as decency allows. Once the shower was running, the dank smell went away quickly, and there was plenty of hot water.

Back to the room, and "lights out" time. The bed was comfy - so comfy, in fact, that I overslept. Entirely my fault, and it didn't matter - I had plenty of time in hand the following day, and the check-out time was a very civilised 11am or 12pm (I forget).

The breakfast buffet downstairs, included in the room price, runs from 8am to 12pm - even more civilised! No surprises- it's the usual Dutch fayre of breads (toasters provided), cold meats, cheeses, preserves and cereals. The orange juice was fresh-pressed and tasty, the coffee also fresh and not at all bitter. I didn't notice any hot foods, but I wasn't in the mood anyway, so might have missed them. The breakfast room is bright, airy.and pleasant, and there was no sense that the owners were in any hurry to get rid of their guests.

The departure was as friendly and civilised as the arrival.

Would I come back? You betcha. I'm not convinced it's an ideal hotel for a young family, for for a solo business traveller, or a young couple without lots of money to spend, it's about as good as you get on a budget in Amsterdam, and it'll be at the top of my list for next year.

Room Tip: It's a small family hotel, with not many rooms, so you may well not get a choice. The road outs...