Hotel Hestia
  • Pool
US$ 299
US$ 289
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$ 277
US$ 179
US$ 113
US$ 108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$ 201
US$ 365
US$ 238
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Quiet area, wasn't too expensive, extremely attentive staff - for instance the receptionist was trying to make me have at least a tea/coffee before leaving when checking out very early, before breakfast had started.

Usual Amsterdam problems - tiny room and all that - but the hotel DOES have a lift and the stairs weren't terrible either.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Cian D
Reviewed 8 November 2011

my friend and i staied in this hotel for couple of nights. i like the garden for relaxing after breakfast. clean room, and friendly staff. i forgot how much was this....i thought it was expencive for me to save up but i would stay at this place next year too.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank kazy2
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The hotel is located on a quiet street, but yet was only a five minute walk to Leidseplein with all it's happening nightlife and abundant restaurants, and less than a ten minute walk to the museums (Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum). It's also a five minute walk from the bus that takes you from/to the Schipol airport, and the museum tram stop is nearby.

Our room was quite small but comparable to other European boutique hotels. The have wi-fi but charge for it (12 euro for 5 hours). A continental breakfast (cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, toast, cereal, juice and coffee) is included and is in a nice room overlooking a patio garden, with the resident cat lounging on the sofa by the window. It's nice that the breakfast goes until 10:30 am.

The staff was great, the co-owner (husband) was very friendly and quite entertaining at times. Sometimes it's that kind of memorable touch that makes or breaks a hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a lower level, as the staircase is precarious and the elevator is tiny and super slow.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kris U
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Very quiet hotel (with the exception of Gregory the cat) with friendly and helpful staff. Good location particularly for museums and trams. Single room more than adequate with a small balcony overlooking garden of hotel. Recommended if you want a small, friendly hotel in a busy city.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Cap86
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I'll start with the positives:
First, the staff at this hotel are fantastic! Ruth (I think was her name) was so helpful and friendly. She answered all our stupid questions with a smile.
Second, the location is good. It is steps from Leidseplein while still quiet enough. We, of course, walked everywhere, but it is convenient to have so many places to eat or grab a drink nearby.
Lastly, the breakfast and breakfast area were nice. We ate outside in the garden area the first day. There were breads, cereals, meats, cheeses, and other things that kept us full until lunch.
Okay, now for the not-so-good:
The room: We stayed in a small double, which was small but not the smallest we stayed in. It just didn't feel clean enough, although I think it could just be the walls and bedding and such. A paint job and some new linens would go a long way.
The bathroom: It smelled.
In general: We didn't bring our cell phones because it was cheaper for us to buy a calling card to call the U.S. I used the card at the hotel but had to pay per minute just to call out. I don't understand why they would charge you to make a free call. I don't care if every other hotel in Amsterdam does it, too; that doesn't make it right. We stayed on the 4th floor and walked up the incredibly steep spiral stairs every time we needed to get to the room because the lift was VERY slow.

The city: Amsterdam was not my favorite city. It is really neat and cute with all the canals and old houses, but it all felt dirty. There were urinals on the street! Also, my husband and I had a few beers at a bar and I had to pay to use the restroom there! I was already paying 5.20 euros per beer and I had to pay .50 euro to use the restroom! While we did enjoy the Anne Frank House and the museums, I don't think we would go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple