All reviews breakfast room steep stairs canal view no elevator great location within walking distance anne frank house yogurt hard boiled eggs third floor lower floor charming hotel sitting room heavy luggage family room cold cuts would stay here again
Reviewed 13 August 2018

As a solo traveler, this hotel was the perfect place for me location-wise (aside from the bonus which was the beautiful canal view from my windows). I was able to easily navigate through the streets of Amsterdam simply because the hotel is located near the popular tourist destinations.
The hotel though has no elevators and with steep stairs, I was lucky enough to have my room at the first floor but still I needed to really watch my step each time. It can be a bit dangerous especially if you will carry a lot of belongings with you and for the elderly and kids. My room was good for 2 so it was very spacious. The hotel has the style maintained from the old days, so the furnitures were mostly made of wood. I arrived during a very hot day so it was really very uncomfortable as the room had no air conditioning unit just an electric fan. Even if the windows were already up and open, still it was very warm. Though it gets colder during nighttime, an AC unit can be very useful especially during summer. With my room next to the road and then the canals, it was kind of noisy also as I was hearing the chatters from the people passing by, the cars, etc. It was a bit of a challenge sleeping during my first night but then I got used to it afterwards. The breakfast was okay, nothing fancy about it.

Room Tip: Select the rooms with the canal view.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Very well located, small, fairly basic hotel. Within easy walking distance of all central Amsterdam's attractions, and all the better for being out of the bustle (and much less attractive) very central area. Tea/coffee in the room and a bottle of water (particularly bearing in mind the heatwave during our visit) would have been nice, and don't expect a lavish breakfast, but none of this spoilt an excellent stay. Tip - upgrade to a larger room that overlooks the canals.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as a party of 8 for my 50th birthday celebrations. Hotel is perfectly located and our room overlooked the canals. Staff were lovely and hotel was more than adequate for our needs. The only downside really was that the rooms could do with updating a bit and air con would have been great given the heatwave, also the breakfast was very basic. But all in all, the location and very friendly staff more than made up for this!!!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Arrived late evening at the hotel, staff very helpful, good wifi, excellent breakfast and luggage room where we left our cases the next day. As with all these canal type hotels the stairs are steep. This is NOT a criticism but just a fact of life of these thypes of buildings. Superb location. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lower floor due to steep stairs
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2018

Four of us stayed here recently after our cruise ended. On the plus side we offer the following: great location, adequate included breakfast, friendly staff and plenty of old world charm.
On the other side : while there it was pretty hot and the place does not offer air conditioning, just a fan, and all that does is move the hot air around. We opened the windows and while some cool air was out there at night so are lots of street noises. The location right on a canal is beautiful but it really did not get quiet until quite late and then it started up again early the next morning.
While not wishing to nit pick, the bathroom amenities were simply cheap.
Also be alert that there are no elevators and the stairs are narrow and steep but that is really part of its charm.
I think this hotel would be better in spring and autumn when temperatures would not be an issue.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple