“Perfect stay”

Flying Pig Downtown
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Flying Pig for Easter and we had such a great experience. Have no complaints whatsoever. Having previously experienced Amsterdam I can honestly say this hostel is up there and I would 100% recommend. The location is a stone throw from Central Station, drinks from bar are cheap, smoking area is comfortable and friendly, rooms are basic but clean. My shower was a power shower which was fantastic. Overall really added to our Amsterdam experience and put some confidence back that not all hostels are overpriced and extremely over rated, Will without a doubt return here ASAP! LOL XX

Room Tip: We travelled ina large group so we were able to have a prvate room, personally I am not keen on shar...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
FlyingPigDT, Front Office Manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your great feedback! It's really nice to hear you had such a good time with us.

Thanks again and hopefully we'll see you again in the future!

Cheers,

The Flying Pig
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wallasey
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here 3 nights recently and all I can say is I had a great time. Location is really good 2mins from centraal station, the rooms are basic but clean the and I found the beds pretty comfy my only complaint about the rooms are there a bit small the showers work and are hot, but don't expect a power shower. The bars cheap, reasonably well stocked and also does bar snacks pizza's etc but the main thing is it has a really good vibe about the place and the nightlife is pretty good. The smoking room's good really chilled ha!! and you'll find some really interesting characters in there and all the staff are really friendly and helpful.The main thing is the people that what makes the place so special. Just remember it's a hostel in Amsterdam not the Hilton it is lively at night and you will see stoned people and smell a bit of weed its AMSTERDAM GREAT PLACE GREAT PEOPLE..

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at this hostel for one night last year. It really isn't that nice. The location of the hostel is really good, it's very central and close to most tourist attractions... but it's really dirty and the room I stayed in was really small. The bed wasn't that comfortable and the storage lockers for your luggage was really small. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone... I've stayed at a lot of hostels throughout europe... and this one is definitely below average. Like I said, it's not awful... but it's really gross and dirty and the shower was disgusting. I normally don't bother writing reviews... but I always read reviews before booking hotels and after reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews for this place (I'm really confused about this), I feel like I should write a review for ppl who actually read reviews that is more representative of what this place was like.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tezap
FlyingPigDT, Assistant manager at Flying Pig Downtown, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate it you took the time to reply, cause we can learn a lot from it for the future.

We are very sorry to read your stay with us was not what you expected. Fortunately, since last year some things have changed. A lot of the lockers have been replaced, so they are brand new and bigger than the other ones! We also improved our cleanliness a lot. The rooms and public toilets/showers were being cleaned already daily, but now even more often during the day. You can also reach our staff 24 hours a day, so if you find something not clean, just let them know and they will sort it out right away.

Thanks again for your time and letting is know how your experience with us was.

Safe travels!

Cheers,

The Flying Pig
London
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We had a great time at the hostel, 10 girls ready to party and thats what we did, great location, fantastic staff, and not expensive, I would go back and stay if i returned to Amstterdam.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Horribly smelly hostel with central location and lively clientele. I was backpacking with two other friends and we all disliked the hostel but appreciated its value and location. We didn't feel particularly safe there but it was cheep and fun

• Stayed March 2012