“This would be average if rated 2-star but is not worthy of 3! Delightful staff, however!”
Review of Belfort Hotel

Belfort Hotel
Ranked #351 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 August 2014

For the price the Belfort charges, they give exactly what you pay for. It's very simple, very basic. The rooms are clean enough but not sparkling, and there is the must of humidity everywhere that gets into one's clothing and belongings. It's far from the center of town, in a kind of suburban enclave, so you must expect to spend time in traveling. But the staff was enormously helpful and knowledgeable about their city. They all spoke perfect English -- one girl named Yu, who has never been to the States or to England, said she got her Minnesota accent (I kid you now!) from watching American television. Indeed, the room was equipped with a tiny 1980's style television hooked to a cable that played at least four channels of nonstop American television, shown either with Dutch subtitles or without explanation. The entire time I was there, the large flat-screen television in the lobby played nonstop football games with commentary in English. The internet is only in the lobby, which is a bit of a strain if you are trying to stay in touch with the outside world, and the room is so cramped there'd be no place to put your computer if there were a connection there. Overall, this is a place that should be rated 2-star (furniture is old, worn; carpeting is worn and dingy) but has 3, for reasons I could not discern. (After my 2-star hotel in Paris, I am guessing any place without bedbugs gets three stars? The Belfort definitely has NO bedbugs!) I am going to rate this place poor, but if it had two stars, then I'd rate it average.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor behind the reception desk, and it was very quiet, very private. I had a vi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Carla S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Belfort Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2014

first impressions are everything and for this hotel they were shocking just like our room. our room was tiny and looked like a hotel. we had damp stained curtains, moldy windows and shower, some kind of foam coming out of the fire alarm (not safe!) and to finish off on our last day there was a frequent smell of sewage. on the upside we did have free WiFi, TV and the beds were clean.

Room Tip: if you wanted to stay at this hotel. have a room on the first floor, they are a little cleaner and s...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I never stay before in a 3stars hotel so poor, old, neglected! The hotel is classified with 3stars, but in other country this hotel certain can"t win 2stars.
The first think when arrived in hotel was a great disappointing.
The "restaurant" were we served breakfast have tables from ancient time. Breakfast was so poor!
Don't booked this hotel if you want human standards!

Room Tip: No tips. Book another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel is just bed and breakfast. Don´t expect nothing more. The room I get was so small I almost could turn until I closed the door. Anyway all was clean and usable. I could sleep which means there was some noise but acceptable.

Breakfast was standard continental. Everything made of artificial products. For a night during business trip is this hotel OK but don´t expect nothing more...

Hotel has a good location to travel into Amsterdam center or other parts of this magical city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jiri222
Reviewed 26 July 2014

After I had booked the hotel I looked at the reviews and nearly had heart faliure! therefore wasnt looking foreward to going! My friend said we would see what it was like and go from there
When we arrived the girl on reseption wasnt friendly at all but gave us our key and directions to the room although it was small and in need of updating I have to say it wasnt as bad as I had thought!
The bed was very comfy and clean the bathroom was very clean and the shower was great! The room was cleaned and clean towels provided very day sheets changed very 2 days
Although the staff were not friendly they were very helpful once you engaged them in convesation!
The breakfast was basic but adequate with fruit cereal bread ham cheese eggs and toast tea coffee and fruit juices - The breakfast staff did stand and eat food in front of the guests and seemed put out if she couldnt use the toaster! also she could have been wore smater attire!
Yes the tram stopped outside Yes it was noisy but for the price I feel it was good value for money
It was only a 10/15 minute walk into the centre which we did every day of our stay so never went on the tram.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple