“Great place for an extended stay in Amsterdam”

Prinsengracht Hotel
Ranked #173 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I approached this hotel with some trepidation, as I found some negative reviews that were troubling. Nevertheless, we went with this hotel - which had everything we wanted (canal view, location convenient to but not "in" the center, and included breakfast) - and I'm glad we did. While others complained about their admittedly absurd practice of charging for additional coffee pods in the room, this didn't bother me because I rarely have coffee in the room anyway. The staff were all friendly and helpful. One member even made a call for us to sort out an excursion we wanted to take (Muiderslot via Amsterdam Tourist Ferry from IJburg - highly recommended, by the way) while he was actually temporarily in charge of both the front desk and the breakfast room. The decor could use a bit of TLC or updating, but we weren't there for the decor. We were just looking for a "reasonably" priced room (hotel rooms in Amsterdam are relatively expensive) in a nice location. The quiet stretch of Prinsengracht, steps from both the Rijksmuseum and Rembrandtplein, fit the bill for us. Also, we obtained a far better price directly from the hotel than via online booking sites.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are available at a premium. Choose wisely when booking. Contact hotel to be sure.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

This hotel worked out very well for my solo stay. I felt safe and it was conveniently located. As others have said, the rooms are small but I had all the space I needed and I wasn't there to be in the hotel anyway! And I really enjoyed the view.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank murphey1030
Reviewed 26 April 2017

When I made a last minute booking I made a mistake with my email. Apparently, the confirmation email was sent to someone and they cancelled my booking thinking it was a mistake. When I arrived a few hours later after making my booking, I was suprised to find out that my room had been cancelled and rented out. I asked the manager if they would please refund the money seeing how they rented the room out anyways, so no loss of money for the hotel. Although the manager was nice in handling the situation he said they can´t return my money. The manager said if the room was not rented out they would have rented it to me without double charging me, however the room was rented out to someone else and he had no problem charging me. That´s bad management.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
e s, Front Office Manager at Prinsengracht Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to write this review about your recent experience with us at Prinsengracht Hotel! Your feedback is very valuable to us since it gives us the opportunity to improve and maintain the high level of service we strive to provide for each of our guests.

How ever I disagree with couple of points which you have mentioned in your review. Regarding the last minute booking, as you might have seen it your self by writing that you made mistake with your email not really true though.
If I remember good you have received the confirmation of the booking from booking.com and the same email was used to cancel the booking.
I did my research regarding this even though you have heard it your self from booking.com no one can cancel the booking if they are not log in to their account.

You might have noticed we are in the middle of the city. I have apologised on the same day for the inconvenience even though you have made this mistake by your self.

Regarding the refund it is been explained to you once the booking is made non refundable there is nothing we can do about it, the policy you have read it when you made the booking.

May be you forgot to mention that we found a hotel for you in such short noticed on the kind day, we did our best and found near by hotel. I even called the hotel for you to hold the room.

I hope that this might help you remember some facts which you have forgotten to put it in the review.

Kind regards,
Mohammad Zazai

Reviewed 10 April 2017

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in June 2016, the staff were very accommodating, it was nice to have a breakfast included in a small location and the room was well equipped. The view outside the hotel onto one of the canals was nice and the hotel is well located not too central, but not too far and just a short walk to one of the infamous Amsterdam signs and the Heineken Brewery… We enjoyed the hotel and we would consider going back in the future….

Room Tip: Depending on your health the lift is quite slow so bear this in mind when requesting a room.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend with three boys. Super friendly staff supply you with maps, and tips on public transportation. Rooms modern in style, beds comfortable. Bath rooms must have been redone recently as they were top modern as well as squeaky clean.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family